jumpnaked69

AFF Course Book for Students

I've been considering putitng together a booklet/package for all FJC students at my DZ. I'd like to include the FJC syllabus, a glossary, some diagrams, and a disc with videos of every level of AFF, hop and pops, coached jumps, and the A-license check out dive. Something to help them progress from their FJC to getting a good feel for the sport. Also in the packet would be some articles about downsizing, canopy drills, etc. Students at my DZ also receive a SIM when they sign up for the FJC.

Someone recently mentioned to me that Empuriabrava makes their own type of booklet that really blows away others. I have contacted them and they want thirty euros for the book plus shipping.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to include or about how EB's book is different?

It sounds a lot like what is already contained in the SIM.

I know what Naked69 is looking for... It is not what is in the SIM.

The SIM is a boring procedural manual that does not "introduce the student" to the sport in the ways Mr. Naked is wanting to get them hooked. The best way to put a student to sleep is to give them a few pages of the SIM to read.

It is also old school, with many many people having to vote to make a simple change. Some of the things in the book conflict with what some DZs teach - as I know one canopy issue (on purpose I am keeping this vague) that many people including the best canopy coaches and PD recommend the exact opposite as what is in the SIM. But to make that change, a BOD has to have the energy to debate then vote...

It has no video, no fun pictures, nothing beyond the text.

It is not DZ specific.

It is not a "try this dive for size" selection book.

If you want to be cutting edge, you gotta keep it low key and local.

Naked,

I think the website is a great place for this.

Zero cost to the DZO.

Available to students for no cost.

Various sections can be printed and posted on the wall for students who did not do their homework.

Someone recently mentioned to me that Empuriabrava makes their own type of booklet that really blows away others. I have contacted them and they want thirty euros for the book plus shipping.

Seems like that is one AFF jump income for us. I will split it with you. Not to copy directly. But to use as research...

JumpNaked, thank you for the pm. I'm sure you could have said that nicer, but I'll let bigons be bigons. ....

that said, yes, something with video and such would be nice. a bit different feel than the sim would defidently work. you could mix animations with real life dives. .
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Do we really need "Skydiving for Dummies" (soon to be available at Amazon.com for $19.95), or do we need to stop encouraging people who can't even take the interest in studying information about a life threatening activity they are participating in?

What's next? Pilot Operating Handbooks with pictographs instead of words?

:S

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Not an instructor, but let me play devil's advocate from someone who spent an awful lot of time reading during her student days (what can I say, I tried to get licensed over a northwest winter). I found the student manual that was part of my student program to be a nice adjunct to the SIM. It was written in a different format (non-committee-speak), and was geared towards specifically describing each of the student jumps in that particular DZ's student program. Yes, they followed the ISP but had a very detailed progression laid out with learning objectives for each jump. It allowed me to know exactly what to expect on the next jump in that program, and to know how the information was going to be introduced.

I found the opportunity to have two resources to go to for information to be very helpful. People learn differently, and people retain information differently. More than one perspective (as long as both are accurate) can help to ensure that the information "takes." Even for someone who is curious and wants to learn, the SIM can be a challenge to follow. It was written by committee and reads like it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Do we really need "Skydiving for Dummies"

Yes:P

Actually - reread his post...

This is not a replacement to the SIM... Just a very customized training program that is DZ specific.

And - perhaps more detailed. And perhaps with more drills. With links to resources that the USPA cannot officially endorse (like a list of websites to visit, and content to review when there) Etc...

I read his post, however your past made me think you were in favor of scraping the SIM. I see I may have been mistaken.

The SIM HAS improved in readability 10 fold in the last 10 years.

Know what works really well in conjunction with the SIM?

When you're students are encouraged to read it and ask questions about things they are not clear on. Works for me.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

You mean like the excellent piece called "Kinesthesia" produced by Norman Kent?
Real life skydives that turn into 3D animations and 3D animations that turn into real skydives, with body positions and everything? ;)
It may not be DZ specific, but it's a terrific resource for new (and not so new) skydivers, IMO.

You mean like the excellent piece called "Kinesthesia" produced by Norman Kent?

Ahhhh...Kinesthesia. Damn good, IMO. Helped me immensely and I would think it would help others, too.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

So, diablopilot, the SIM has really improved that much in the last ten years? That's great! but it still has a long way to go to being a single go-to source for skydiving information. Let me make my original suggestion a bit clearer.

The student arrives at the DZ for the FJC and they receive a number of items

USPA SIM
Goggles
Logbook
DZ Packet (to include...)
+DVD/VCD with videos to include
++what to do each time you arrive at the dz (safety brief, etc)
++each level of AFF properly edited to show student position from the exit to the landing with inside and outside video
++a hop and pop
++the dz-specific coaching program
++a packing video
++the a-license check out dive

the packet will also include
+an explanation of many of the items on the A-license card dealing with knowledge of FARs and equipment information
+articles from people like Scott Miller and Brian Germain about canopy safety and ways to improve
+a list of the more common gear manufacturers as suggestions broken down by what type of equipment it is
+a list of reliable places to learn more (will dropzone.com be on there, diablopilot?) and places to buy gear
+information on future disciplines to consider and recommended experience levels
+Suggested drills for skydives and tunnel flying

Let me try to preempt your responses with the following:
No, it is not a substitute for learning from AFF-I or Coach
No, it is not a substitute for skydiving
No, it is not a substitute for the SIM.
No, it is not the end-all, be-all for skydiving.
No, it is not going to be universal.
No, it will not work for everyone or every dropzone.
Yes, it will be a great SUPPLEMENTAL source of information for students.
Yes, something similar has been put together at some of the larger dropzones and many people have found it helpful.
Yes, it might expedite a student's ability to become a safe and competent skydiver.
Yes, it might help people complete levels of AFF sooner.
Yes, it will take some work and might even cost the dropzone some money (i will address tdog's earlier comment in a bit).
No, diablopilot will not like it and will not approve. ;)

so, tdog, you suggest putting it on a website. I like this idea since it eliminates the hassle of putting it together over and over again and since we know that maybe 30% of all FJC students will finish AFF and probably only 15% will get their A-license. What would you give the student then on the day of their FJC? the login info for that part of the website? Then the resources are always available to them for download. Interesting option....

That is way more information than a student can grasp on the first day.
Ergo, it will just be ignored.
Far better to put new information on the website, in bite-sized pieces.
Since a significant number of students will not read their homework, you will also need to have dedicated computer terminals, that allow students to read their homework after they arrive at the DZ.

Different students learn at different rates and by different methods.
For example, I may not have heard everything said to me on the DZ, but I read Poynter's Skydivers' Handbook cover-to-cover. I learned how to speed walk, sew, calculate statistics and fly from textbooks. But I can only learn from GOOD text books.
Books written in committee-speak put me to sleep!

As instructors, we have to recognize that not all students can learn from books.

Some are auditory learners.
Some are visual learners.
Some are tactile learners.
Some are practical learners.
Some learn by smell.
Some learn by taste.
etc.

The bottom line is that new information must be presented in a variety of formats for the variety of students. Sooner or later one of your diagrams, explanations or rehearsals will "click" with a student, allowing him/her to grasp the concept that you have been babbling about for the last half hour.

There are quite a few DZ’s in the U.S that have written there own training manual that has the information for their students to achieve level of being cleared from direct instruct supervision, (none licensed solo skydiver). If you are seriously considering of writing your own manual try looking in your parachutists magazine first and call DZs asking them if they have there own manual and get a copy, buy, barrow, steal. Get as many as you can get your hands on then create your own. If your manual is going to take the student from FJC to their “A” then don’t waist your time have your students buy the USPA SIM and instruct them what they need to have read before their classes.
Memento Mori