diablopilot

Camera Flyer requirements.

In your interperetation of the situation, do the more strict regulations rule? I.E. if the USPA reg is stronger than the manufacturer's reg, is it binding? If so is the reverse held true as well?

Well, since they are both in effect, then you can say the strongest reg rules.

The idea is to simplify and unify the structure of the ratings. USPA takes over everything it can while leaving the manufacturers with only system-specific stuff. I would like the see all of the manufacturers go to type ratings that do not expire. This still allows the manufacturer some oversight over the TI without the administrative or financial burdens. I think we are headed in that direction.

Cheers,
--Q
-----
Chris "Q" Quaintance
ccqquaintance.com
D-23345

Thanks Q. Just to clarify what we're doing here, it sounds like we're doing away with the provision that allows non "working" tandem jumps without a USPA TAN rating, i.e. whereas a guy could previously do "non-ISP" tandems with only the manufacturer's rating, he'll now need both.

It sounds like USPA is shooting for certification and rating fees from those last few holdouts while simultaneously streamlining their ability to shut down an unsafe TI without as high a risk of legal action e.g. a few examples that have been discussed vigorously on this site. I guess I don't have a problem with either of those goals, as they do not (and hopefully will never) affect me or any of the guys I work with.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

"How many tandem students and or instructors have been killed by a freefall or deployment collision? "

1987 jumper with 100 jumps track in the tandem---pax and tandemmaster dead

1997 videoflyer 1000 jumps -100 video- falls during deplyment in the opening of the tandem--pax dead

2005 kollison during opening with videoflyer--pax survieved...tandemmaster dead

all happend in the US....

questions...???

The New Zealand standard seems to make sense to me (i am a new zealander so maybe that is why)

To jump with a camera helmet you must have at least 100 jumps and for the first couple there must be no camera mounted to the helmet.

It is not until 200 jumps that you will be allowed to jump with a tandem and that will be without a camera until you prove you are capable of flying safely with the tandem. (at least that was the case for me)

To gain a tandem rating you must have at least 1000 jumps and 2 years in the sport.

500 jumps is NOWHERE NEAR enough IMHO but from what I have been told the USPA now requres 1000 jumps for a tandem rating as well as South Africa?

An instructors first 20 tandems must be without camera also. With at least 1020 jumps and a tandem rating one should be capable of determining whether someone is capable of jumping with a camera an a tandem jump.

I have seen jumpers with 250 jumps make very good videos and photos with great angles and I have also seen jumpers with 3000+ jumps struggle to keep the same level as the tandem.

enthusiasm and determination goes a long way. If someone that has more than 500 camera jumps hasn't worked out that the reason they struggle to keep on a level with the tandem is because they have the wrong suit/equipment(/don't want to afford one) then they should go and do something else.

I see guys that think wings are old school and they want to buy a freefly suit but they fly like a starfish abnd the customer is the one that pays buy having a shit video with heads cut off etc..

.. and some guys/girls:$ don't need wing because they are tall/light/good enough to do it without them.

A prerequesate or 500 jumpsto jump with a tandem seems far too strict to me. If it hade been the case for me i wouldn't be skydiving today, i wouldn't have been able to afford it!

In some countries you can get an AFF rating at 2-300 jumps (which I also thing is farking stupid, even though I did my AFF rating at 280 jumps. What a joke) AFF should have a prerquisate of 1000 jumps IMO.

end of rant;

;)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Tbut from what I have been told the USPA now requres 1000 jumps for a tandem rating

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I can't seem to find anything to back this up.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

according to the 2007 IRM I just got a couple weeks ago from USPA it states in the Tandem Instructors Rating Course Chapter 1, Section A, Bullet 4

4. Jumpers may earn the USPA Tandem Instructor rating
who have met all the following requirements:
a. reached the age of 18 years
b. holds or has held any USPA instructional rating
c. earned a USPA D license or the FAI equivalent
d. logged 500 jumps on a ram-air canopy
e. three years in the sport
f. presented a current FAA Class 3 Medical
Certificate or the equivalent
(1) USPA will issue a Tandem Instructor rating,
even if the medical certificate will expire prior
to the expiration date of the rating.
(2) Each USPA Tandem Instructor is responsible
to keep his or her medical certificate current.
g. demonstrated five practice tandem cutaways
wearing tandem equipment and with a simulated
student in the student harness in the presence of a
USPA Tandem Instructor, Tandem I/E, or Tandem
Instructor Rating Course director
h. completed the USPA Tandem Instructor
Proficiency Card
i. satisfactorily completed a USPA Tandem Instructor
Certification Course, registered with USPA headquarters
and including training for at least one
manufacturer’s brand model (type) of tandem
jumping equipment

You can also see this info at http://www.uspa.org/publications/manuals.pdf/2007IRMEssentials.pdf page 24 of 30