skydiveoc

precision vs icarus tandem mains

I'm trying to remember... I do know that Icarus contracted with Precision Aerodynamics to produce the Icarus Extreme canopies in the USA back in the 1990's. That's basically all I remember. George Galloway should be able to answer your question, and I think you can find the contact info on Precision's web site.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I own two Precision built Icarus tandem mains (one 330, one 365), one Icarus 365 (Spain), and one Precision 330.

Ironically the one I prefer with a heavy student is the oldest Precision Icarus 365 also with the most jumps on it. It has the most powerful flair. The "Icarus Icarus" 365 is my least favorite of all of them, it has a mushy flair, and I'll only jump it at lower wing loadings. The two 330s both built by Precision (one before the split) fly about the same.

I asked the Icarus guy what the differences were. He's obviously a bit bias, and said that the Precision canopy was "the old design" and that Icarus had to many changes to list.

If anyone is interested, I know where a prototype 360 is. It has no taper, I put one jump on it with a light experience jumper in front of me, and sent it back! I'm spoiled and other than the Icarus/Precision canopys I only have a couple of jumps on a Strong SET. I don't think that I honestly could have flaired that 360 with no taper without the help of my "student"!

Anyway, my suggestion between the two would be to "go American" and work with George!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

buy icarus canopies from nzaerosports. they are always evolving and improving as they get more and more feed back from the field.vectran linesets with a 2 steering 6 flare (vector/sigma people etc)work best.light to fly around with and tons of power in the flare

skydivefrance

Hi folks,

I am curious to know if it's possible to use a Tandem 365 Icarus Canopies line set Tandem on Precision tandem 365 canopy.

Is there some one done before and what is the feed back ?

I had Mel Lancaster reline a Precision 365 with Icarus 365 line trim. The Precision was very flat, and extremely snively on opening. Mel indicated that George Galloway had flattened out the angle on the Precision tandem mains at some point. My experience was that there was not enough air speed for an affective flair. With the Icarus line trim, it flew faster and flared nice but still way slow to open, so I sewed an "S fold" in the slider reducing the cord (fore aft measurement) by 6 or 7" which made it open better. So, basically had an experimental tandem on my hands at that point. That main had come to me in a complete rig, I'll never buy another Precision tandem main.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

stayhigh

did that precision turned into icarus? or half way in between?

It flew nice once open, but openings were pretty inconsistant so nobody was interested in jumping it. I replaced it last year with a NZ Aerosports 364.

I now have three NZ Aerosports mains, one 330, two 364s. The 330 has a turn that you need to compensate for on final so you can "let it fly". Holding that toggle on final slows it down enough to be fairly noticeable in the flair.

AC DZ

You can compensate for the built in turn by adjusting the harness webbing. I forgot and not sure which side you have to make it shorter tho. I believe you make the side that turns longer than the other side. So if the canopy turns left, you shorten up the right side a little and lengthen the left side a little.

You only make that mistake once and you'll figure it out.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

stayhigh

You can compensate for the built in turn by adjusting the harness webbing. I forgot and not sure which side you have to make it shorter tho. I believe you make the side that turns longer than the other side. So if the canopy turns left, you shorten up the right side a little and lengthen the left side a little.

You only make that mistake once and you'll figure it out.

I'll try that next season. Good thought.

AC DZ