WatchYourStep

Does your DZ use SOS systems for student progression?

So does your DZ use an SOS system for cutaways while going through the student progression or do they use a 2 handle (cutaway and reserve) system?

Vote and if you feel like it let us know where you are from.

Thanks

Edit: Changed title a little.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Edmonton Skydive Centre in northern Alberta uses SOS on our student gear. We are the only DZ in the province to do so. We have two transition rigs that have two handle systems. The result of all this is that we inevitably get students who learn on one system, move to the other, and then back. In theory they start on SOS and then transition to TOS but the reality is otherwise; other DZs' students transfer to us, Our students visit other DZs when they are traveling and then come back to us, students are transitioned to the TOS but then throw on a student rig because of transition rig availability. Quite frankly it scares the shit out of me.
We will be converting to TOS this off season.

At a Canadian DZ that's a little different but has a carefully thought out program:

Yes, SOS for static line rigs. Keeps it simple for the vast majority who do just one jump.

Then for freefall progression after static line, rigs are also SOS, with hip mounted main ripcord. (Allowing FXC AAD's both on main and reserve.)

Then when students have their Canadian Solo certificate (no longer requiring direct instructor supervision), they convert to "regular" skydiving gear with TAS and BOC. Since this is a big step from their previous gear, there is a 3 jump transition program to properly teach them TAS emergency procedures and BOC main activation.

Mykel I wasn't sure if I was going to put it in or not. I decided not to. Even if people do a tandem progression system after the 1st few (3 here) we start going with an AFF instructor for X number of jumps. So even though it's technically not AFF progression I figured people would lump it into AFF.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Mykel I wasn't sure if I was going to put it in or not. I decided not to. Even if people do a tandem progression system after the 1st few (3 here) we start going with an AFF instructor for X number of jumps. So even though it's technically not AFF progression I figured people would lump it into AFF.

Nope...

AFF is 7 jumps, the tandem progression I teach in is an 18 jump solo course after 2 tandems. Kinda like ISP with emphasis on a few details the ISP does not make. It is a totally different animal (and superior) than AFF, so I did not vote...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

We use a 2 handle SOS, train them to like they are jumping a normal 2 handle system but if they pull out of order then it will still cut away the main.

I would like to add that Raeford Parachute Center still has quite a few student Javelins with this "pulling the wrong handle first won't kill you" system. We do not tell the students about the feature though.

Chuck

I like the idea of this - I'm just wondering what you tell the students about handling malfunctions below cutaway altitude? I'm assuming this part of their EP's is retrained when they switch to a regular 2 handle rig?

We use a 2 handle SOS, train them to like they are jumping a normal 2 handle system but if they pull out of order then it will still cut away the main.

I would like to add that Raeford Parachute Center still has quite a few student Javelins with this "pulling the wrong handle first won't kill you" system. We do not tell the students about the feature though.

Chuck