elduderino

Relative Work with Tandems??

funny situation....

some guy asked me if its possibble to do a tandemjump and let 2 Tandems do relativework...with a deployed drouge :o

did somebody did something like this before??
i told him its a BAD idea...
someone got experience with that...?
i hope not...

I have some video (somewhere) of two drogueless tandems and some other jumpers in an RW formation (tandems originally had no drogue). I also have video and pictures of a single tandem, drogue deplyed, with RW jumpers docked in a formation. Those are pretty common.

I would imagine that some sort of relativity has been attempted with drogues deployed, but I have no real life examples (that's probably just as well).
Arrive Safely

John

thats what i say...[:/]
i did it with one tandem and 10 expirienced rw jumpers...big star....but with 2 tandems???
and i saw pictures of to tandems with grips and no drouge....yep....

but the world is big and i think maybe some comedians did something like this....maybe...

initial instincts say... probably not a good idea

but as a creative cameraman, i think,
"could be done, as long as the two tandems aren't trying to dock on each other..."
A tandem pair with people docking on them, filling the space between the first and second tandem pair, could make for a safe and interesting snapshot... i. e. a loop , or a line with tandems as 'bookends'... or a ( big) star, with tandems across from one another...providing all participants are of the appropriate caliber and credentials...

The key of course is to keep the drogue bridles far away from each other AND from solo jumpers....( the idea of flying to and grabbing a drogue bridle is foolhardy and overly bold... though i don't doubt that it's been done...[:/])
I have almost eaten a drogue or two shortly after exit, but that was on me, not the TM...
(a bit too aggressive, in getting a close up view)... i think i could probably fly up and accross to, and touch a drogue,,,,, but would never do so.....:|

as a side note....
At times when we have been short on available camerapersons, I often thought about one video person doing TWO tandems.... simultaneously !!!!...
you'd need to have the right airplane, ( big),, full altitude, a good sized door, Staff who can work together, AND a plan....
but i think if the tandems get out close, and the camerman has good range then he/she should be able to get the exit and early freefall of tandem 1 and then move and move quickly to get to tandem 2 for some freefall footage and their opening.... and certainly can be on the ground to shoot both landings..

sensible??? silly?.... again, I only propose it when the need for video , exceeds the numbers on hand to do the video...and when students want to 'jump with their friends' on the same load...and have their own video....

jmy

Ted Strong and Bill Booth did a few tandem relative work jumps during their early test jumps. They straped experienced relative workers to their chests.
All this was done before drogues came into fashion (circa 1983).
Photos were published in SKYDIVING Magazine.

If you also remember, the first - or second tandem - fatality (in the 1980s) involved poor CReW. Specifically, a solo canopy docked sloppily on a tandem, got entangled and cutaway, leaving the tandem with an extra canopy wrapped in amongst their lines.
When the TI cutaway, the student rotated upwards (due to unfastened side straps) and broke the TI's neck.
Ever since then, canopy formations have been banned with tandems.

I've talked to on TI who claimed to have done it in the early 90's (before they knew better). The claim was exit docked. Turn a couple points, make a good attempt at tracking, deploy drougs and then staged deployments.

I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND OR ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN at a dz I am an instructor at.