adietkin

TI jump without rsl (on tandam racer)

I really like RSLs, but am suspicious of the double-sided RSLs installed on Racers.
Twenty plus years ago, when Canadian DZs started converting to piggyback containers for students, there were a couple of cases of students cutting away, but having their double-sided RSLs hang up on the back of their helmets.

Ergo, I always use the RSL when jumping Strong and RWS tandems as well as my Talon 2.
The only reason that my Vector 2 does not have an RSL is that it is too expensive to retrofit.

Is it the double sided feature that Roy doesn't like or is it RSLs in general?

I am not sure of the legal ramifications of such a move, I think jump shack might have something to say about it. however the rsl system is there if ever a tandem master has a right hand incapacitated or can not for any other reason pull the reserve handle!

To me it sounds like a panic response to an incident this weekend at sky kef were a tandem master had two canopies out, since the rest of the info I have is rumor I will refrain from further comment on that.

However removing the RSL or tampering with the safety features bad bad bad!

What if the reserve handle cannot be pulled? What will the tandem master do then?

No rsl safety system to back you up?
safety enjoyment learning, sel the sport. dont kill it.

If you remember the rigs that Jim had in Beiseker, his racer's had one sided RSLs.
While not approved by Jumpshack AFAIK, I don't think they are forbidden
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

While not approved by Jumpshack AFAIK, I don't think they are forbidden

If they are not specifically approved by the manufacturer then they are forbidden since they are part of the reserve deployment system AFAIK.
This is similar to Talon's beef with Vigil; you need approval to fuck with a TSOd part.

That's only if the Racer RSL is a TSO'd componant.

The Racer RSL is not TSO'd. It does not have a serial number and it is considered an accessory and not a system.

The Racer Tandem also does not require an RSL. It ultimately lands on the TIs shoulders on whether or not they will jump it as they are responsible.

Finally, you're in Canada what do you care:P

Just kidding, I know you guys like TSOs, hence all the lovely new Sidewinders. I'm just busting your ass
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

According to Ray Ferrel (FAA DPRE, long-time manager of Sky Dance and before that manager of GQ Security's factory) you can attach both sides of a Racer RSL to one riser, converting it to a single-sided RSL.
Remember that - back in the early 1990s - Ray held Supplementary Type Certificates to retrofit RSLs to most TSOed containers. Ray's RSL-retrofit business peaked about the time Cypres was introduced.

For example, he retrofitted my two-pin Mirage in 1993.

Cypres did not become fashionable in Southern California until 1994 or 1995.

I can’t find anything to the contrary in the BSRs or FAA so a rig owner does have the choice whether the RSL is install or not. I was under the impression that the rig had to be RSL equipped but it was the user choice to make the final connection.

Personally I think that every DZ should have the RSL installed on every rig they own that is provided for their instructors to use. However it is then up to the individual instructor to decide whether or not the RSL is connected to the risers.
Memento Mori