Kimblair13

Handcam camera and lens

And I though I was good at handy. One of the smoothest Ive seen. Awesome job. Where is the DZ?

I have a hard time getting a landing shot like that. I have an ingrained habit of flaring with my hands back like Im doing a dip.

Yes, of ALL the tandem handcam footage I've seen, by far, Kim is the best. She flies with that one hand down in front of their face so effortlessly. I've stopped doing handcams, but I may start back with some new stuff. No doubt, if I do go back to using handcams it is because Kim's videos motivated me to get better.

steveOrino

This is one of my favorite landing shots to get

It looks as if you are grabbing your left 'camera-side' toggle rather different than 'what the rest of the world does' - i.e. when I grab my toggle like I'm used to, the last 10 seconds prior to landing show "an interesting view of the TI's reserve container + the dropzone tilted @ 90 degrees..." This is a result of the way the camera is positioned on the back of my hand ("upright" - if that makes any sense...) and I can't figure out how to work around that.

In your video I just watched on youtube that is obviously not the case. (view of the reserve container + tilted dropzone...) You have worked around it and yours is by far the better video, compared to f.i. the landing footage I shot only last weekend...(I'm not uploading it somewhere - just take my word for it :)
Of course we don't want to risk losing a toggle in the flare, so I gather that you don't want that either - but what is it that you do different there from what the rest of us do?
(Please, please, please - teach this old dog a new trick... :$:PB|)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Hmm...I can't really say I hold my toggle very different. I do rotate my wrist forward a little bit to get a better shot and I always try to be in a little bit of break with my left hand.
I think being very conscious of your camera hand helps ALOT.
Usually when you are landing that's what you are thinking about. But, if you can manage to be aware of where your camera is and "make" yourself keep it where you want...you'll eventually learn how to land with it feeling natural.
I also try to flare and turn pushing forward to keep from filming the side of my body or rig...having smaller parachutes with super light toggle pressure makes it easier to hold my hand however I want.

This is one of my favorite landing shots to get. Sorry the conversion quality from DVD for youtube is lame...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8DryRf3CEQ

I even get a kiss! :$

Kim,

That was a very nice video and really nice handy Cam work... That place looks like it runs like a machine. Seats for the passengers. I like the beginning with the instructors in a room and the passengers are brought in and introduced to the instructor. Everything all laid out ready to go. Also it looks like you have an editing station there as well? Is what we saw in the video SOP followed by the edit then set up to do it again? How many loads go a day following that procedure. Just curious..

Nice video though..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

That place looks like it runs like a machine. Seats for the passengers. I like the beginning with the instructors in a room and the passengers are brought in and introduced to the instructor. Everything all laid out ready to go. Also it looks like you have an editing station there as well? Is what we saw in the video SOP followed by the edit then set up to do it again? How many loads go a day following that procedure. Just curious..

Yes...everything is really well structured here. Everything on the video is what happens every jump. We run with a given number of TI's...all full time. Each TI has his/her own gear (rig, harness, goggles, glove, camera, editing station) so we don't deal with favorites and bullshit.
Since 95% of our students are tourists, they are all picked up from their hotel by our van drivers. Once they arrive to the office they spend about an hour with our office people going over paperwork and questions.
After they are ready (decided if they want to go to 8,10,12, or 14 and if they want to buy video ahead of time or wait to see it first) they come in to our room. We go jump and do our thing.
When we get back us TI's go to our room and pack/edit at the same time. The students are waiting in the office where they can also see their video as we edit them.
There are no packers here, so you pack for yourself always.
That takes about 10-12 minutes, then the students are brought into our room again to decide if they want video, if they haven't already.
If they buy they get it right then. Once we're done and they're happy they are taken back to their hotel.
Then we do that all over again. Scheduled office arrival times of 650, 8, 920, 1040, 12, 120, 240 and 4. Some days we do 7-8 loads and some only 2-3.
:ph34r: