popsjumper

Rate the AFFI Course Directors

What's wrong with arriving at the course prepared, having read everything possible, taught a few FJC's and done numerous practice jumps with experienced AFF I's??

Oh, wait, that'd require effort and time. Nevermind.

------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry you made all those negative assumptions. You missed the boat by a mile.

Personally I don't see anthing but positives to showing up to a course prepared and having read everything possible and done numerous practice jumps. IMO it is way better than just showing up and not having a clue. It does take some time and effort and hopefully it is the norm. To categorize these statements as negative is interesting to me. Of course I do realize that I too may have missed the boat by a mile. Fortunately I am a strong swimmer.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

Thanks!

Yes, and it makes one wonder, eh?...I have a great respect for all those who went through what I am going through now.

Funny story (well, sort of).
I have been doing Coach jumps for a long time and never had a serious problem in the sky...that is, until a Coach jump right after getting the AFFI stamp. The 14 jump lady, on a dive and dock, left the plane in a spin that got faster and faster to the point where she was totally out of control. It was so fast that there was no thought of timing the spin-stop...only option was to stick it in there and get it done. I surprised myself, and her, and got her stopped and stable with no injuries.
:)Trial by fire.

Much thanks to my CD for making me practice it over and over again in the pre-course until I could do it without hesitation and over-thinking.

The irony of it all...:S

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Anybody willing to provide input on who is a good AFFI course Director and who might not be?

I would like to have a good one. Billy Rhodes was NOT what I was hoping for. I'm looking for personable, fair, honest, consistent, and available.

Suggestions on a good one?

If you're not comfortable with expressing publicly, a PM will do nicely...confidentiality guaranteed.

Interesting - I have worked with Billy a few times over the years and he seems to be a good guy.

I recently watched my son go through his AFF course with Kip Lohmiller. Kip's course was excellent. Everything I know about Kip is very positive and he offers courses on a regular basis.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Just wanted to chime in with my own positive experience with Michael Wadkins.

I had always thought it sounded wrong when I heard stories of course directors talking down to candidates, trying to "break" them, etc., in direct contradiction to how we are supposed to teach AFF students. In my experience with the course, nobody needs to break you down -- you do it to yourself.

Michael truly led by example: he told us what we would learn, what we would be expected to do, the pass/fail criteria, and kept the tone positive but frank. I strive to do the same with every student I take up for a skydive.

I would recommend his course without any reservations whatsoever.

Any chance of posting some video of your eval jumps when you are done? I would like to compare your CD eval dives with Bram, Jay, and Kips.

I would -- but no video (the videographer I'd want on the load is taking it with me). I will say this. He will test you beyond your abilities. He will humble you!! I have never seen a flat spin go that high high that quick ... one word,WICKED!!

One thing sticks out about Mike. He is a GREAT teacher. I know the old school said be ready when you get there, but what is the problem with someone spending time with you in a 2 day pre-course and improving your skills dramatically? After those two days you will ready if you apply his knowledge. Heck, even if you flunked you'd be a better skydiver. If you want an easy AFFI Evaluator, you better not get Mike Wadkins! But if you want Great instruction from someone who will treat you with integrity, Mike is your man!

steveOrino

a 2 day pre-course

(To echo the others...) I don't know why they call it a "pre-course", when it's really "the course," since "the course" is really "the exam". Why don't they just cut the shit, have a true course, and then have a true exam? I really don't get it.

that is, of course, unless the course is a horse of a diffent color.
:D:D
I crack myself up.

Steve let us know the final results!
With Mike you can't go wrong! As you said, even not passing will make you better...by far!
Good luck, my man!

a 2 day pre-course

(To echo the others...) I don't know why they call it a "pre-course", when it's really "the course," since "the course" is really "the exam". Why don't they just cut the shit, have a true course, and then have a true exam? I really don't get it.

I can't follow your reasoning. Here is mine. In 1977 I went to Special Forces Pre-Phase. It prepared me for the "Q" course. Was the Pre Phase hard? Yes, was it helpful ... well I passed the Q and hundreds of others didn't. ;) I see AFFI Pre Course as the same. It helps. Will you pass the course just because you went to the pre ... no. I was well prepared for BOTH pre-phases/courses in my life. We'll see if the second one helped as much as the first.

steveOrino

I'm probably getting wound up over semantics. If the course is really a course, designed for true teaching and learning to occur - which also includes evaluation, then fine, it's a course. But if it's just a lengthy evaluation, call it that and don't bullshit people.

A horse is a horse, of course (of course!).
But it's not a course.

It is not a lengthy evaluation. It is a "pre-course" to assess your strengths and weakenesses, and give you good input so you will be ready when you take the course .... Just like Special Forces pre-phase was to the "Q" course.

My SF prephase was 2 months long (June-July '77) Some guys who were higher ranked and came from Ranger Battallions and the 82nd had considerably shorter Pre-phase. Do you think those who earned the Green Beret by attending Pre-phase longer than those who attended shorter ones did not earn that beret/flash?

Same analogy applies to Precourse candidates who pass the AFFI course.

steveOrino

It is not a lengthy evaluation. It is a "pre-course" to assess your strengths and weakenesses, and give you good input so you will be ready when you take the course .... Just like Special Forces pre-phase was to the "Q" course.

My SF prephase was 2 months long (June-July '77) Some guys who were higher ranked and came from Ranger Battallions and the 82nd had considerably shorter Pre-phase. Do you think those who earned the Green Beret by attending Pre-phase longer than those who attended shorter ones did not earn that beret/flash?

Same analogy applies to Precourse candidates who pass the AFFI course.

That's not what he is saying. A traditional aff "course" isn't what people typically think of as a learning course. It's not like taking a course at a college or anything like that. For the most part, you are expected to know everything already when you get there. That isn't to say you don't learn things. You just can't go into it w/o having learned pretty much everything you need to know already, which is what happens in a "pre-course." The words just don't really match up to what is happening. Its mostly just semantics.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Which is why it would make more sense to people if the names were changed to something like:

AFFI Skills Preparation
AFFI Evaluation

Which is why it would make more sense to people if the names were changed to something like:

AFFI Skills Preparation
AFFI Evaluation

I guess, but what does AFFI precourse imply if not "preparation"? And what does AFFI course imply if not "evaluation"? :S

BTW, back on thread topic (blocking the drift, and giving signals ....;))

My recent experience with Michael Wadkins of Xcelskydiving was the most informative experience I have EVER had in my 8 years of skydiving. Nuff said!

steveOrino

I guess, but what does AFFI precourse imply if not "preparation"? And what does AFFI course imply if not "evaluation"?

To me a course means a college course... you learn stuff and take a test at the end. A pre-course is just like a pre-course (ie pre-algebra)... a course designed for those people that may not have all of the skills/knowledge necessary to succeed in the course, but to groom them accordingly... a class that some students may require, but some students may already have the foundation and not need it.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Another thumbs up for Jay Stokes. The skydives were very challenging but not impossible, his evaluations were very fair and consistent, he presents a lot of learning opportunities in the practice jumps and he's more than willing to help you get "that good" - both on the ground evals and in the air.

And he's a genuinely nice person. I'd recommend his course to anybody.

I honestly hate how AFF learning is presented at this point. In an ideal world it should be more like an apprenticeship program.... go through a course followed by an evaluation, followed by a period of time working with a more experienced AFF instructor to gain additional real life experience with cats A through C jumps prior to release as a full fledged AFF instructor.

I agree and although it took me a long time to read the thread, I am old school and appreciated the AFFJM rating. Once you made it through you would be a reseve instructor under the tuddalidge of a more experienced AFFI. Once you aquirred some experience being in the air with the student you could graduate to main side and then eventually Level 4's or Cat D's and up...Similar to a Captain and Co captain of a commercial plane. Do your time in the Passenger seat and gradually earn the main seat through watching how different Captains fly.

Over the years I have had the opportunity to observe many course directors and instructor examiners in several different countries and have to say that Kip Lohmiller is by far the best I have ever seen. He will get my recomendation every time, I have even gone as far as convincing people to travel to the USA just to take his courses.

It was mentioned to me that USPA posted to its Group Members that it has pulled Billy Rhodes' ratings and revoked his membership. Does anyone know about this?
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73