NSEMN8R

Have you ever given a student drouge rash?

I voted no, BUT I have a story! I took a young lady in the fall last year who, when showing me her arch bent over backwards from a standing position and touched her head to the floor (VERY flexible). When in the plane I reminded her to arch and (foolishly) said "You can't arch too hard" (hint: I won't ever say that again :o ).
We left the plane, her right foot came outside of mine and she bent herself in 2 (but very tense). I reached back for the drogue and grabbed her foot. I brought my arm back, ensured we were stable and belly to earth still, reached back and forced her foot out of the way and it was a struggle, during which we started to turn. I grabbed the drogue, tossed it, it hit her foot and bounced back merely brushing my arm on the way. It burned through the two layers and the lining of my beautiful Ouragan tandem jacket and seared across my arm, the burn scar is still visible 4 1/2 months later.
On the ground she asked me if she had arched hard enough.......... ;)

ps: Nancy Tremblay patched my jacket - I love that woman!
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I'm not even sure how one would go about doing that...barrel rolling through the bridle during the throw while head high? Gah!

On the worst one I saw video of, a TM got taken out by the camera guy just as he was going to toss it. It came out and got wrapped around this chick's neck. Tore the skin off everywhere it touched. It's surprising that it didn't end up much worse.

On another one I was on video, the TM looked like he was having trouble getting it belly to earth. He was on his side (drouge side down) and he just threw it. It shot right up between the pair and they rolled onto their backs while the bridle ran right up the back of the girl's neck and head. She had a frap hat on that probably saved some skin and hair, but the back of her neck that wasn't covered just got shredded.

On another one I videod, the pair were on thier bellys and started to rotate slowly backward. The TM reached as they started to rotate, but didn't pitch until they were just past vertical. TM said it was a hard drouge pull. In the video it looks like they were sitflying. The student had his arms straight out and the drouge got under. It tore up his long sleeve shirt and left a gnarly rash from the inside bicep to his wrist.

That bridle is nothing to mess with.

I have never given a student bridle rash but I have given it to myself. I had a tall lanky guy put me a touch head high and to the drogue side just as I was about to pitch it. Bridle snaked over my arm and I felt it brush my neck. I twisted my head out of the way as I released the drogue and the bridle left a nice burn on my neck. Not much I could have done to prevent it, but as rule I never rush a drogue throw, never lazily toss it and ensure I am as stable as can be.
This is a good argument to not taking a tandem out the door spinning somersaults, you never know of that bridle is going to come out and anaconda your ass.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"