cpoxon

What's the smallest tandem student you've taken?

Being 71 inches (180 cms) tall and 168 lbs (76 kgs), I've taken some pretty big students (by UK standards, maybe not by US!), the biggest being 80 inches (203 cms) and 245 lbs (111 kgs) but this weekend I took the smallest - a dwarf who was 54 inches (137 cms) and 91 pounds (41 kgs).

I was a little concerned that a harness would be able to be made small enough to safely contain him. First we tried with a Parachutes de France harness and whilst it would probably have been okay, we also tried with a new Paratec Next harness. The main lift web was able to shrink quite significantly, as well as the leg straps, and the lower back and belly straps offered considerable reassurance, so I was happy to take him. With the drogue out it flew around 109 mph according to my Neptune (will download it when I get a chance) and the cameraman had no problem flying with it.

You can download the video here (you will need an FLV player to view, such as the free Riva FLV Player or you can view it through the RealXStream website with the ID 45586 (although it appears to be down at the moment?).

Has anyone taken anyone smaller? Any issues?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

4 feet 8.5 inches tall, 85 lbs. Aside from her having a ton of excess leg pad and leg strap material between her legs making it difficult for her to waddle to the aircraft, it worked beautifully (Sigma harness).

I have a picture of TK Hayes from Skydive City in ZHills jumping a local DJ called "Dave the Dwarf" using what looks to be a Strong system (attached). He is a dropzone.com user (tkhayes)- shoot him a PM.
Arrive Safely

John

There was a beautiful video (shot by Kaz Sheeky, I think) of Pablo Rockefeller taking his baby in a car safety seat on a tandem at Skydive Daytona. ;)

I fell for it hook line and sinker...... until they pointed out the moment that they switched the baby for a doll, but it was SO well done. (Pablo REALLY had to fly that tandem though, I would NOT recommend a car safety seat as a passenger). The after jump "interview" with the student was so cool, his baby just looked so nonchalant having just "jumped" from 10,000'

Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

LOL! A few old timers were out Sunday and I showed them my "good" arch photo and the "bad" arch photo (Jennifer) that I show students.

That is what ole Pete Morris said, "Looks like a side spin about to happen" But BIGUN pointed out my body position (and size) as a way to over come it. :)

steveOrino

Biggest: 290 (adult female)

Holy shit! :o Better you than me...I would absolutely not make that jump. :S

Blues,
Dave

Just what I was thinking! Brian, would you do it again? She must have been in agony from the legstraps!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

It was her 3rd jump. She was 6' 2''. All things considered it was an easy jump and I would take HER again. Definately a case by case basis. I can't think of very many 290 lb females I would take on a tandem. Don't know how many of you have jumped at Spaceland, but we took the whole beer line on landing.

It was her 3rd jump. She was 6' 2''. All things considered it was an easy jump and I would take HER again. Definately a case by case basis. I can't think of very many 290 lb females I would take on a tandem. Don't know how many of you have jumped at Spaceland, but we took the whole beer line on landing.

Got any pics's or video:P