TheFousts

AFF/FJC Powerpoint?

Can anyone provide a copy of a First Jump Course/AFF ground school on Powerpoint? I want to make one specific to my DZ but didn't want to go from scratch if possible. I'll cite you and give you credit if you want ;-) Thanks for any help...Happy Flights!

Can anyone provide a copy of a First Jump Course/AFF ground school on Powerpoint? I want to make one specific to my DZ but didn't want to go from scratch if possible. I'll cite you and give you credit if you want ;-) Thanks for any help...Happy Flights!

Besides the crapola you have received for the double post - you have a valid question. I know of one other instructor seeking a powerpoint type demonstration.

I did about 10 FJC, with an average class size of 10, last summer about one every 2 to 3 weeks... Then a few this winter... I have dialed it in to the point I understand when people are going to look sleepy, when people are going to get confused, and when people need training aids.

I personally don't want a powerpoint (for my style, it may work wonderful for someone else), because I won't be able to improv when people get sleepy and jump to a new spot in the course. I actually at this point don't even really follow an outline (but check my outline often during breaks so nothing is forgotten) - as I like to take the energy from the class and use it to best teach... Sometimes we skip ahead hours when people start asking questions that are valid and can be taught.

But - here is where I wish I had more training aids...

The explanation of two out. I use my hands, I use pictures, and even a video... But I wish I could clean that up a bit. The side by side is not on the video we have...

Also - every time - when we get to obstacle avoidance (buildings, powerlines, trees) - I seem to get sleepy eyes. Perhaps it is because I hate teaching this section too... But it is a hard one to get focus on.

Also - I am a firm believer that training WHY instead of WHAT, helps with understanding and retention. I then quiz the students with "why" instead of "what". Instead of asking, "what does a canopy do after a turn?" I will ask, "A canopy dives in a toggle turn, why?" So, instead of just saying, "If you flare to high, do this..." I expand on the fundamentals of why a canopy does what it does on flare, including the basics of the concept of the "window" and "angle of attack."

I was nervous at first I would overwhelm the students and they would not understand. But I quiz the crap out of them every 45 minutes or so on stuff they learned - and every time since I started teaching these basics, the class could accurately and impressively explain back to me the fundamentals of canopy landings, and thus why a toggle whipn turn, or going from full flare to full flight at 10 feet, both are bad scenarios... Weeks later I have asked the students and they still retain...

But, I use training aids such as sunglasses to represent the canopy and the sunglasses thing you put around your head to keep them on to represent the canopy lines, and my hand at the bottom to represent a person. I can "land the sunglasses" in the classroom, but I sure wish I had some more training visuals for step by step of a canopy landing (photos from the side with a vertical line to show the movement of the person in the window and the change of the angle of attack.)

So, basically what I am saying is - after careful consideration, I have a few things I would whip out my computer for in the FJC, and if you wanna help team up on some of this stuff, I would be interested. Jumpnaked69 on these forums is equally as interested.

Imagine the time in hours/days one took to complete the project. Now imagine what a software consultant would charge as compensation. And all you will do is cite the developer?

well, this is a huge help. at least your post had a little smiley face thingy.

Fousts, as tdog mentioned i kind of like the idea of putting together a FJC PPT presentation. the idea, in my mind, is using it to cover a lot of the basics as a visual aid and provide more format for the course. Slides to provide visual representation of malfunctions, hand signal presentation, the landing area, an ideal Level 1, etc. Still the students should leave the classroom and actually see and touch the parts of a rig with lots of repetition and quizzing like the grandmaster of instruction, tdog, likes to have them do.

Last year I averaged more than 1 FJC/week. Although I provide a PPT presentation for them to take home I do not use it to lecture. In 2003 created the PPT from the SIM using Cat. A guidelines. The original poster can create his own. He may even learn something along the way. He may buy one from me if he wishes. B|

Also - every time - when we get to obstacle avoidance (buildings, powerlines, trees) - I seem to get sleepy eyes. Perhaps it is because I hate teaching this section too... But it is a hard one to get focus on.

Take the class outside where the obstacles are?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Maybe teach this portion directly out of the SIM?

Maybe teach this portion directly out of the SIM?

I do both. ;-) When we walk the landing area we identify as a class all the obstacles. I ask them to point them out, and they find them.

I guess I was not specific... Not the avoidance, but the "it already happened" portion. It is the "if you have to land in a tree, do this." "if you have to land in a powerline, do this."

I agree, if we could all land in trees, it would keep everyone awake.:P:P

I find reading directly out of the SIM is much more boring than me making a fool of myself, making jokes about me, pretending to land in a tree....

tdog, come on. everyone knows you've landed in a tree more than a few times. just show them the real videos.

Me, never... There was a catus in Eloy that ate a line on my canopy, and I have video of me calling it very mean names, but that does not count. Now, there was that student who did land in the tree the same day you earned your nickname"... Would you please let me have that video?

I can see an application for power point during a lecture section of the FJC, but not the whole course you might as well write a FJC manual for your students, that they can keep, it would be as useful if not more.

The difference between a good instructor and a poor one is the good instructor will improvise with success when training aids are unavailable in order to deliver the message.
Memento Mori

The BPA has a very good PPT FJC designed for a Static line course. We took Netheravon's and adapted it for IAD and our DZ.
If you could get a copy of one it would give you some very good ideas on how to make your presentation effective. (Sorry but I no longer have a copy of it).
BTW Tdog that file has a rather grainy but otherwise very good side by side video on it.