DiamondGirl

Tandem Weight Limit Question

I have a friend that is interested in doing a tandem jump. The only thing that has stopped him is that he's 270 lbs, and well over the weight limit. The thing is, he's not fat or out of shape, just a big guy (6'7 or so, athletic). Does this make any difference as to whether or not he can jump? Or is he just too far over?

If it's a possibility, are there any TM's in the south Florida area that are up to the challenge??

Thanks!
~* Quae Sursum Volo Videre *~

It is possible (but not very likely) but it would be better if he lost weight. Tandems have a total weight limit of 500 LBS which includes a 55 LBS pack so the instructor would have to be under 175 LBS.
I believe there are some places that will do AFF solo for heavy students, but there are not too many. Most containers are only rated for 250 LBS total weight.
Kirk

Wasn't there recently a thread about the biggest students that tandem masters have taken? Maybe there are some instructors in that thread who are in FL and are up for the job? :)

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

It doesnt matter if its muscle or cheeseburgers, weight is weight.

Its up to the dz and the instructor, but I wont go over the 500lb limit. I have seen smaller instructors take really big guys, close to 300lbs.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

It is possible (but not very likely) but it would be better if he lost weight. Tandems have a total weight limit of 500 LBS which includes a 55 LBS pack so the instructor would have to be under 175 LBS.
I believe there are some places that will do AFF solo for heavy students, but there are not too many. Most containers are only rated for 250 LBS total weight.
Kirk

Not completely true. Different tandem manufacturers set different weight limits.

A heavy person will be much more challenging for the instructor. To keep total weight down a small instructor will probably be used, and it can be difficult for a small instructor to handle a big person...not impossible, but difficult.

Further, not all weight is the same. A fit person at 270 is a much better candidate than a grossly overweight person, or a really gut-fat person. While the parachute doesn't know anything about the shape of the tandem student, the tandem harness does. And, a fit person will be better able to lift his/her legs and assist with canopy control. Plus, the fit person will simply be much more comfortable in the harness and enjoy the event more.

Another issue is the type of life experience the student brings. A student who has done a variety of "exciting" activities or who has an analogous experience in his background will be less likely to tense up or freak out, and that makes him a better candidate. Those past experiences don't guarantee success, but they push the odds a bit further in favor of a safe and enjoyable skydive.

My heaviest student was about 250. It was work, but not especially hazardous.

My suggestion to the original poster is to call around to several drop zones and ask if they will take a student at 270 pounds. Then explain you have heard it might be dangerous, and see what they say. You should expect a general discussion about how weight affects parachute performance, and how the distribution of weight affects human performance. If the DZ simply says "it's not a problem," or "we're special and that does apply to us," move on to another drop zone.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I know that Strong and Sigma have a max weight limit of 500 LBS, so what manufacturer out there has a different weight limit ?
Your right that a fit 270 person is safer to take than a overweight 270 lbs person, however weight is weight and you still have to stay under the manufacturers weight limit.(I am not aware of any manufacturer out there that has a special provision if the person is fit it is OK to exceed the 500LBS:)Kirk

Come to Kapowsin. I've taken exactly that size person before and I'm 6'1", just under 175 pounds. However . . . I better be getting a pretty good tip on this one.:S