tqsmile

Energy

Hi all just a question and some advice needed.
What is good for energy during jumping....doing sixteen tandems in a day....to keepyour energy levels up.I an 40 reasonably fit but need something to boost myself naturally.I use a sports drink but want to get away eating junkfood when hungry around the middle of the day.
Any suggestions?B|
TQ
I am me and you are you, so deal with it!!!
www.skydivepe.com

The first step is keeping well hydrated.
Often I find myself tired in the middle of a busy afternoon, with the start of a headache.
The solution is to drink a couple of tall glasses of water.
A variety of sports drinks (i.e. Gatorade) help, just avoid drinks with too much white sugar.
Fruit sugars last twice as lone.
Also plan ahead by taking a sandwich or three to the DZ. Sometimes you only have time to grab a sandwich as you walk towards the plane.
Also keep some (low-sugar) granola bars handy. I hate to tell you how many hundred granola bars I have eaten on the way to altitude.
The greatest challenge involves wolfing down a granola bar, briefing the student, hooking up the student and doing the whole hand-cam routine without getting crumbs down the back of the student's neck!

Put some electolyte tablets in the water, water without electrolytes sometimes just dilutes electrolyte balance and can make dehydration worse. Low sugar, peanuts, fruits, are great, a healthy trail mix. Also, alot of people don't realize how much water we loose through our lungs by just breathing in dry air. Dry air takes it out of our lungs. Up and down all day in airplanes, skydiving, especially due to dry air at higher altitudes, it takes its toll. I used to do alot of tandems in arizona, I'd be in the airplane for up to 7 to 8 hours a day, I could never stay hydrated well, only just stay on top of it, especially cause if you drink all you need, you gotta pee alot, and when your doing tandems all day long, thats so hard. Good luck!
Those stuck in maya, seek to be seen.

well this might not be an option for you, but I keep a camel back in the plane. I always sit with my back against the pilots seat. (king air or caravan) On the first load of the day I take my camel back and hang it on the back of the seat. I have two bladders for it which i freeze overnight. They gradually melt from load to load. That way i have some fluids waiting for in the plane at all times. Its very convienent. When I finish one bladder I will swap them out. Two usually gets me through the day.

If you have this option I highly recommend it. there are no bottles or garbage to dispose of, and its extremely convenient to have fluids waiting for you in the plane. Also you can stick snacks in the outside zipper compartment.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

Put some electolyte tablets in the water, water without electrolytes sometimes just dilutes electrolyte balance

If you want to save some money and get exactly the same effect, you can put half a teaspoon of regular table salt per liter in some lemonade. If you want to be scientific about it you can use this recipe:

1 litre of water
7 teaspoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoons of tablesalt

use tea instead of water if you want some flavour.

The result is an isotonic fluid for 1/100 of the price of Gatorade.

Not a TI, but I have made my own homemade energy drink. If you substitute Morton Lite Salt for regular salt, you get half potassium chloride and half sodium chloride, so you replace both salt and potassium. Bonus electrolytes. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I actually don't think thats such a super good idea. Not sure what Lite Salt is since I don't live in the US. But if you want the replace lost electrolytes, sodium is needed in far greater amounts than potassium. Infusions used to rehydrate people contains about 20 times more sodium than potassium. Some doesn't contain any potassium at all.