Jeff.Donohue

Question for Instructors - Creation of Video

First off, by my jump numbers, you can see I'm an utter newbie. However, I've taught other stuff, and I'm really interested in better understanding how people learn.

Recently, got my Open Water SCUBA certification. The company I did it through (SSI) taught the class in a really interesting way, and I'm wondering if skydiving could benefit from a similar approach.

You would sign up for the class and get a handbook all about SCUBA and a DVD with six half-hour videos all about diving (the gear, what happens to your body underwater, safe SCUBA practice, etc.). You were supposed to read the book and watch the DVD before the first class.

The book was divided up in six parts to cover the same subjects as the DVD. There was a written quiz at the end that to prove that you read the book and/or watched the DVD.

The classroom sessions cover a lot of the same material in the book and the DVD, but they also cover the subjects more in depth. With the responses to the quizzes, the instructors could figure out what people didn't understand from the book and DVD and really focus on those issues. The instructor's role wasn't so much to introduce the basics of the material, but to make sure people really got it and to really expand on what the students had learned from the video and book.

The class room sessions (which is their equivalent to an FJC) lasts two days.

I really enjoyed and learned a lot from my FJC and I thought my instructors were all fantastic, so this isn't a knock on anybody, but I wonder if someone like the USPA were to create a DVD like that, which was required watching before a FJC, if it might help training.

We (sort of) have a similar book with the SIM, but to my knowledge (very limited) there's no such video.

Maybe it's overkill/unnecessary, and feel free to blast the idea. Maybe it would be distracting or create conflicts ("but the video says do X, instructor says do Y...").

I'm curious as to your collective thoughts.

I know this can of worms has been opened before, but it is a great question. I am a divemaster as well as teach the FJC. The difference is that Padi puts out the training and accepts the liability of its teachings. In skydiving, USPA offers an outline, but has yet to put it to video. I do know that several reputable individuals are working on what you suggest as we type....the problem I think will be in the liability/risk category.. Good Luck, obviously you are educating yourself which means you are on the right track.....blue skys

Check out this tread . It talks about the same thing that you are asking
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2741141;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!