johnny1488

Full time tandem numbers

Just wondering how full timers around the country hold up. If you are a full time instructor, how did you do this year?

I started may 1st because of an injury and wound ip with 778 tandems ( and 3 coach jumps). Season ended in mid november here in NY. I packed all the tandems myself.

How bout others?

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

1540, but that includes AFF and Video.

right without being rude and asking how much you earn a year.........how much do you earn a year?

im assuming at LEAST 40dollars a jump?? that seems like decent money to me(but then im a student so everything is decent money)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
im assuming at LEAST 40dollars a jump??
HA! Oh man I wish I did tandems at that DZ.
Just so you know, instructors are well underpaid for what they actually do.

As a beginning student, I am very impressed by the skills, knowledge and concern my instructors show. Considering how them important they are to the current and future safety of the student, it's a real shame they aren't paid what they are worth.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

$30 per jump, plus packing money when we have the time. It is pretty good pay here but there are trade offs like the toll it takes on your body, never having a weekend to yourself, and I haven't made very many "fun" jumps this year. On the other hand I've almost finished my PPL.

It's a fun life but don't have illusions that you can get rich, or that it's not work.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It is pretty good pay here

How much of that "good pay" is going to health insurance or retirement? After being too old , too beat up, or possibly getting broken up from the tandems, you may realized the "pretty good pay" is a "pipe dream", and the only one making money off of you is the DZO. [:/]

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

There's always someone with the ink still drying on their rating cards that's waiting to do your jumps for less.

I thinking I am pretty fortunate then to live here in that case. My instructors have been around for quite some time and really seem to have my welfare in mind. They also seem to really enjoy what they do.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

im assuming at LEAST 40dollars a jump??

HA! Oh man I wish I did tandems at that DZ.

Just so you know, instructors are well underpaid for what they actually do.

thats mad that it isnt that much(in my uninformed opinion obviously) im in ireland were there are ony 2 dz's at the mo and the one i jump at charges 320euro for a tandem so about 400dollars. i think that all the instructors have a share of the dz tho as its only new so it could be very different to how things are normally run.

gl in the future ill bow out of this instructor discussion :)

How much of that "good pay" is going to health insurance or retirement? After being too old , too beat up, or possibly getting broken up from the tandems, you may realized the "pretty good pay" is a "pipe dream", and the only one making money off of you is the DZO.

Hence my very short stint (1 1/2 years) as a "full time" DZ guy. Made skydiving my hobby again, instruct/coach/tandems for fun and a "real" job for the paycheck, retirement and health benefits. I more then doubled my take home pay by simply getting hired, nevermind the health insurance and retirement, vacation, holidays...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It is up to the skydiver to take care of his health insurance and retirement. There is a lot of worker out there, in States for example, that doesn't earn $30000/year. Most of them don't have any health or retirement plan with their job either.
Yes there is maybe 10 DZ or so in US with multiple turbines where the owner make a very good living out of it. But there is also a lot of DZ out there where the instructors make more than the DZO with out all the problems relate to the business.

All in all it is always the instructor choice.
What is the % of Americans that earn more than $30 to $35 K/year?
When you think you're good...this is when you become dangerous.

Households income is very different from an individual income.

There is some + and - for every job out there.
All in all it might not be the most lucrative job but it is far from being the worst.

Richard
When you think you're good...this is when you become dangerous.