toronto_bill

Handicam Incidents? Have one? heard of one?

However, when I train a tandem I always show them all of the components of the rig, I show them how it works and why. I go over airplane emergencies, I inform them how we spot, I give them an altimeter and train them to pull. I inform them on freefall skills, how to steer, control and flare the canopy.

Which is probably one reason why you have 3000 jumps in 11 years.

If you did 1000 jumps a year I can guarantee you would not do all that.

You save that for the second jump.

cryptocoin

However, when I train a tandem I always show them all of the components of the rig, I show them how it works and why. I go over airplane emergencies, I inform them how we spot, I give them an altimeter and train them to pull. I inform them on freefall skills, how to steer, control and flare the canopy.

Why stop doing it right? For what, more $$? More jump #'s?
[:/]

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Why stop doing it right? For what, more $$? More jump #'s?
[Unsure]

Energy, time, and keeping your job.

As most are paid by the jump, they want to be able to get as much in as possible.

Busy DZ's are manifested accordingly, so if you re fucking around too much you are leaving the plane turning and it is costing valuable time and resources.

There is no need for a 30 minute briefing, in fact most people could care less, they just want to jump.Also giving too much information waters down the important factors.

I find the less you tell them the better they do. Primacy in learning, teach the arch and leave the landing briefing for under canopy.

less information, less confusing = less chance of them peaking out and doing something stupid.

cryptocoin

Funny thing about that.... I've got that 900-1000 jump per year average, 8500+ tandems, and 13,000 total, and I DO show them all of that. It's required by federal law in the US.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

diablopilot

Funny thing about that.... I've got that 900-1000 jump per year average, 8500+ tandems, and 13,000 total, and I DO show them all of that. It's required by federal law in the US.

As it should be. +1
Anything less is substandard.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

cryptocoin

Bullshit.

Brilliant response, but keep tilting at windmills.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Today at the Drs. waiting room I started leafing thru a few month old copy of "Outside" mag. It was a short article on body mounted go pros dangers, pretty good, there are some after market mounts that do things like require drilling a 3 foot pole to a helmet. And listing injuries like it snaging on a tree as the biker rode past. Almost broke his neck. Also listed a BASE fatality from MOAB bridge, bridle snaging on a foot long go pro chest extension. They quoted info gleaned from DROPZONE.COM and a few people by name listing both. So we should beware of what we say. Just a reminder that what we say here goes directly to the plaintiffs lawyer.

DougH

In between there is a whole bunch of variety depending on how much effort the instructor wants to invest, and what the working conditions will allow.

I explain how canopy flight works, why, and I have them participate. I show them the gear. I talk to them about progressing in the sport, and all the different things you can do in skydiving.

You want to say they aren't students because I don't have them all pull all I can say is don't really give a shit! I am happy with the way I interact and train my students. They enjoy their jump, and the leave the drop zone with more knowledge about skydiving than then showed up with.

I am going to stick with my opinion that they are students because I have an objective as an instructor to teach them something about skydiving.

I'm in the same boat with you. Our DZ doesn't put altimeters on tandem passengers or have them pull. But I teach them "legs in" aff signal (very handy). I also have them fly the canopy from opening to about 1000'. During that time, I have them check canopy, find the wind sock, find the landing area, check for traffic, explain the radio they would have on an AFF jump, discuss landing direction and why, and generally do the things they would do on an AFF jump under canopy. I find most are very receptive to it. I dial it back, of course, if I find the passenger seems overwhelmed or nervous.

But yes, I try to treat them as students, assuming the tandem is just a prelude to the AFF class. B|