lowpullin1

First Tandem Cutaway

Well it took just over 200 tandems but i got my first malfunction and i can honestly say i am glad it over, got tired of waiting on it ;). if you interested it was a blownout center cell and tension knots, not sure which one caused the other but it was a wild ride we were spinning on our backs when i chopped it. Had a reserve by about 3800 ft. Reserve landing was good, no injuries.:)

"It's hard to fly with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys."
My Website

what gear was that on ?

Can you attribute the blown cell and the knots to a particular phase ? Packing ? Old gear ? De-trimmed canopy ? Other ?

We had a BT80 blow the 3 left cells on opening a couple of weeks ago. Canopy had only around 300 jumps. The reserve landed better than the main ;)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

It was a vector rig and it did have a RSL, i do not jump a RSL on my personal rig but i think they are a really good idea for tandems. the main was a PD 425 the canopy had alot of jumps on it so my guess in wear caused the center cell to blow out and that cause the tension knots.

"It's hard to fly with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys."
My Website

I had my 1st too a few weeks ago. Chopped 4 line twists I couldn't clear on a icarus main. It was a skyhook so the ride was over fast. Damn that thing is sweet!!
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

Congratulations! We share the same season for our first T-mal!
Mine was mostly likely due to packing error. It was like a slider down base opening:S. Although the jokers still say it was my body position!! Center cell top skin was blown out and two others ripped....and toss in a few broken lines:|

Luckily for me we were both ok, and the canopy was flying in a gentle turn, so I had a few seconds to talk to my student and give him a heads up. Jump had video and the opening sequence took about 3 or 4 frames (from coming out of the d-bag to fully open) My biggest surprise was that the 425 reserve only had one set of steering toggles :o

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

My biggest surprise was that the 425 reserve only had one set of steering toggles

The manufacturers think you need the physical exercise every now and then... :PB|:P:)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Iv'e had two on a EZ384 using a Vector. It was the same EZ that was cutaway 3 times before my 2 because of line over/tension knots. Im thinking its the 6 groumet slider.

Now I ain't saying that 6 grommet sliders cause tension knots, but I will say that after an incredible rash of line-overs on EZ-384s with 6 grommet sliders, when previously we had zero line overs with 4 grommet sliders,(same packers) it was reported to me by several DZs who experienced the same problem that as soon as they replaced their 6 grommet sliders, the problem disappeared. All of our 6 grommet sliders were replaced by PD at no cost & we have had only a single line-over incident since. (over 2000 jumps)

330 sq ft icarus. Do you guys ever worry about the velocity of a spin under the 330 with no brake setting? Ive been under the PD 340 that wound up real fast with brakes set.

I love the idea of lighter pressure and all but when does it become a point of diminishing returns or specically a safety factor when loaded and spinning.

Anyone been there?

Also, would you put a novice TM under a 330?

330 sq ft icarus. Do you guys ever worry about the velocity of a spin under the 330 with no brake setting? Ive been under the PD 340 that wound up real fast with brakes set.

Anyone been there?

Also, would you put a novice TM under a 330?

Between Mark and I over 3000 tandems under Icarus 330s and 365s, zero tension knot mals, zero spinning mals, and 1 line over.

We did our tandem I training on an Icarus 330, and started with one rig and a 330 in it. Second rig had a 365 which is a better chaise for all around in my opinion. I don't see a problem with a novice TM being under a 330, just don't load it up much over 400 lbs.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ