skyfreek

tandem cross over training

The rule of thumb is a hundred.

We require at least this many, because the handles are not the same, the systems fly and work differently, and you need to be a bit more comfortable with the entire tandem process before you start juming multiple types of rigs..

Ralph

i was wondering how many tandems i need to have under my belt to cross over from strong to vector....

RWS requires 25 jumps on Strong systems to cross over to Vectors/Sigmas. I just went through the crossover, and other than not needing to do as many jumps, it's pretty much the complete course.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

You can cross-train with less than 25 jumps, but you will have to do the complete course.
I also want to warn you against jumping two different tandem rigs during the same day.
I did that during my ill-spent youth, but hate to admit how many times I roared through 5,000 feet fumbling for a handle on the lower left corner of a Strong rig! Doubly scary since that was long before Cypres was invented!

Just because I did dumb stuff in my youth is no excuse for you to follow my bad example.

Well here goes and OLD thread revival.... not sure if the requirements have changed or what but I have over a hundred jumps on Strong systems now and am looking to change over to Sigma.

I can also relate to the handle fumbling situation on the Strong system. That's not to say I don't think it's a solid system but it seems like the handle placement on the Sigma makes more sense. The mandatory handle checks for all TI's is a good idea in my opinion.

So I guess I just have to find a Tandem IE rated for Sigma systems and do the course, whatever it entails.

...Don't Get Elimated!!

When I crossed-over from Strong to Sigma, I only had to do 2 jumps. My first Sigma jump was solo and my second Sigma jump was with an experienced jumper (more than 100 jumps) strapped to my chest.
I also had to write the Sigma test and submit a stack of paperwork (other ratings, CSPA membership, medical, logbooks, etc.).

Mind you, by that time I had more than 4,000 jumps on Vector 1, Vector 2, Racer and Strong and I was a Strong Tandem Examiner.