shortyj

have you ever had?

I have never had a jump refusal (ride the plane down). I have had one or two people become so overwhelmed after exit that they were unresponsive during portions of the canopy ride. I do agree that I would rather stay on the plane and ride it down than exit with a student that has already lost it.

One guy told me he was going to be sick - I gave him the sick bag I carry with me, and he began to dry heave into it. At that point he checked out and quit listening to me. During the landing approach I repeatedly told him to grab his legs and pull them up, and he ignored me. Finally, I simply told him that if we landed with his legs hanging down as they were, he stood a good chance of getting hurt. At that point I put mine under his and physically pushed them up and out as much as I could. He met me halfway and got them up plenty far enough for me to set us down safely.

Now that I have done that with him and one other student, I feel more confident in my ability to land someone who has either passed out or is completely unresponsive.
Arrive Safely

John

"I think I would still take someone out even if they said no as long as they were not physically resisting me."

When a student says no! it means NO!.

Drag them out and they get hurt, and let me know what the jury says.

As a course director, one of the things I try to make crystal clear is this fact. " I don't think I want to go"'or anything to that effect you are still in the clear, but if your student says "NO" then you get to enjoy a particularly expensive plane ride down with them.

ralph

It wasn't so much as her saying no as it was her fighting me as I tried to move towards the door. I think I would still take someone out even if they said no as long as they were not physically resisting me.

i do beg your pardon? leaving the plane with a resisting pax/student is - afaik - in no way by any "book" regarding passenger procedures.

when the green light comes i always ask: do you want to jump? if its yes and we are in the door we go. if its a "no" and we ae still seated, we'll ride the plane down. period!
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

i had one pax freak out in freefall (it was my first day of jumping paying customers!), legs and arms all around right when we left the plane, so i had quite something to do before i got evrything under control and the drogue set :S as she wasn't very cooperative i decided to end the dive and pulled high in 9 grand
did i hate it? no. because i learned to always expect the unexpected, to be prepared and to handle the situation
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

when the green light comes i always ask: do you want to jump? if its yes and we are in the door we go. if its a "no" and we ae still seated, we'll ride the plane down. period!

I agree. I always ask if they are ready to skydive right about door opening time. If they say no, or are physically resisting, taking them out of the aircraft against their will at that point opens an opportunity for a lawsuit - especially if they get hurt.

I will never take anyone out of an airplane that doesn't want to go.
Arrive Safely

John

to be more precise:

a pax knows before bording, that he has the opportunity to stay with me in the plane if he/she doesn't want to jump.
i ask them once on the way to alti if they want and once when the doors opens.

the only reason to go with a pax yelling "NOOOOOOO!" is when we are already in the door - then it's too late baby.......:)

dudeist skydiver # 666

"I think I would still take someone out even if they said no as long as they were not physically resisting me."

When a student says no! it means NO!.

Drag them out and they get hurt, and let me know what the jury says.

As a course director, one of the things I try to make crystal clear is this fact. " I don't think I want to go"'or anything to that effect you are still in the clear, but if your student says "NO" then you get to enjoy a particularly expensive plane ride down with them.

ralph

Relax. I do agree with you. My wording wasn't the best but I simply meant I would still take someone even if they were unsure or didn't expressly say they want to go as long as there was no resistance. I've seen too many people be glad they went who were frozen in the door. Just because they weren't all gung ho in the door and screaming yes doesn't mean they don't want to go.

i do beg your pardon? leaving the plane with a resisting pax/student is - afaik - in no way by any "book" regarding passenger procedures.

Re read what I wrote. I will not take a passenger who is resisting me. I will take someone who isn't totally sure though as long as they are not resisting. (shouldn't have used the no word.)

Word bro! I ask evrytime "Are you ready to skydive" and if they say no,then we do not go.
I do not even try to convince them to go after I hear NO. The cool thing is I still get paid to take a plane ride. I would rather skydive but I like airplane rides also.

That's probably a repost, but it matches the subject so well...

What do you do when the tandem student "f*cking hates you"?
Answer on skydivingmovies:
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3353&string=fucking%20hate
"We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance."
http://bancomicsans.com

Steve that pic is funny is he still passed out at that point?:)

Yeah, he actually didn't pass out until 70-100 feet above landing . Look at his eyes. Lights on, no one home. He came to almost immediately upon landing. I held him up and Mel kindof talked to him. His family was walking out the the landing by then and we wanted him to keep his machismo. ;)

steveOrino

only one refusal , out of 8500, and that was a guy who was pressured by his family and friends,and never really wanted to jump. 1 girl who refused on 1st pass,we did a go around, and she was so calm, even tho we were standing in the door spotting, she had a great jump.
i did witness a girl who freaked out big time, screaming, crying.etc.even before the door opened.
after landing in the plane ,her father abused her, the tm,and all the dz staff, for not jumping!! incredible!