tqsmile

sigma deployment

assuming your hard pulls are not caused by misrigging . . . when you grip the primary handle (golf ball), do so with your thumb facing out as much as possible. This rotates your elbow to the inside. Then brace your elbow against the container which will give you more leverage. B|
Arrive Safely

John

Some Sigma hard pulls have been reported in the UK. From Item 5 (Incident/Injury Reports - Resume) the minutes from the 1st of June 2006 meeting of the British Parachute Association Safety and Training Committee meeting

The Chairman stated that there had been several cases reported of jumpers having stiff pulls on Sigma’s He stated that the vast majority of these appeared to be in military parachuting.

Mike Rust reported that he had jumped the Sigma had a few hard pulls, which he believed was down to packing.

I only have about 15 jumps on Sigmas, all packed myself, but didn't have any stiff pulls.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I've had these on the primary too, haven't used the secondary yet on the sigma. They seem to be quite common over here and roting the ball solves it.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I've only done 4-5 jumps on the sigma yet, so still getting the feel for the primary... (it's winter season over here)

Normally every other 5 jumps I go for the secondary

The "golf bal" gets stuck on the housing, roting it, releases this.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I've had it when one of two things happen.

1. The packjob is thick and not wide. I think it caused more pressure on the disc against the flaps pulling against the closing loop.

2. Twisted ripcord material.

Beyond that I've noticed that a minorly harder pull on the primary due to the position on the left side. The pull on the right side is easier due to its position. Atleast that's my take on it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Because of its position, down low behind your back, the left hand Sigma ripcord seems harder to pull. But, if you put a scale on it, you would find that the force necessary to pull it, is exactly the same, or slightly less, than the right side handle. After all, you are pulling the same pin, through a slightly shorter housing. It feels harder, however, because you can only generate about 1/4 of the force with your left arm behind your back, than you can with your right hand in front of you. It is also harder to pull the ball straight off the housing from the behind-your-back position, so it takes some practice to get it right. I have toyed with the idea of bringing the left hand ripcord up front into the same relative position as the right ripcord, but everyone tells me to leave it alone. Anyway. I almost never use the left ripcord, so it doesn't matter. By the way, we have a "military" closing loop, which lowers the pull force so much that they can use the system for up to 1,000 lb. all-up bundle jumps.

Because of its position, down low behind your back, the left hand Sigma ripcord seems harder to pull. But, if you put a scale on it, you would find that the force necessary to pull it, is exactly the same, or slightly less, than the right side handle. After all, you are pulling the same pin, through a slightly shorter housing. It feels harder, however, because you can only generate about 1/4 of the force with your left arm behind your back, than you can with your right hand in front of you. It is also harder to pull the ball straight off the housing from the behind-your-back position, so it takes some practice to get it right. I have toyed with the idea of bringing the left hand ripcord up front into the same relative position as the right ripcord, but everyone tells me to leave it alone. Anyway. I almost never use the left ripcord, so it doesn't matter. By the way, we have a "military" closing loop, which lowers the pull force so much that they can use the system for up to 1,000 lb. all-up bundle jumps.

Bill,

I've always conveyed a theory that the left side pull has to rotate the pin before it extracts which I feel has possibly caught up on the cypres loop cover, thus preventing it from rotating and being pulled. Any truth to this? Is this why the newer Sigmas have shorter straight pins?

Cheers,
Travis

I thought that was the case. Is this something that has been documented of happening in the past, or simply a preventative measure? I know of an instance of someone having a hard pull on the left side and I thought that might be why.

It is preventive. Failure-of-drogue-to-release malfunctions are extremely rare on Sigmas. They are unheard of, if you actually pull the handle. And as you already know, the Sigma also makes an out-of-sequence deployment a virtual impossibility.

Twisted ripcords, thick pack job-all the material is in the center, twisted-shortenedclosing loop, and the two ripcords pinched between the straight pin and the groumet. All these combined together can significantly increase the pull force.
I've been there I done it. Now I pack for my self, never happaned again.
-Laszlo-