docjohn

AFF Student Loses both instructors

Sorry to say, but the jumpmasters should'nt be jumpmasters. It all started in the door with the reserve side JM. Why the hell is he inside? I don't think he was tought exit position in the course. Atleast I hope the course has'nt gotten THAT SLACK. Those dudes shoulds hang there heads, I'd be interested in what the DZ mgr had to say about it. Bullshit JMing!

Just out of curiosity...two questions:

1. What "qualifications" are you looking for that would validate him expressing an opinion

2. We mostly all need a good ball-busting every once in a while, right?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It might not have been the best AFF job in the world. But everybody has bad AFF exits every now and then. The count is usually messed up by the student anyway. I'm not saying their flying was superb but evrybody has some squirrelly jumps. After the JM lost grips she did some killer atmonauti on her back though:)
I have some awesome video of a AFF1 deploying a reserve on his back at about 170 MPH at 10,000ft.
I would post it but I dont want people to just bash instructors for things that can go wrong on any AFF jump. There were some mistakes made and they learned from them. The main mistake was letting a knuckle headed idiot go on a AFF jump. (I believe that Sometimes a students mentality should be assessed a little more closely. then determine if they are really prepared for the seriousness of the upcoming situation they are putting themselves in.)

AFF instructors are just people and people sometimes make mistakes. Ultimately they are just there to teach you. I beleive the students ground training and self preservation instincts are most important . As demonstrated by the student in the video. If the worse thing that happens is she has to pull high then so what. Apparently she was in a good frame of mind and her training was very adequate
remember it is still skydiving and unless God is your instructor it will always be dangerous.

I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

I've watched the video several times - I really can't see any major faults on the JM's side ... besides losing the student :-) ... looks like the student is flying a strong de-arched body position and pushes both legs down underneath her

Maybe if this went out the door stable they could've kept it stable ... but it didn't ... and they didn't keep it stable

I don't think the guys did such a bad job - not every AFF jump will go smoothly - that is why you teach a student what to do when both I's are gone ... because that CAN happen

and on this jump it did

Have fun!

I know the instructors should control the exit and,the student should never lose both guys but, it happens and will happen again some where.
By the way the student had some great body position out the door eh. Not making excuses or anything but, wow!

Yes, shit happens, and all we can do is minimize it, by good training and education.

I'm still relatively new in my 1,600+ AFF jumps and I've seen a lot of stuff, both the good and bad.

In a perfect world I'd have students do 10-15 minutes of tunnel prior to level 1.

by the looks of the first JM's leg position, he was in no way trying to get to the student (after release that is)

I agree here. Lousy exits happen. One JM releasing while the other JM stabilizes happens. Failing to even try to get back to the student is unforgivable.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Two AFF-I's doing RW after a level one ... We are supposed to place the needs of the student first.

Yeah, wouldn’t that be nice?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…