KevinCope

Tipping

You don't need to tip any one!

On my only tandem I tipped 20 dollars because I thought they gave me good instruction, and I really enjoyed the way I was treated while there.

I also heard a rumor that skydivers love cases of beer... after hours of course. :P

I hope you have a great experince for your first jumps.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Tipping is not expected or required but is appreciated for excellent service.

I worked in skydiving as a fulltime vocation for 7 years at a very busy year round operation, so I can give you advice from first hand experience.

You are going to get a LOT of opinions on this issue, some potentially emotionally charged. Fulltime skydivers who skydive as a sole vocation average $20k or less annually, so to the full timers, tips are very welcome and appreciated.

Some people here will tell you not to tip no matter what, I do not agree with that because anytime I receive excellent attention from someone in a service industry I always tip, but that is just me, let your conscious be your guide.

As a camera flyer I am usually not tipped, and when I am it is between $1 and $20.

As a solo freefall instructor, I am tipped around 50% of the time anywhere from $5 to $20 is the average and this seems to hold true for all the TIs I work with.
I have been tipped as much as $200 before if you can believe that.

A case of beer for the end of the day is always appreciated as a tip, it is best when students hang out after hours and have a few cold ones too, it is fun socializing. Often times though, after working hard for 12+ hours 7 days a week I hit the shower and head to bed early, working at a really busy DZ can be quite a marathon during the busy part of the year and it is hard work at times.

I think the best tip of all is students having a great time, having fun and allowing me to ba a part of their adventure – it is a really cool one at that so enjoy!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

No tip is necessary. I don't think twice about whether i wil receive a tip or not, but when I do I'm very surprised and happy.

Funny thing, my very first paying tandem was a 20 year old kid and he tipped me $20.

My tips are usually $20, but I've had a $5 tip and a $50 tip.

steveOrino

I received a $100.00 tip for video once, and when I went to split it with the TI, found that he'd received the same.
My first tandem, I tipped $25.00.
I've received a few $5.00 and $10.00 tips as a videographer.
That said, no different than anywhere else, tips aren't expected but certainly very appreciated and gratefully accepted.

If the TI makes you laugh, shows you a good time, and doesn't hit on your wife/girlfriend, at least buy him/her a cold soda.;)

Tips are always appreciated, but I never expect them so (as Steve said), it is always a nice surprise. I have been tipped with everything from cash ($20 usually) to t-shirts to jackets to movie tickets.

If you can afford the extra expense, it is a nice thing to do. Speaking for myself - if you want to learn to skydive I would rather you spent your tip money on AFF. Others may feel differently.

If the Tandem Instructor and Camera Flyer both did a tip-worthy job, including them both is a great gesture. Otherwise most TIs will split a tip with his CF.
Arrive Safely

John

I'm one of those AFFI is referring to that is adament about not taking a tip, but do not make a living in skydiving. Since previous discussions on the matter with my peers.... When offered a tip will now re-direct and introduce the tipper to the tandem packer.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.