brettpobastad

Skydiving professionals: How do you get paid?

You should have allowed multiple responses. I have worked at a DZ where I got taxed and was paid monthly and I have worked at a DZ where I was allowed to independently train my own students and get paid directly. I have also worked at another DZ where I was paid cash at the end of the day for the work I did.

Chuck Blue
D-12501, AFF/SL/TM-I, PRO, BMCI

You should have allowed multiple responses. I have worked at a DZ where I got taxed and was paid monthly and I have worked at a DZ where I was allowed to independently train my own students and get paid directly. I have also worked at another DZ where I was paid cash at the end of the day for the work I did.

Chuck Blue
D-12501, AFF/SL/TM-I, PRO, BMCI

Like Chuck, I've been paid cash/check at the end of the day/week/boogie without any tax forms, by cash/check the following week with tax forms at the end of the year, collected directly from students then paid slots plus a "liability fee" to the DZ, worked on a plus/minus account where cash only changed hand when I or the DZO needed money, etc.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Some time ago I used to get paid at the end of the day by the DZ, and at the end of the year the Zone sends me a form W-2 for my taxes. I had no problem with this set up because and when each day was done I had cash in my pocket.

Now I am an independent contractor and the student pays me cash up front, my fee plus pay the packers. Its not a bad system for the DZ, it makes their accounting more efficient, and eliminate the likely hood of the staff skimming some extra cash though false invoicing. There is a down side, but its more of an inconvenience compared, and that is I have to make sure the packer gets paid and do the meet and great with the next peace of meat, if I am on a quick turn. Now on the good side I can claim less income at the end of the year and stick it to the MAN, its the American way, more money for me and less for him. I figure I can spend the money better then he can.
Memento Mori