jarrodh

Beginner that has a question.

This question reminds me of an incident a few years back.
Tandem instructors were napping during the ride to altitude. The fuel-injected engine in our Cessna 205 missed a beat and all the pilot heard was the "click, click, click" of tandem students being hooked up!
Hah!
Hah!
Hooking up was not even a conscious effort on my part. I woke up to an unusual situation and automatically started preparing to exit with my student.

I don't plan on being behind any tandems on a Cessna...ever, and I think most DZs make tandems exit last anyway for many reasons one of which is so they don't trap other jumpers in a plane during an emergency.

Right, then do not jump at our DZ :S

Usually tandems get out at 9k so all 12k jumpers are sitting behind them until then. If the tandems go to the same altitude as the rest, any AFF/wingsuiters are still behind them.

When they say Cessna, they do not mean Caravans ..
Johan.
I am. I think.

I don't plan on being behind any tandems on a Cessna...ever, and I think most DZs make tandems exit last anyway for many reasons one of which is so they don't trap other jumpers in a plane during an emergency.

Usually tandems get out at 9k so all 12k jumpers are sitting behind them until then. If the tandems go to the same altitude as the rest, any AFF/wingsuiters are still behind them.

I realise that but I still think it was a fairly stupid post :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Why do you put out AFF behind tandems? As an AFF-I and a TI, I'd much rather the AFFs exit first.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I don’t know what Relative Work Shop wants’ their tandem instructors to do but Strong spells it out pretty clearly.

Below 1K land with the airplane.
Between 1 and 3K exit reserve
Between 3 and 5K exit main, throw drogue, release drogue once clear of aircraft, the instructor does have an option to this, pull both drogue release handles before exit then exit and throw the drogue.
Above 5K use normal drogue and main deployment

As for the hook up; both shoulder connections minimum are the preferred by any instructor but if the situation dictates it one shoulder connections will work
Memento Mori

I realise that but I still think it was a fairly stupid post :P

At my DZ Tandems always exit last out of the 182. Our plane only goes to about 10.5-11 thousand and we all get out at the same height. I was taught not to and still do not plan on being behind any Tandems on a Cessna...ever. The most safe situation concerning exit order puts Tandems out last. I dont find any stupidity in that.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

Why do you put out AFF behind tandems? As an AFF-I and a TI, I'd much rather the AFFs exit first.

Blues,
Dave

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Agreed!

The last time I made the mistake of allowing a junior freefaller to exit after me (doing a tandem), he opened waaaay too close to us.
The DZO had harsh words with me after that. He also had harsh words with the coach - who jumped with the junior jumper.

The real issue is not what anyone prefers. We'd all like to be first out . . .

The problem is that Tandem, AFF, and up-jumpers all have some possibility of opening high.

Its separation (time in the door) that counts.

I really think we should rip out the green lights in cabin class A/C and toss them out the door. Then we should issue "Spotting" certifications and no load goes up without some one so rated.

In too many places it's total anarchy with every monkey on-board screaming go . . .

Gee, when we jumped rounds from big airplanes that almost never happened. To have it happen now with all of us wearing double square rigs is just ridiculous.

NickD :)BASE 194

As for the hook up; both shoulder connections minimum are the preferred by any instructor but if the situation dictates it one shoulder connections will work

one of those shoulder clips will hold a 200 lb person on it during opening shock? wow.

MB 3528, RB 1182

one of those shoulder clips will hold a 200 lb person on it during opening shock? wow.

I am not sure about the other manufacturers but in the Strong tandem course we were taught the top hooks are rated for 5000 lbs each and the lower (lateral) were rated for 2500 lbs each. One of those will easily tow a car. Maintaining a desirable body position would be "interesting" but you are now out of the aircraft emergency. If these numbers are not correct I am sure you tandem guys will correct me.:)
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

The real issue is not what anyone prefers. We'd all like to be first out . . .

The problem is that Tandem, AFF, and up-jumpers all have some possibility of opening high.

What Rob and I were saying is that we'd rather be *last* out while doing tandems. I'd much rather be working as a TI while looking down for a prematurely opened AFF than working as an AFF-I while looking down for a prematurely opened tandem. Additionally, getting home from a long spot is a task better suited for a TI than an AFF-I.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)