Para5-0

FJC Malfunction Video

I agree 100% with what you said...B|

You get a great video that matches the DZs training program and use it as part of the program and I am all for it!

My simple concern was - equipment changes, equipment is different, training changes, training is different... You mentioned old ripcords. Say a DZ still uses those... The canopy mal would look the same, how to fix it might be different.

So, if I was going to produce a mass marketed video I would intentionally leave out the equipment and how to do the EPs on that equipment.

If I was going to do a DZ specific video, I would show the DZ equipment and DZ policy on EPs.

Thanks for letting me play devil's advocate with you on these back and forth volleys - as you call them... I have learned a lot by challenging what I believe and hearing what others have said. Just because I have challenged your ideas does not mean I have not already accepted some of them. Enjoy your work - I am off to Vegas in a few hours for work myself. Yes, work...:S

Fourth, there are a lot of elementals missing from your vid. If you "understand how the world works" then you wouldn't be violating multiple copyrights, as one small example.

I have have bin thinking about what you said about this .My thought is that I guess every person who puts a video on SDM's or Utube or any where else for that matter is violating copyrights . Do they ask the musicians to use there music on the video?
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

My thought is that I guess every person who puts a video on SDM's or Utube or any where else for that matter is violating copyrights

Hell No. There are a lot of people posting original material to those sites.
Owned by Remi #?

I know but the music they use on there video would be a copyright violation , No ?

Doesn't matter. Not all of my videos have music, and not all music is a copyright violation, but even if it is it still does not give you the right to violate both the music and the video. Furthermore it might not be wise because the skydiving community is so small and people know each other, so if you rip off one skydiver, another may not give you their video to use.

Just because something is put on the 'net doesn't mean you can do what you want with it. Try using one of Norman Kent's photo's :S Esp if you re-edit stuff, that makes it even worse.

Skydivers on the whole are NICE so usually just ask it's probably ok if not for commercial use. Don't nick stuff if you don't wanna get burned. and don't make feeble excuses either [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

And as far as copy rights I clealy state that It was material taken from that web site . I am not reselling anything . As far as I know when you put a video on a public web site its there for the taking .

Just FYI: I don't normally approve any videos that are "re-edits" of other peoples work. A lot of people upload compilations or remixes of their favorite videos, and I never approve them (at least not on purpose) unless they have permission from the owners of the original videos. I made an exception in this case, because it was for training purposes and not just a creative edit.

I would appreciate a "bibliography" though... at least for the final product (I'll just replace the current one when it's done). The copyright holders should get credit for their work. Also, if the owners of the footage complain, I will have to remove it. I've had that happen before, and the uploader just left a blank spot in the video (I think it said something like "clip removed because of a ___...") and uploaded a new version.

BTW, I was shown "Breakaway" (at least I think that's what it was) in my first jump course. I was expected to know the names of the various malfunctions, to be able to differentiate between "nuisances" and malfunctions that required a cutaway.

Dave

Thanks Dave. If there is any problems please take it off . That is the last thing I was trying to do and to anyone who has a problem with me using their video clips just email me and ill take it out and if one of your video clips is in there please email me with your info so i can give you credit for it thanks :)

FWIW; I just happen to have a previous life in training and teaching - there is a big difference between the two. This is a very interesting thread and just to add a couple of things.

1) As one who's seen Mykel's training videos, please don't take what he's saying as criticism; he's trying to help you produce a better product and at no charge and in the face of sacrificing revenue himself by technically helping a competitor. But, that goes to his love of and for this sport. Ask to see some of his videos and learn from it.

2. As to copyright - there is a provision which allows the use of copyrighted material for educational purposes. However, that provision is for nonprofit institutions of which DZ's are not.

Here's a couple of websites for you and Dave to review regarding the matter.

http://www.copyright.com/ccc/do/viewPage?pageCode=cr10-n

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#110

I can make copies and use infromation when teaching college without jeopardy of violating copyright infringement (although the general rule is not more than one chapter and credit must be given); however, I cannot use that same chapter to teach skydiving at a for profit center.

And to answer the next question - In teaching; they don't have to get it or use it. In training - they do.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Just so everyone knows the project was scraped and the video's were removed from SDM's . No one complained ,I just thought It would be a good Idea after reading this tread. Thank You too everyone that helped threw this project ,I learned a lot even if I didn't finish it Blue skies

the cutaway video from pier ltd is a good one.

I use that one a lot. I especially like Bob Halecks over the top speech about line twists or something ;)

Lots of great info! Students who haven't jumped in more than 2-3 weeks at our DZ sit down and watch it as part of their safety review.

It's a coincedence that this thread happens to come up right now. I have just finished editing a first jump course video that has been four years in the making. Actually, the scripting started in the summer of 2002 by Tim and Sherry Butcher and the filming started in February 2003. Tim and Sherry have invested over $10,000 in equipment, travel, payroll and other associated costs. Tim and his partner, Kevin McCole, have donated countless hours of aircraft time and I have invested hundreds of hours editing.

A sample of Wink's video can be found here:

http://www.downtoearthrigging.com
Owned by Remi #?

I'd just like to make a few comments on your fjc video. I recently purchased it and I think it is an excellent video. I've been jumping for a little while now, but decided to purchase the video as a refresher and extra knowledge.

I found the video very helpful and it reminded me some things that I'd forgotten from my own training. I can see very much time and hard work has been put into making this video and it is very easy to understand.

Thank you so much for all of your hard work to help us newbies to be safer in the sky!

K