DrTWT

Tandem-only progression???

It's not a good I dea to just throw a student out of the airplane by themselves after just a few tandems.

The Airforce Academy used to just throw them out solo on the first jump. It worked well and they have a pretty good safety record.

I don't recall if they do that anymore, but I'll ask next week.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

It's not a good I dea to just throw a student out of the airplane by themselves after just a few tandems.

The Airforce Academy used to just throw them out solo on the first jump. It worked well and they have a pretty good safety record.

I don't recall if they do that anymore, but I'll ask next week.

Last I heard, they were still doing this. The way I heard it, they have a higher than normal number of AAD fires, but an otherwise good safety record (injury/fatality wise).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Last I heard, they were still doing this. The way I heard it, they have a higher than normal number of AAD fires, but an otherwise good safety record (injury/fatality wise).

If I remember, they have AOD's on the main and AAD's on the reserve.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

If I remember, they have AOD's on the main and AAD's on the reserve.

Off-topic side-note: I thought AADs were the same thing as AODs, but that the word "activation" replaced the word "opening" because of liability concerns (manufacturers didn't want to imply the device would "open" the parachute). Your distinction above suggests there's a difference between the two and I'm curious what it is...puller versus cutter?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Off-topic side-note: I thought AADs were the same thing as AODs, but that the word "activation" replaced the word "opening"

Same thing.

Your distinction above suggests there's a difference between the two and I'm curious what it is...puller versus cutter?

Same thing, just different name. I seem to remember an AAD on the Main is called an AOD. It might be because it is spring loaded, the user can reset it, due to it being on the main, or I could just be wrong. :P