AdD

Immigrating to NZ to do tandems, info plz if you've done it

What is the relative cost of housing, food, etc.?

That really depends on where you are,

Queenstown for example is very expensive, I 'm not sure about Taupo but is is a small rural town so probably not too expensive.

In Auckland rent is expensive but food is cheap.

You have to know where you are going to get a definitive answer to that question.

we have a job going here in africa if you want!

You will spend no more than $500 a month on all expenses here in africa and you have a retainer of double that!

I can tell you want to go to NZ though and I don't blame you.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Thanks for the PM advice before I went to NZ, rhys. Now I just need to find a way to go back there on a more permanent basis, preferably in a GS job, like with the Embassy or the VPP in Christchurch. Any leads on that one? ;)

I noticed, while we were staying in Queenstown, that there were several houses on Fern Hill that seemed to be rented or otherwise occupied by 3-4 students or tourist-based industry workers. Might make living there a bit more affordable. Also, Glenorchy is only about 35 minutes away from Queenstown and seems to be a bit less busy than Queenstown...except for the fact that they were filming "Prince Caspian" up the road in Paradise.

Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

like with the Embassy or the VPP in Christchurch. Any leads on that one? [Wink]

ahh what's VPP? I grew up in ch-ch never heard of it.

Fern hill is less expensive than central QT but still expensive and is a permafrost freezer in the winter.

Piling yourself into a rental place like sardine can is 1 way of getting around the expensive rent I suppose.

:D

Glenorchy is amazing and i really miss jumping there.

If you have a good vehicle that is probably the nicest option, as long as the 'filmies' are not in town while you are looking for accommodation. The price tends to quadruple during those periods.

Since 'lord of the rings' rental prices have never been the same.

Glad to hear you had a good time!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

VPP is the US consulate's Virtual Presence Post on South Island. The Embassy and the Consulate are in Wellington and Auckland, respectively, and I'd rather stay on South Island if I make a move that far.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

TI were on the high priority occupation list in NZ last sure (not sure now but easy to check - go to the NZ immigration website) which means its easy to get a work permit. Even easier if you have a job to go to.

Rhys is correct - sportskydiving is pretty much dead with few sports skydivers left. It is difficult to stay motivated. There does not appear to be any degree of organisation either. A new exec committee was voted in to the NZPF app 3 weeks ago but as yet I have had no communication from this organisation even though I am a member.

I jump at a small cessna operated DZ (Cloud 9) in the centre of North Island. Sportskydiving friendly and great operators. Always welcome to drop in there for a jump on weekends mainly.

Rich
---------------------------------------
Everything that happens to you in life is your teacher. The secret is to learn to sit at the feet of your life and be taught.

I'm sad to say it is not so hot with the sport skydiving here in Mot. The enviromeent has changed a lot. The owner is still cool and sport orientated, but most of sport orientated people has gone from DZ and most remaining emploees incl. manager doesn't want to hear of doing skydive unles they are paid for. It is harder and harder to do a sport jump. It is getting dificult to have beer at the evening at the DZ (unless we wanna face grumpy manager at the next few days).

When I was in NZ in the early 1990s sport jumping was going full blast but there were also tandem mills popping up all over.

They had Japanese tandem tourists lined up for miles . . .

Take note America - New Zealand's present may be our future . . .

NickD :(
BASE 194

When I was in NZ in the early 1990s sport jumping was going full blast but there were also tandem mills popping up all over.

They had Japanese tandem tourists lined up for miles . . .

Take note America - New Zealand's present may be our future . . .

This trend is not only the product of greedy DZO's wanting to push sport skydivers away.

A jump ticket in New Zealand costs in the regon of twice the price that it does in the USA due to the availability of aircraft and fuel.

Also equipment is probably 20% more expensive in New Zealand in comparison due to supply, demand and shipping costs.

Sport skydiving is not dead in New Zealand, it will not die, but it sure as hell is taking a good beating due to the current status of the administration.

Things are changing, the industry is still growing and the current NZPIA have new competition from a sport skydiving orentated opponent the NZSA. The NZPIA are being/have been investigated by the CAA and the Depatment of Economic Development for monopolising tactics.

Soon all operators will need a part 135 that will bring the standards to commercial aviation level.

This in my opinion is a very good thing.
This will probably increrase the price (a little) but will rid the industry of the dodgy private arcraft owner type goings on that can make working in the industry not only uncomfortable but dangerous.

So yes USA, your industry is probably likely to undergo a similar transformation due to economics.
Better get in behind that petition or....

Buy your book of 1000 jumps now!!