skydiverek

Lazy drogue throw VIDEO - scary!

I'll reiterate this from my earlier post, Tandem Instructors must throw the drogue as strongly as they can LATERALLY, not behind them like they do on a sport PC.

I know what you mean here and I agree, but... Just for any of you lowtimers reading this, you need to throw the pilot chute LATERALLY on your sport rig too. There is a big burble behind/above all objects in freefall that would love to hang on to your lazy throw or even tie the bridle somewhere you really don't want it. Tandems do have a bigger burble and more fabric to throw but the rules are the same.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

I’m not saying that I disagree with your assessment. What I’m saying is; it’s easy to sit back and inspect each frame for deficiencies. However this is something as TM and Instructors we should all do to learn from errors made by both us and others. I’ve shot tandem videos and have seen a lot of things fortunately all have ended well. Loose harness, no goggles, very poor body position, spins, flips and even some poor swoop tandem landings. Being a TM myself, I have learned from all of these episodes of what not to do and how easy it is to get in a bad situation fast if you’re not on your toes. I’ve seen some very capable and very experience TM’s get surprised once they exit including me. You can’t always take a video at face value. There are some really great TM’s with videos stuck back that they learned something from but had rather not be shown.