ast4711

Preferred Tandem-Main

The SIGMA's are good.
But for a while now I have been jumping a RAGE Tandem by Flight Concepts and think it may be as good as the HOP and Sigma even A2's.

I think it comes in 340, 360, 385, 400 and maybe 425. All ZP and opens real smooth.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I'm not too crazy about the RAGE...we had a 360 for a while...the openings were great and it was fun too fly until you picked up the flaring toggles. The toggle pressure on it was enormous! Wasn't very impressed with the power in the flare either.

My favorite has been the sigma...just a good all around tandem canopy. I remember jumping an icarus tandem main shortly after I got my tandem rating and loving it...but haven't jumped it recently or enough to form a solid opinion about it. Other canopies I've jumped: EZ384-425, Set 400, Cobalt 350-390, Sigma 370-390, RAGE 360, and some 500 sq ft f111 beast.
Miami

We just outfitted with the SET 366 (not the 360). This is by far the best offering from Strong so far (damning with faint praise I know). The openings are very soft on brand new canopies; I am a bit concerned as to how much they will slow down over time. The handling characteristics are great and the toggle pressure is the lightest I have seen on a tandem canopy. The flare is very good with the stall very low in the range, and only available with heavy passengers (I weigh ~175) I would happily carry a heavier passenger than I would on an Icarus 360, although the Icarus I have jumped was quite a bit older.

I read about the HOP330, but my feeling is that it might be a little to small - at least for me....
What about heavier passengers on null wind days?

alex

I did find the canopy little "hot" to start with. But it only took a few jumps to get to know how the canopy flies and lands , and have been very impressed since.

As for heavier passengers, then again it is no real issue. I have taken 15 1/2 stone in nil winds and had no issues landing.
Journey not destination.....

I've jumped almost exclusively Icarus tandem mains (Old Precision/Icarus, Current Icarus, and new Precision Tandem. 330 and 365 sf.), and they're excellent in wind and turbulence. I also shoot video, and in wind would prefer to do the tandem as jump my Icarus Crossfire, which sucks in turbulence.

I'd like to demo a few other tandem mains, but it seems like pulling teeth to get a demo canopy. I talked with Red of Flight Concepts, and he even promised to send me out a main, but it never happened. I'd like to jump a HOP, but am not going to buy one just to demo, then return if I don't like it.

The Icarus mains have light toggle pressure (all of mine are set up 2/6). They fly fast, but perform well in winds; we routinely jump in winds above 20 mph. In low winds it’s always a slide in landing, I’ll often leave 30 to 50’ landing skids from my feet toughing to stop. They’re also light in rear riser control, I can pull a riser turn or flair with heavy loading, no problem, and I’m no Mr. Atlas. I’ll load the 365s up to 500 + lbs, and get a powerful flair, and nice landings.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

But for a while now I have been jumping a RAGE Tandem by Flight Concepts and think it may be as good as the HOP and Sigma even A2's.

I suspect that none of them can compete in price with the HOP?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Umm,... What else have you tried?

I'm sorry you didn't hear my sarcastic tone thru the computer. :D
I've jumped SET 400's, Icarus 365's, 330's, 300's and 285's and a HOP 330. The SET is a large piece of shit in every aspect. All the Icarus canopies are good and the HOP is OK too. Most my tandems (~1500 total) are on the Icarus 300. But my favorite was the 285...can't wait to get back to that.

I've jumped SET 400's, Icarus 365's, 330's, 300's and 285's and a HOP 330. The SET is a large piece of shit in every aspect.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hee!
Hee!
How many jumps do you have on F-111 tandem mains?

Why would I compare things now to things in the past? Yeah...you could say that SET's are awesome compared to what there used to be. But...

So my question is:
Considering all modern ZP Tandem Mains, which one is your favorite and why?

NOW there are alot better canopies than the SET. :o

I've jumped SET 400's, Icarus 365's, 330's, 300's and 285's and a HOP 330. The SET is a large piece of shit in every aspect. All the Icarus canopies are good and the HOP is OK too. Most my tandems (~1500 total) are on the Icarus 300. But my favorite was the 285...can't wait to get back to that.

OK Literal Man here. :|
What is your max suspended weight under the 285?

My favorite?

Depends on the task @ hand.

If a Strong Master 425R with no steering help from the passenger saves my old carcass I feel like hugging it, but it doesn't beat the HOP in steering comfort, the Contrail 390 in ease of packing (it's a reserve, after all) or the Set 400 in comfort from opening until landing - tough on windy islands sometimes you desire some more penetration than that canopy can give you with a light companion...

Come to think of it, I try to stay within a certain range of wingload and meteorological condition but hey, beggars cant be choosers :)
Maybe on tandemjumps one should avoid canopies that make it necessary to dance through the opening with a passenger larger than you and no sense of rythm to speak of...But if you jump crossbraced and loaded above 2 you may actually enjoy the ride on a 285 with a 225 lbs green beret from hell... Other than that: not only when the wind suddenly picks up and you are in the air with a small female in front of you, the HOP will do the job, the ride IS much more fun...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I don't know the cost of any of them to be honest.
I was only compairing my perception on performance.
The last Tandem Main I bought came with my rig.

Matt

You should, it's quite significant (if you come to replace your main):

From http://www.icaruscanopies.aero/pdf/USD_Pricelist_2007_Rev_1_0.pdf

Tandem
330 $3.575,00
365 $3.675,00
400 $3.775,00

From http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/05253(tandemPL).pdf

CANOPY SIGMA 340 (340 SQ FT) MAIN $3700
CANOPY SIGMA 370 (370 SQ FT) MAIN $3700
CANOPY SIGMA 395 (395 SQ FT) MAIN $3800
CANOPY EZ-425 (425 SQ FT) MAIN $3350
CANOPY EZ-384 (384 SQ FT) MAIN $3300

From http://www.aerodyne-int.com/download/Aerodyne_PriceList.pdf

A2 9-cell zero-p Tandem main sizes 350,389 $2,999.00

From http://www.strongparachutes.com/Pics/Tandem/Set366_Tandem_Canopy.pdf

SET 366 $3,200.00
Trade in Price: $2,560.00

From http://scskydivers.com/hop.html

HOP 330 Price: US$ 2300.00 [bulk discount available]

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Those are list prices, who the hell pays list? The last Icarus 365 I purchased, I paid somewhere around $2400. Does HOP play that game as well, or is their list actually their "price." I can't imagine that they sell for 65% of the price you quoted, that would put them at $1500.

I don't know the cost of any of them to be honest.
I was only compairing my perception on performance.
The last Tandem Main I bought came with my rig.

Matt

You should, it's quite significant (if you come to replace your main):

From http://www.icaruscanopies.aero/pdf/USD_Pricelist_2007_Rev_1_0.pdf

Tandem
330 $3.575,00
365 $3.675,00
400 $3.775,00

From http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/05253(tandemPL).pdf

CANOPY SIGMA 340 (340 SQ FT) MAIN $3700
CANOPY SIGMA 370 (370 SQ FT) MAIN $3700
CANOPY SIGMA 395 (395 SQ FT) MAIN $3800
CANOPY EZ-425 (425 SQ FT) MAIN $3350
CANOPY EZ-384 (384 SQ FT) MAIN $3300

From http://www.aerodyne-int.com/download/Aerodyne_PriceList.pdf

A2 9-cell zero-p Tandem main sizes 350,389 $2,999.00

From http://www.strongparachutes.com/Pics/Tandem/Set366_Tandem_Canopy.pdf

SET 366 $3,200.00
Trade in Price: $2,560.00

From http://scskydivers.com/hop.html

HOP 330 Price: US$ 2300.00 [bulk discount available]

Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I'd be interested in jumping the 285, but only with a little girl in front of me. I'm 6'8", and 260 lbs with a tandem rig on my back. I do load up a 365 to 1.4 when I'm hauling a 240 lb student (over 500 suspended). Off topic, but the thing that worries me about those heavy tandems is what a reserve ride/landing will be like (carrying a Precision TR 375, I say carrying because I still don't have a tandem reserve ride in 1100 +/- tandems)

Martin

AC DZ