Allballs

Is the AFF rating too easy?

With all due respect, I 100% disagree with you.

I think that you misunderstood what I wrote. I have no problem with 'background' checks on someone's experience, but it has to be with the person's permission. We do this for bigways all the time, but it is with the person's consent, usually they provide the references too.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Let's look at this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SECLPmkF3I

I see a few things that don't look right, this is someone elses tandem video, but look at the aff that goes just before the tandem. the students rig was not properly gear checked, look at the riser cover and the yellow steering toggle sticking out, then the instructor does not really have a good control over the student by not keeping his grip on the student, and he funnles the jump just as they go out of site. i also thought the aff instructor was supposed to check for clouds and spot

I was going to say the following:

- use of copyrighted music probably without license
- tandem student's hair
- lots of negative comments to the student
- student didn't know their instructor
- AFF student's right riser cover undone
- unhooked lowers on tandem

most of which are a joke ;)

I was going to say the following:

- use of copyrighted music probably without license
- tandem student's hair
- lots of negative comments to the student
- student didn't know their instructor
- AFF student's right riser cover undone
- unhooked lowers on tandem

most of which are a joke ;)

What are you serious about then? (in the review of the video)

It just shows in that video that proffesionalism and ability where not how the rating was "earned".

I can't help but to think of how long it took that guy to get righted from that funnel. That may have burnt up some altitude that could have been used for valuable student training. And what did happen to the gear check? That instructor had a lot of opportunity to catch that riser cover and toggle, I mean it was right there smiling and waving at him. geez!
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

What are you serious about then? (in the review of the video)

It just shows in that video that proffesionalism and ability where not how the rating was "earned".

Well, I think the riser cover is problematic, otherwise, I wonder if anyone here has never had an exit go bad with a student? And copyright issues are a real problem, ask DSE.

Just because the instructor missed the riser cover & then had some issues on exit doesn't make them a poster child for how bad the AFF rating has become. It's easy to watch one video and extrapolate but that doesn't really seem fair to me.

The unhooked lowers on the tandem is a current discussion I believe so I'll leave that alone as I have NFI. As far as not meeting the tandem student, I doubt everyone gets a nice intro at a busy DZ before their tandem. The student didn't seem to have an issue with the camera person's jokes so who cares. The DZ might, the whole professionalism thing but it depends on the culture.

Then again, what do I know. I was tired & (am still) sick (and had a couple of Jamesons in me :P) so feeling a little punchy. My apologies.

Hi Kip,
You know my name. It’s Scott Mitten. We’re friends. I don’t always agree with you or appreciate everything you say or do. You make me angry as hell but I’d certainly help you up if you were knocked down. I’m not the person who responded to your comments about a DZ in IN. I’m pretty certain Kim didn’t either. I am the guy you are referring to in your comment, but I’m not the guy who replied as a result. You see, even here I don’t mind divulging my name. You see my username. I don’t have any others and I don’t think I’ve ever posted here. If I have it’s been a few years. Folks told me about this thread and I resisted reading it until today. Unfortunately I read every thread from beginning to end. I must admit work was boring (lucrative) but boring none the less. It has twisted and turned and I’m still not certain there is a problem. I’m ignorant I suppose, that’s ok. Ignorant is not a bad word when used in context and correctly. I digress. Anyway, we spoke that evening on the drop zone and came to seemingly agreeable conversation. I’m sorry people use this medium to jab at each other even when it’s you and I’m not agreeing with you. It cheapens you and the things you want to accomplish. You’ve been on many great DZ’s. Hell I’ve jumped with you strapped to my chest in Raeford and Start Skydiving both. I trusted you to take my son on an AFF in Tecumseh when he was having trouble maintaining a heading. That’s good stuff. I don’t know why there is ugliness here. Your knowledge is very good, your skills are very good. People like to say they earned a rating from Kip Lohmiller. I have. I’ve earned a couple ratings with you as the I/E. One from Jim Moore, and one from Bram Clemmens. I liked all of the I/E’s Why did I use who I used when I used them? Location and proximity. You were in Raeford when I tried my hand at Vector/Sigma tandems, you were near when I needed a static line re-currency, Jim Moore was near by when I needed a Strong TI rating, and Bram was near by for an AFFI course. Who’s better?........me! I’m better for experiencing the difference in teaching styles, and meeting new people. I have a few more friends now and more diverse stories. Anyway, I’m rambling again. I did not (until now) reply to your post. I read Airage or airage2 whatevers post, I can’t argue with his comments. I don’t know who it is. I can guess. I know this for certain, you and I were there. I’m not particularly happy about how blogs or strings can shape information. But …..it happens.
I didn’t write that. You took the liberty to tell Kim I did. You’re wrong, I would have listed my name.
Please tell Linda Robin and I said hello.

Sincerely-
Your friend (still)
Scott Mitten
All cats die. Socrates is dead. Socrates was a cat.

Let's look at this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SECLPmkF3I

I see a few things that don't look right, this is someone elses tandem video, but look at the aff that goes just before the tandem. the students rig was not properly gear checked, look at the riser cover and the yellow steering toggle sticking out, then the instructor does not really have a good control over the student by not keeping his grip on the student, and he funnles the jump just as they go out of site. i also thought the aff instructor was supposed to check for clouds and spot

After further review of that video, I have come to the conclusion that the AFF Instructor in that video is Jeff Fincher. One easy way to tell is the name "Cletus" on his helmet. He's the only one I have seen that has that. And when it shows the load boarding the aircraft, just for a split second, The person doing the video scans over and gets Fincher in the video wearing the same jumpsuit and has that ski-mask on his head. Where's his student at that point? Looks like about 30 ft. behind him in the blue jumpsuit. Almost looks like he intended of doing all of his teaching after the jump.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

After further review of that video, I have come to the conclusion that the AFF Instructor in that video is Jeff Fincher. One easy way to tell is the name "Cletus" on his helmet. He's the only one I have seen that has that. And when it shows the load boarding the aircraft, just for a split second, The person doing the video scans over and gets Fincher in the video wearing the same jumpsuit and has that ski-mask on his head. Where's his student at that point? Looks like about 30 ft. behind him in the blue jumpsuit.

Is this what you were referring to? Fincher's at the far left.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Exactly

Are there any other videos out there showing Fincher doing questionable AFF jumps? I'm sure many instructors have had at least one bad AFF jump, hell, AFF students can be unpredictable at best. If it was just one time, that's understandable.

If there's a pattern.... well then there's a problem, but it's not for me to decide....
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Exactly

A little over exaggerated on the 30 feet. His student is like 5 feet from him. Not saying everything else is excusable but come on lets not have a lynching on DZ.com. The old saying Is believe half of what you see and nothing on what you hear. The video only shows part of a story guys.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

FWIW, a "conditional AFF rating" is for someone who is only allowed to jump reserve side.

Wow maybe the dumbest thing I have heard. What if the pair flips and now the "conditional only reserve side" guy is on the main side?

It is not like the AFF course is difficult.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334