blackout

First time tandems

Just seemed to me that alot of first time tandems get very sick after the ride, anyone else seen this or agree?

Took a few friends for their first tandems and 2 of them yakked on the way home, and NO I wasnt driving

any speculation as to what could cause this or how to prevent it? My friends are all healthy people who eat fairly well.

I would say it is not very common for first time tandems to get sick. I have 785 tandems and have had 3 people vomit and probably 20 or so feel a little woozy. Some of this depends on the instructors attention to how their student feels (get a woozy student under canopy and spiraling will generally kick them over the edge). If my student seems concerned on the ground I explain that if they are the type of person that would get motion sick on a boat the may get motion sick under canopy.
Kirk

any speculation as to what could cause this or how to prevent it?

The oldest trick in the book probably would be getting THEM to steer the canopy as much as possible. Motion sickness from "being moved" is generally a whole lot worse than from "moving'.

YMMV.

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I would say that it's not *very* common.

Things that a Tandem Instructor can do to help prevent illness:

Proper Harness adjustment. This is probably one of the leading causes of under canopy "woozy-ness", as an improperly adjusted harness can restrict blood flow to and from the extremities, causing an "altered" consiousness.

Assess your student. Ask on the ground if they get motion sickness. Adjust your freefall according to their answer. Ask how they feel after the canopy opens, adjust flight accordingly. Make the harness more comfortable. Give them the controls and assist them with flying. Ask how they feel after your first set of turns. Adjust remaining flight accordingly.

Loosen the harness. After landing loosen the harness as soon as it is safe to do so.

Things students can do to prevent illness:

Eat, Hydrate, tell the instructor if they are subject to motion sickness.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I know the Jim Wallace School has been using the bands for more than a few years, and I think it's a great idea. I might pick up a set.

As for spins, my student is paying big money to make a skydive and have some fun. I'm going to do whatever they request within the limits of safety. That means no freefall flips, but most everything requested under canopy is fair game. The key is to monitor and check with the student to see the effects of the activities.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

In the briefing we talk about that. And there is also natural pils of ginger that works really well with out side effect. So well in fact that next summer I will have some spare ones in the office.
With those you don't fall a sleep so customer can drive back home safely.
Different type of harness can also make a huge difference. The old V2 harness was very bad for that.
At our DZ it's happening on every 300 jumps or so.

Richard
When you think you're good...this is when you become dangerous.

Skip the #300 and go directly to #301 just kidding couldnt resist...I have student focus on the horizon under canopy they tend to want to look down. Also if you do spin them "unwind" their inner ear by doing one 360 in the opposite direction (scientific proven fact...really)

Sorry for intruding as a newbie, but on one of the loads I was on recently, a female first time tandem nearly fainted because she was super nervous and hadn´t eaten breakfast: Low Bloodsugar.
And my own experience as a still a little bit nervous jumper (due to low experience): I feel ALOT better jumping if I had eaten breakfast before.
Just thought some input from one of your recent "passengers" might be interesting :)

And my own experience as a still a little bit nervous jumper (due to low experience): I feel ALOT better jumping if I had eaten breakfast before.

I, personally, cannot eat before jumping in the a.m. Keep myself hydrated, usually eat after the first or second jump... But what do i know...
Today is a better day!!!