NSEMN8R

Would it be illegal?

This came up while talking about tandem re-currency jumps next spring and we were wondering if it would be in violation of the FARs.

If one had an experienced jumper on the front wearing the student harness backwards (so you're hooked up face to face) and a single harness-single parachute system on his back, could the "student" legally unhook and jump from the TM since he did exit the plane in compliance with the FARs? Or would the jump from the open parachute count as a separate jump requiring a reserve on the student?

Also, could this count as a re-currency jump even though you didn't land the "student"?

Anybody done this before with either base or skydiving gear? Seems like an easy way to do a Mr. Bill.

It's been done, and while it's a "grey area" the fact that is can be defined as "operation outside of manufacturers recommendations" by both the FAR's and BSR's, and the fact that the FAA has been known to issues rather stern comments such as "We REALLY recommend you don't do this" would lead me to believe that if one was going to conduct such an activity they would be smart to not talk about it much, not do it on a busy day at the DZ, and not spread video of it throughout time and space.

:)

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Strictly speaking, the FARs are silent on the use of single-harness single-parachute systems for intentional parachute jumps.

Single-harness single-parachute systems intended for emergencies (pilot rigs, in other words) must be approved. Single-harness dual-parachute systems intended for skydiving (sport rigs) must have an approved harness/container and approved reserve. And tandem systems must have approved harnesses, an approved container, and an approved reserve. BASE rigs are simply not addressed, nor are chuteless jumps.

A separate question is changing legality depending on the phase of the jump. The relevant phrase from FAR 105.43 is "conduct a parachute operation," which includes considerably more than just a freefall and canopy descent.

Mark

Done it. The hardest part is securing the harness straps before letting go, and dont let go until you do. And it's best to have a current TI when your attempting to exit with someone attached backwards.

Looks rather gay too, but it's fun... :D

Ed

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Why? Would it be hard on the gear?

Not at all. Rather than a wear issue, it's probably an action Rob has issue with. The POTENTIAL for a lot of wear to suddenly occur is much higher. Should the passenger parachute open prematurely, a lot of nylon parts will rub together rapidly. Nylon parts may be trying to occupy the same space as a human appengage as well. The action has the possibility of causing destruction, possible injury or death.

Sigma Harnesses are great for it though. The belly strap is rather comfortable. A hard openening feels like nothing for the passenger. You can watch the tandem instructors face grimace while he catches his breath ... or so I've heard.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

ive seen it done,

like someone said......make sure those bottom connectors are stowed away and secured. thats probably the most dangerous part as far unfamiliar or unforseen equipment problems.
Definately not with a uncurrent TI, thats stupid. It is a little strange and involved. So a current experienced Ti is a must.
personally I dont see it as being "wrong". I think its a awesome idea. Just be smart about it. unfortuneatly you probably should keep it on the D-lo. i'm sure lots of people will bitch about it because there are alot of unprogressive unimaginative lame-o's out there.

If you try it PM me and let me know how it went and if you found anything to be difficult.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

I have done it as a regular tandem with my passenger (also a TI) wearing a small sport rig. Undid the lowers and clipped them back to the little "holders" on the harness. He grabbed the risers and took his weight off the uppers while i unclipped those. I had my Handcam on and he had a helmet cam and flipped on his back after leaving me....AWESOME VIDEO!!
~FREEFLYER84~
MUFF#3784