steveorino

how do you handle fat tandems?

If you ever run into a TM in mid / upstate California (I think it its), by the name of Jeff Lund (sp?)... tall lanky guy, big bushy mustache, been doing Tandems forever... buy him a few beers, spin him up, get him talking about taking fat chicks on tandems, sit back, enjoy the stories and try not to piss yourself laughing... :D

Anyway... caveate, I'm not a TM, but seems to me, the TMs I do know are now more apt to tell someone, let us say, rubenesque, that "they're not cut out to go do this" since the unfortunate incident where the 5'3" 230ish lb gal came out of the tandem harness incident a bit ago.

Jeff is a great guy. I wish I could jump into the "way back machine" and zap myself back to the day he, Rat-Boy, Celaya and I were in Bob's loft and someone made some off-hand comment about fat chicks showing up at the DZ to do a Tandem and Jeff... who was being his normal quiet self and not really part of the conversation at the moment... went off on a 20ish minute disertation on why taking fat middle aged chicks on a Tadem sucks! ... my favorite quote went something like, "What part of sitting on a couch for the last 20 years eatting Bon-Bons makes you think you're prepared to come out and try the most extreme sport around!!!???!"
:D

Jeff is cool.

Attachment is NSFW

No shit, there I was - one of the best bars in Holland and I said: "any female that turns up nekid on the DZ tomorrow is rewarded with a FREE tandem..."

(where were you guys when I needed you?) :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

"What part of sitting on a couch for the last 20 years eatting Bon-Bons makes you think you're prepared to come out and try the most extreme sport around!!!???!"

"O Well - I only thought it would become extreme @ the moment someone has to make sure we - as in 'you and me' - end up under a parachute, something I trust YOU to keep under your control, you being a professional parachutist and all..." :P

Of topic: anyone that has a link to the video of that tandem with a "rubenesque" from a skyvan where that pax became completely 'over the top' and only went out - still cursin' if I remember correctly - second pass over the DZ?

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Of topic: anyone that has a link to the video of that tandem with a "rubenesque" from a skyvan where that pax became completely 'over the top' and only went out - still cursin' if I remember correctly - second pass over the DZ?

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3353&string=mike%20student
Arrive Safely

John

This weekend I had a 60 y.o. 190lb grandma who filled out her waiver, never marking anything about physical limitations. Then while sitting in the Cessna on the way up she stated she couldn't be on her knees. Did she say that while I was showing them the exit? Noooooooooooo.. Sorry honey, that is the only way I can hook you up and get out the door. She was able to get on her knees and move forward.

She wasn't as bad as I expected when I saw her stats (60 year old, 190# female) She had bird legs and I was able to get the straps fairly tight. Her weight was in her gut. :S

steveOrino

Then while sitting in the Cessna on the way up she stated she couldn't be on her knees.

Why would you want her on her knees?
In c182 my routine is that I'm facing the tail (on my knees), pax comes to sit on my lap, open door, move sideways, exit...
No need to have dear ol grandma on her knees, IMO...

As we move towards the end of the season it might be a good time to step back, relax, count blessings, see what pays the bills - and show grandma a wonderfull time... :)

A thousand words...

Then while sitting in the Cessna on the way up she stated she couldn't be on her knees.

Why would you want her on her knees?
In c182 my routine is that I'm facing the tail (on my knees), pax comes to sit on my lap, open door, move sideways, exit...
No need to have dear ol grandma on her knees, IMO...

As we move towards the end of the season it might be a good time to step back, relax, count blessings, see what pays the bills - and show grandma a wonderfull time... :)

That works for Greg (the other TM, but my shoulders are so wide I can't do that. I have no room to hook up the tandem. Ask Llyod, he'll tell lyou there is no way I can do that -- we've tried.

steveOrino

I dont worry so much about the chest strap. I figure all the fat on there neck will cushion the strap from getting to any vital point.

I have to agree that the sigma harness is no problem with the biggies. that peice of crap strong harness is unconfortable on almost every body type. I know of at least one DZ that is using strong rigs with sigma harness just for this reason.

I'm 145 lb instructor so you know I get all the fatties at our DZ. Its kind of my specialty
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

I don't worry so much about the chest strap. I figure all the fat on there neck will cushion the strap from getting to any vital point.

I have to agree that the sigma harness is no problem with the biggies. that piece of crap strong harness is uncomfortable on almost every body type. I know of at least one DZ that is using strong rigs with sigma harness just for this reason.

I'm 145 lb instructor so you know I get all the fatties at our DZ. Its kind of my specialty

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Are you using old Strong tandem student harnesses?

... or the new ones with hip rings?

Oops!
Did I sound like a salesman for Strong Enterprises?

As for taking all the fatties ...
I am the almost the oldest and almost the biggest and definitely the most experienced TI - on my DZ - so I get the fattest, ugliest and scariest students while the young TIs argue over the cute young female students.
How does that work?