SimonBones

My tandem double mal today

:)
I'm glad you went out of it clean & healthy.

There is only ONE way to close the Sigma main container as it should be.

It is very easy to see if the ripcord lines are set in the right way, it is only a matter of knowing the system & run the inspection as it MUST be done.

During the inspection TOUCH the inspected points with your finger, you touched you checked it,
you only look at the area you might miss a point.

Inspect in an order & do not jumps between the points.

When I train my TI on the sigma I always tell: if you are NOT sure about the the right setting of the pin. lines, safety pin, bridle & disk - ask your fellow TI OR look at the drawing on the INSIDE of the main closing flap - NOT knowing the system you use might kill you & your student.

Even when going back to back make some rules:

Check your rig at all time & points. Check your student harness fitting & the hook knife is in the pocket.
Check your rig fitting on you body & touch all the handles.
Check the Sigma lanyard Shackle if it was not released from any reason: winds, error etc.

The right accurate gear check is one of the keys to SAFE tandem jumps or any other jump.

Do you check the long Yellow cutaway cable goes in the RSL lanyard loop at each time before you pick up the rig ? Do you check that your reserve ripcord "marine eye" is out from the #0 grommet ?

Does the Sigma rigs you jump have a skyhook system ?

By the way why you cutaway when you had a TOTAL ?

Safe Jumps !!!

The Sigma system I was jumping was equipped with a skyhook and I do check the collins lanyard and all before my jump.

This was my thought process for cutting away on the total:

On a jump over the blue skies ranch NY some years ago, my roommate and great friend had this happen right before my eyes under canopy as we had just broken off from a jump. He had a pilot chute in tow (from not cocking... dumbass) and went straight for his reserve. That is when I noticed because his main is not solid blue with a free bag. The main D-bag fell out of the container and voila! The main came out and started inflating behind the reserve causing the reserve canopy to dive forward and slightly to the right. No big deal... he chopped it, problem solved.

Personally, on my own sport rig I choose to not cut away if I had a total or a PCIT (and no sport PCIT cutaway arguments need start over this here now, take it elsewhere). However after watching what happened to him I decided I WOULD for a tandem. When I was trying to deploy the main on that tandem jump, I was not sure what the status of the closing system was. I did not know if the safety pin had come out, or if it was stuck, or if the bridle was caught on something on the rig or if the drogue release pin actually did come out. I do not have eyes on the back of the tandem rig. To try and eliminate all possibility of any kind of main/reserve entanglement or reserve fouling of any kind I just cut away. It didn't hurt anything.

Also, going through the TI course I was taught once a sequence had been started, follow the entire sequence through in order. That is what I did. What's the worst that could happen? Lose a main still in the Dbag? Or possibly what actually did happen. A drogue/reserve tangle is probably better than a main/reserve tangle anyway.

I am however, a relatively inexperienced tandem instructor (and young grasshopper) compared to many of you out there with thousands of tandem jumps. I am completely open and appreciative to any kind of feedback about this and would love to hear about other experiences relating to this and how it turned out.

Thanks,
Simon Palacio
(Bones)
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook