cpoxon

Do you go out of your way to make an x000th jump a non-working one?

It's likely that I'll do my 2000th jump this weekend (5 jumps to go) and seeing as I'll be working (at the busiest tandem dropzone in the UK) it's likely to be a paid jump. Whilst I see x-thousand jump numbers as milestones, I don't think they are hugely significant so I'm not too bothered. On my 1000th jump, I was doing a wingsuit first flight. However, for some reason I have the urge to do something special for this one (although I don't know what), but I'm not prepared to give up a days work, so it's obviously not that strong! :S

Anyway, it got me wondering how all the other working skydivers feel about x-thousand jump jumps?

Oh, and by the way, I don't feel it to be a bind to be doing a tandem, as I love doing them, but it might be nice to do something a little different.

And another thing, I've been on a few x-hundred jump jumps and they generally don't work out so well as people are over-ambitious usually with a larger group of people how are all trying too hard not to muck up the person's special jump, which usually means something goes wrong! I don't have much experience of x-thousand jump jumps :P

I think I'll wait until 10k before I do something special (only 40 years to go at this rate!) :D

Edit: Oh yes, and I'm a part-timer.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I have in the past "skipped" the special jump during the work day, and the "made it up" at sunset with friends.

Oh and to prevent the zoo, keep the dive simple, and the axe sharp.:)

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

1000 tandem video
2000 tandem
3000 high performance crw broke two stack at flare time
4000 aff

3000 just happen to fall as a fun jump so we landed a two stack with a 96 velo and 96 xaos 27

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

My hundredth was a brilliant 3 point 14 way.

My thousandth was going to be a tandem and I got very pissy about it and manifested as a solo. I actually got 10 people to do something fun for it, but I had to be about as whiny as a turbine engine for it.

My two thousandth was video'ing my 4 way team, and they eventually dumped be for a ringer 4 way camera flier.

My mentor just had her 10,000th skydive, and she did it as a tandem, and the passenger had no appreciation for what an accomplishment it was. We did it again (like JP furnari suggests) later in the day.

At your level, it's pretty much skydivers with like experience who understand what a big deal it is (especially in England!)

Get through with the business of the day (or sit it out if you can) and then share your milestone with people who understand what you went through to accomplish it.

Cheers,

JP

(the old one)

I went to Perris for my 1000th, and to Crosskeys for my 5000th. Both of those are a long way from South Africa. My 4000th was a wingsuit rodeo with my partner riding me out the door. 3000 and 2000 I can't recall, so they must have been work jumps.:S

t

It's the year of the Pig.

Let's see???
I vaguely remember my 300 th jump being a demo ... somewhere in Nova Scotia.
My 500 th jump was also a demo, but into a restaurant in Portugal.
My 600 th was a solo in Freiburg, Germany.
My 800 th was a tandem in Ampfing.
My 1000 th was following a static-line student at Skydive Long Island.
My 2000 th was a tandem in Hemet, California.
The last jump I celebrated was my 3,000 th, a tandem in Pitt Meadows. The DZO took me out for a steak dinner.

Since then I have been too busy jumping to total my log books.
The last time I added up all my jumps was three years ago, and I had 4,200. ... don't have clue how many I have now, probably 5,000 ish????

I have tried on three of them, but all of them were unsuccessful. :S

1000 was a broken 18-way attempt
2000 was a work jump (filming a military student and instructor)
3000 was a broken 10-way hybrid (funneled by a fellow dotcommer)

4000? Who knows . . . maybe I can take my wife out on another tandem and my son and daughter can come and dock on her. Now THAT would be cool! B|

Arrive Safely

John

My 1st skydive was as a tandem passenger on a Strong Dual Hawk tandem system.

My 1000th skydive was as a tandem instructor at the same dropzone, that (completely unplanned) I ended up using the exact same Dual Hawk container system that I had made my 1st jump on.

I then moved to Orlando this past year to go to work for Strong Enterprises, and as I was approaching my 2000th jump, I thought, it would be most appropriate for it to be a tandem, but also wanted it to be something I'd look back on and remember, so I sent Mr. Strong an email and asked him if he would be interested in taking me on a tandem for my 2000th skydive. The reply I got back: "LET'S DO IT!", and a week or so later, we were headed down to the Florida Skydiving Center to make the jump. I was at 1998 jumps, so we decided that I would take him on a tandem for my 1999th jump and we would switch roles for my 2000th, and he would take me.

So that's my 2000th jump story: Ted Strong took me on a tandem. Technically a "work jump" in our "office in the sky"....lol. but definitely still a fun jump.

Best Regards,
Tom Noonan
Tandem Director
Strong Enterprises

My 500th and 1000th jumps were done with friends that I had been jumping with since I started, including one who I had been jumping with since I had 35 jumps, and we both made our 1000th together.

I would make sure I celebrate the milestone jumps with friends.

The 500th jump was done with the Alabama Gang at Quincy, WFFC 1997 out of Mullin's King Air, a 13 way speed star and video with Mike Mullins doing a fly-by past our building formation. :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My 500th and 1000th jumps were done with friends that I had been jumping with since I started, including one who I had been jumping with since I had 35 jumps, and we both made our 1000th together.

I would make sure I celebrate the milestone jumps with friends.

The 500th jump was done with the Alabama Gang at Quincy, WFFC 1997 out of Mullin's King Air, a 13 way speed star and video with Mike Mullins doing a fly-by past our building formation. :)

Err, Billy, did you notice what forum this is? :P

Coming up on #4000... just a part-timer. Here's how I broke it down:

#1000 Naked 10-way
#2000 At least 10-way RW with all my friends spelling out '2' and 'G' with the formations
#3000 Tandem PASSENGER for my friend getting his rating. This was an oops... didn't check the logbook until the end of the day.
#4000 ??? Hybrid or freefly jump, I imagine... something fun.

So, yes, I try to make the x-thousand jumps more memorable than a working jump.

I try to make it a more memorable jump, but if I'm training, then it just happens in the rotation.

Every milestone (read new license number) I ran away to a different DZ other than my home DZ. (didn't want to get pied). :P

1,000th was made with my former teammates over the years. Nice 9-way with my 'son' videoing.

2,000th was a training jump with one of my favorite 4-way teams, "Perris Exceed".

3,000th coming up. Haven't decided what that will be. Depends on where I am at the time. Maybe some head-down? :)

The rule is, have fun whatever you do, wherever you are. B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Every milestone (read new license number) I ran away to a different DZ other than my home DZ. (didn't want to get pied).

Perris folks (Bill Von comes to mind)...

It sounds like it is time to purchase 4 pies and a bottle of chocolate sauce. Write "A", "B", "C", "D" on the top of the pies, and issue them at the appropriate time. (Rules clearly state the receiver must be clean and unpied at the time issued, and I think separation requires at least 8 hours between the pies for the receiver to clean up).

Now, interest must be paid too. You may use any other food product that is equivalent to 10% of a pie, per year late....

Well, as it is in the UK, the weather hasn't been co-operative.Far from cracking out the 2000th as I thought I would in this post, the weather was far from perfect and got no where near to do it. Then the next weekend was equally bad. Switiching dropzones away from the one where I do most of my works jumps got me to one shy of the 2000 before the weather came in. The next day I went up in the plane but came back down due to the weather, so I didn't make the 2000th.

This week I am in Scotland, undertaking what we call here in the UK a Category System Basic Instructor which I guess is closest to the old, now defunct, s/l- jumpmaster USPA rating, i.e. if I pass this course I will be able to teach and dispatch under supervision. Anyway, part of the course is to practice dispatching static-line, but we use the other candidates of the course to get things turning over quickly. The forecast here in Scotland is not great at the moment so we took the advantage of getting the dispatching done first. So.....my 2000th jump was in fact a static-line jump over the fabulous scenary of Strathallan (you can see Gleneagles golf course very closeley from the air). So it may not have been a cool and groovy big-way, but it least it wasn't another tandem!

my 1000th was the best, the wifes 100. We both landed off. The next jump Bob holler had his first cutaway. So it was very memorable. The 2000th was videoing a tandem. I am sure the 3000th will also be a work jump. As long as the newbie tandem people have fun, thats all that matters
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

My 2900th and 3000th were both this year. 2900 I didn't worry about, but I hoped to make 3000a fun jump - hopefully a back to back 4-way -- (4 way rw followed by 4-crw). In which case it would really have to be on a weekend.

In the summer you could say I'm full-time, and I tried to work it that I finished Friday at 2999, and could do the 3000th on the first load Saturday, but weather for Wed, Thurs, Fri was bad, so I started working the weekend and just went right through.

3000 ended up being a tandem during the next week.

My 1999th jump was a demo into the Hamilton Airshow (pretty big affair over here) in 1993, followed by my 2000th 6 days later on a demo into Coronation Park in Oakville (a much smaller affair).

1000 was a fun 3-way in 1984, but I see I didn't even write down who the others on it were, so it wasn't that memorable.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone