brettpobastad

Skydiving professionals: How do you get paid?

I usually take payment in the form of being treated like shit, and disrespected....cuz we ALL know, it just doesn't work out at the end of the day. Sorry, there was no button for that option.

You probably get the pay you deserve.......:D

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I have been thinking about pursuing a career in any field to do with skydiving, whether it be on a dropzone or in a tunnel......, obviously it's the passion of flying that keeps anyone going, but is it worth paying SO much money in order to get to some level of qualification in order to start earning money, and is the money good enough to sustain a comfortable way of living? Or is it better to just keep skydiving as a passionate hobby? I only have myself to rely on to get anywhere anyway, so it's gonna blow the budget but I'm willing to suffer in the interem if it's worth it and constant work is guaranteed, if there's a need or lack of either!
Any advice is welcomed, thanks:)

Hey Brett, you didn't allow for multiple answers so I didn't vote. At my DZ I get cash at the end of the day for the FJC. For tandem videos, jumpmaster fees, packing etc. the DZ keeps track and cuts me a check. I get a tax form at the end of the year. On working jumps my slot is also covered.

So I get cash, checks, and jump credit. For rigging service the equipment owner pays me directly.

I like getting the tax form at the end of the year because I always spend more than I make so I get a nice write off.

Hey Brett! Over here at Central Oregon, we get paid by Bob at day's end with a check. When we reach $600.00 in earnings, we're then given a 1099 to fill out. All tips and other forms of "gratuity" are a jealously guarded secret that are extensively bragged about.

Pigpen

This seems to have become some wierd twisted northwest cyber reunion and it's freakin me out.
Just kiddin guys, it's nice to hear ya ranting.
By the way, I get paid by check and it's between 30 and 60$ per hop depending on if its a handy cam or not.
I know the boss would like to pay me more because everyone knows I'm worth it, but he can not afford anymore at this time.
Remember it's all fun and games till the drouge bridle is around your neck.

...is it worth paying SO much money in order to get to some level of qualification in order to start earning money...

Up to you - that's a subjective question.

...is the money good enough to sustain a comfortable way of living?

Not really. The odds on you ever owning your own house go down markedly.

Or is it better to just keep skydiving as a passionate hobby?

That's what I've decided to do.

... I'm willing to suffer in the interem if ... constant work is guaranteed

Usually not. If it's raining, no cash. If you have sinus problems, no cash. If the operation owner sucks at marketing, no cash.

There are compensations, but it's not a gravy train.