skydiverek

Head-down and Sit-fly tandems (videos)

Wow, an out of sequence or reserve fire would put that tandem pair in serious jeopardy.

Once again we see the difference between an instructor and someone who just hauls meet and doesn't care. It would be one thing without a student on the front, but an experienced skydiver. Some TMs have had ratings suspended for doing as such, too.[:/]

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The first one looked like an experinced jumper, or at least a well coached student!

The second video was retarded.... EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEME!!! :SB|

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

the first one didnt look lke anything like an experienced jumper. The instructor rocked it out though. I dont think its that big of a deal if someone does it every now and then. ITs slightly more dangerous but not alot. what are the odds of a premature on a good, well maintained system?
Anyway I was to distracted by the interesting hair line and the serious camera equipment someone was sporting on the ground.

the second video was super LAME and had the makings of a cluster f@ck. And YES the music sucked on both. I dont think Thats the music that was originally on the video though.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

the sit fly was just munted.
The head down was some wqicked skilled flying:)
both probably more dangerous than needs be, but i did like the HDB|

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Mr Clawson may be a badass, but if he did not report that HD tandem, he is a peace of Sh!t. No i didnt studer. I have no respect for anyone that alows that to happen. Even if the student is just on a "ride". That person was on a tandem and asked for no more danger than the tandem provided,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

someone needs to lighten up. Are you an instructor? have you ever done a tandem? If not go to another forum. Did it end up in a side spin?....NO! What do you really know about side spins? Ever been in one? How many tandem fatalities happen in this country every year from freefall stability problems? Exactly!!! I hate to inform you, but it wasnt as dangerous as you are acting like it is.
I've never done a head down tandem. But i'm sure the instructors that have, dont make a habit of it. I doubt the increased risk of a competent flyer that does an occasional head down tandem is even measureable. probably like %.00001

disclaimer: head down tandems are dangerous and should not be attempted. HAHA:P

anyway....how about that hair line? WOW!
I mean really......shave that sh@t off or ante up for the rest of those hair plugs. I'll be damned if I would walk around with a scalp halo. WTF! Looks like some kind of race track for lice. melonapolis 500.

by the way, the only thing mr clawson is a piece of sh@t for is making a 10 minute tandem video. Jesus christ, I had watch it 4 times before i stayed awake long enough to get to the skydive. I especially love the shot of his feet as he walks through the grass. What lovely grass! I dont get it. I call penalty for excessive B-roll

How many tandem fatalities happen in this country every year from freefall stability problems?

Air is air and gravity is gravity in all parts of the world.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200805220633.html

Isn't 1 fatality or even the increased chance of one enough reason to never push the limits when working with a student?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

one out of a kazillion isnt so bad. Dont know if he was tryin head down or not but it doesnt seems to be the case. A delayed response seems primarily to have caused that. you will never take the human element out of skydiving. Panic response cant accurately be predicted. Truth be known more sidespins are probably caused by lazy "standard" exits. then headdown tandem attempts. A head down tandem will probably have a TM paying more attention to his exit than just another "standard" exit. Laziness and complacency create side spins.

Laziness and complacency create side spins

The one I got into a few years ago wasn't from either, it was from the most peculiar and most perfect (for a side spin) body position I've ever had a student get into before or since.

Then again, I'm not one for freeflying a tandem or holding drogue past clearing the airplane and being stable.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i wonder if you'd change your tune if that extra fatality was your child.
Don't worry, I'm sure that tandem instructor has learned that they could loose their ratings, and that its not cool to risk other people to try and look cool, and that if something happens it won't be defensible in court. I'm sure they've grown up and are a bit embarrased. NO worries, I've done stupid stuff too.
Be safe with tandy's, they are clueless and scared, no matter how much they cover it up.
Those stuck in maya, seek to be seen.

Ever wore hair plugs? Maybe they're not as dangerous or stupid looking as you think...I mean people are always wearing them.

The body position, the increased risk, the possiblity of inducing a side spin (I've had 'em...aint fun), the lack of deceleration before tossing the drogue, the very brief skydive the student received, the position of the vidiot....deaths in the past from similar carelesness.
How many reasons does one need to compound the risk to the point of an incident?

It makes us all look foolish and risky. Not just instructors. This isn't how you do tandems.
Your indifference is bothersome.[:/]

wouldnt call it indifference, I just think some posters blew it out of proportion. I stand by the FACT that head down tandems have not contributed to the incident reports in any measureable way (if ever).
I wont be doing them, mostly because I dont see the point. It makes the video suck too.

ALso: peoples lack of reading comprehension on here is bothersome. Totally missed my point about the hair plugs.

Agree the first one was no way an exp jumper ... kinda look at HD and SF with a tandem as unacceptible ... bit like hookin a tandem to land ... Its the student / passengers jump .. not the instructor ... and dont see why the instructor has the right to make the jump any more riskier than it already is ... and it also gives them a shit video

The so called instructor on the SF jump should prob have his rating pulled

I just think some posters blew it out of proportion. I stand by the FACT that head down tandems have not contributed to the incident reports in any measureable way (if ever)

This could be true. Though it might be because HD tandems are very rare overall..

However, what is a fact is that online people are much safer skydivers. In real life the situation is much different.

For example: How many people here on DZ.com has said backflying under tandems is dangerous and should never be done ?

And how many cameraflyers frequently film tandems from underneath ?

Now Im not really saying what is right and what is wrong. Im just saying it sounds a bit hypocrite ? Doesnt it ?

I just think some posters blew it out of proportion. I stand by the FACT that head down tandems have not contributed to the incident reports in any measureable way (if ever)

This could be true. Though it might be because HD tandems are very rare overall..

However, what is a fact is that online people are much safer skydivers. In real life the situation is much different.

For example: How many people here on DZ.com has said backflying under tandems is dangerous and should never be done ?

And how many cameraflyers frequently film tandems from underneath ?

Now Im not really saying what is right and what is wrong. Im just saying it sounds a bit hippocrite ? Doesnt it ?

None of our guys do..... ever. And they make great videos.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson