autoset

What's the correct order of the instructor ratings?

From lowest to highest?

3.jump master
2.coach
1.instructor
????

Also what would be the equivalent to the Riggers?

master rigger, senior rigger.....etc

Never was interested in the order of ratings before because i jump for fun and don't intend to be an instructor or anything, but would like to get this info straightened in my head and avoid this confusion between terms when talking to DZ staff.

Under the USPA system:

The lowest rating is a Coach
The next rating would be Jumpmaster (no longer issued)
Then Instructor
Finally, Instructor/Examiner (not issued after January 1, 2006)

For reference see the USPA Skydivers Information Manuel (SIM) Section 3-3

Safety and Training Advisor (S&TA) is an appointment by the Regional Director, and is not a rating.

The instructional programs recognized by USPA include

Static Line
Instructor Assisted Deployment (similar to Static Line)
Accelerated Freefall
Tandem

Rigger certificates are issued by the FAA. There is no plain “Rigger” certificate.

The first level of Rigger is Senior Parachute Rigger
The top level is Master Parachute Rigger

FAA Pilot ratings include:

Sport
Recreational
Private
Commercial
Airline Transport pilot (ATP)
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

The next rating would be Jumpmaster (no longer issued)

Hey Tom. Why is the USPA JM rating no longer issued? Is a USPA coach a combination of a Coach and JM. i.e Can a USPA coach supervise and dispatch S/L students?

Finally, Instructor/Examiner (not issued after January 1, 2006)

What is the equivalent of an Instructor/Examiner in the US now?

Instructor Assisted Deployment (similar to Static Line)

What is IAD. I've heard of it before, but never seen it used. I remember seeing some video of IAD used in the military, but thats about it. Does anyone still use this method of instruction anymore?

Dave
Ready...Set...Go..!

SkydiveSwakop

Why is the USPA JM rating no longer issued?

It was eliminated a few years ago in favor of a Coach as the entry level, and then an instructor as the supervisor. There was a good deal of controversy at the time, but that has settled now.

Can a USPA coach supervise and dispatch S/L students?

Nope. Students must be under the direct supervision of an instructor until having completed one successful clear and pull. Check out sections 3 and 4 in the USPA Skydivers Information Manual (SIM), sort of our industry bible for drop zones and instructors. There is an excellent outline of an entire program of instruction in section 4. The SIM is available as a free download at http://www.uspa.org/publications/manuals.htm

What is the equivalent of an Instructor/Examiner in the US now?

There really isn’t an equivalent now, other than pre-existing IE’s. The intent is to create a new package of course directors, and as I understand the plan, those would be equivalent to what was the IE. The IE rating was not very popular, and very few jumpers were even bothering to apply. We did need to qualify instructors to conduct rating courses, and those were handled by qualifying an instructor for a single type of course, i.e. tandem course director, AFF course director, coach course director. The new program should be a better fit for the skydiving community, once it is launched.

What is IAD. I've heard of it before, but never seen it used. I remember seeing some video of IAD used in the military, but thats about it. Does anyone still use this method of instruction anymore?

In a static line program a “rope” connects the pin, pilot chute, or the canopy to the airplane. As the jumper falls away the container is opened and the canopy extracted. In an Instructor Assisted Deployment (IAD) program the student uses a conventional freefall rig and the instructor holds the students pilot chute, then throws it clear as the student exits. IAD seems to be more popular now (relative to S/L) because it is easier and cheaper to use the same rigs for the first jumps and the successive freefall jumps, and because square parachutes tend to open better with an IAD deployment, rather than a S/L deployment. There are some additional issues with IAD from an instructor standpoint, but it is essentially a modified static line program.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

In Canada, instructor ratings run parallel with coach ratings, but some coach ratings are pre-levels for some instructor ratings.

The Coaching Association of Canada teaches the theoretical portion of coach ratings, while CSPA teaches the practical and technical portions of (skydiving) coach and instructor ratings.
For example, since a Coach 2 needs most of the same (proximity, observation and de-briefing) skills as a Progressive Freefall Instructor, Coach 2 is a pre-level to become a PFF Instructor.

Entry level is Coach 1.
Coach 2
Coach Course Conductor

IAD Instructor
PFF Instructor
Skydiving School Instructor (replaces old Instructor B)

Coach, IAD, PFF, etc. Course Conductors

CSPA does not have a separate Tandem Instructor rating, but insists that all TIs hold at least a Coach 1 rating and have passed a TI course led by a Tandem Examiner (approved by a tandem manufacturer).

Rigger A - entry-level, can repack reserves, etc.
Rigger B - does major repairs.
Rigger Instructor - teaches new riggers.
Rigger Examiner

Rob Warner
CSPA Coach 2
IAD, S/L. PFF and Tandem Instructor
CSPA Rigger Instructor
FAA Master Rigger
USPA IAD and S/L Instructor (lapsed)