teason

What's the biggest tandem you've done

Last month I took a monster. He was 6'10" and 250lbs. I looked like a monkey riding a giraffe!

At first I thought he would be too big but the month before I took a guy who was 6'7" and 130 lbs. (yes he was VERY skinny)

I found that all I had to do was treat him like any other tandem and it was fine. I think alot of it is mental, If you think they're too big, they are. I left the plane relaxed, had a great skydive and after I felt good about how far I'd come since my first Tandem student! (I don't know if I would've taken him before this season)
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

I never really thought of size and weight of my Tandem student. I thought the same as you, just another tandem:S. I am not an old timer, I started last year and am still learning today. I am guessing that around my 20-25th tandem was my biggest student to date. I was 5'10" and 175 (185 lbs. now ... life is good). This Airforce MP (burlington, VT) was 6'8" and 275lbs. I kinda had an idea that it would be a challenge, but I was not nervous .... until The pilot (and TM) who was flying (can't remember if it was the C182 or C206)reached over to open the door and looked down at my crouch and said "boy you have big ones today!".

That got me thinking and a wee bit nervous. The skydive went really well. However, did have to ask him to put me down after we landed!!:$

Would I do it again? hard to say..... probably not. Was this a case of to stupid to know any better ..... hmmmm...or just plain "what were you thinking" .Take your pick! :D

Kent

PS: Wish I had a pic. Would be nice to get paid by the pound. :P
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

Biggest Male 6'9" 275
Biggest Female 6'4" 252

Freefall was great for both. The males landing was a pretty fast surf then a hard plant on our asses. The females landing was a smooth surf to a nice stand up.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I've noticed that the tall students seem to have above average physical awareness in general.

That may come from years of banging thier heads:P
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Mine was 6'7", 250. And I'm the short stocky type TM, too (5'10", 220), so that was one FAST skydive.
The landing was a bit brisk (a low-wind day at Skydive Monterey Bay, with the sand-pit of a landing area), but no bruises or tweaks. :)
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

I used to not mind doing the big ones so much. Then I had a guy 265 lbs pass out on me. For me It takes everyhing I've got to flare an EZ 384 with that much weight. Combine that with him being limp in the harness made for an unsafe situation. I pulled out the landing pretty well and there were no injuries. I don't like to risk injuring my passengers like that so my max is 230 now.

Just about where everyone else is. I stick to 225 now. I've seen a tandem reserve blow up, and I have to tell you, they can. On very large tandems that arch, compact people, I go at least 145 to 150mph, its a fact, camera people with skytronics and lots of weight and frustration will vouge for this. At 150, release the drog and collapse it on a sigma, then take a passenger into a stand position while waiting for the snivel, let alone the chance of a bag lock, your gonna fucken scream, then if you have a bag lock, have to cutaway, your are a missile, thats the bottom line, that reserve is not tso'd for these parameters, and possibly will not handle this. Let alone if you side load it on un unstable reserve deployment, all bets are of. I've been on streamers with passengers 230bs, your a rocket. You need to sit back and really think about the risk, and then ask yourself does this person really understand this risk, and then am I willing to stand up in court and defend this decision, sorry to be the party pooper, but its gotta be said, You will too after you've seen it go wrong, if you don't understand sideloading, you better,
Those stuck in maya, seek to be seen.

Our TMs get paid additional $1 for every pound over 220 pounds. I saw one little TM make almost $100 on a tandem jump

Man, I wish our DZ had that. I'd be a rich f-er by now.[:/] Biggest I took was 6'7", and he said 270, but it looked like a little more. All went well, though, but we sure punched a hole in the sky.:D

I have carried several guys in the 6'6" or 6'8" tall.

My heaviest was a retired rugby player who said that he weighted 280 pounds. He was maybe 6'3" tall and had a bit of a beer gut. The deciding factor was the size of his thighs. I have climbed trees with smaller trunks that were smaller than his thighs!

Now that I have that ego boost, I rarely take students weighing more than 240.
Oh! And if Hemet had paid a dollar per pound over 2??, I would be a wealthy man by now!

I've jumped with a couple 280 or 285 lbs guys, out of the DZ's C-182 - thankfully it is a widebody version. Yes the novelty does wear off! Definitely not the thing to do until one gets some experience as a tandem instructor. At least IF they don't fight you, big students are easy in freefall -- "they know which way gravity is". (As opposed to the light girls who tend slide around under you.)

Biggest girl was 265 lbs, and quite tall so she wasn't totally round.

All these jumps were still within the gear limits for lighter instructors like myself, 6'1" and 150 lbs, using the Sigma rig certified to 500 lbs & 180 kts EAS.

The landings under Sigma 370's or 395's were normal enough but one does want to have good cooperation from the passenger.

One scare on a jump with one of those big guys was finding a 3-ring flipped-through after opening. And no, I'm sure it wasn't flipped through before hooking up. The cutaway cable was jammed slightly into the grommet by the force on the white loop. I nervously figured if things had held during opening, it would be OK to land it. The riser rings were dented from the opening so the riser was retired after that. My best guess is that at the start of opening shock, which tends to be less smooth at high weights, one riser 'whipped' and unloaded momentarily, flipping the ring. Surely a very rare event, but having a large passenger makes any problem worse.

Our TMs get paid additional $1 for every pound over 220 pounds. I saw one little TM make almost $100 on a tandem jump

$30 TM fee
$30 Rig fee (his own)
$10 packing
#28 (Dude was 248#s)

Now I can see that if you use your own rig it could age the system, and it is harder work for the TI, thus money well earned...

But I guess I have a fundamental problem with this...

It encourages people to push their comfort zone for money.

In a perfect world, everyone would say, "I will not take anyone that is over this size" and stick with it...

But then a slow day comes, the rent bill is due, the brakes on the car need to be done, and this really big person walks in and wants to do a tandem... You are next on the rotation...

Next thing you know, the, "I have done someone a few pounds lighter" kicks in the back of your mind, and you are now jumping with the big guy setting a new baseline to break when the next bigger person walks in...

I am not saying you, or anyone else, suffers from poor will power or accusing anyone of anything... But, I could see money making a poor decision, especially when someone is new to instructing...

Travis-

You raise several good points.

I get paid that 1$/lb heavy fee where I'm at now. I also get to use my tandem rig 90% of the jumps I do. Many of our other tandem I's are smart enough to realize that the extra $$$ ain't worth the extra weighted students. Me...not that smart.
However the heavy fees do help offset the extra wear and tear on the rig. The main on my rig needs a lot of upkeep and repairs. Luckily for me I don't charge myself much for repairs. But there is a HUGE difference on the wear and tear on my rig and the rigs that don't regularly get used for the heavys. So its six in one and a half dozen in the other as to wether to take the biguns or not from that stand point.

As for pushing the comfort level, there have been days where the wind is 18-22 with an Otter and I'm doing 275+ all day long. Other days the density altitude is way high with no winds and I'm reluctant to take anyone over 200lbs.

Like I said, you raise very good points. We all have gone through those thought processes that you have iterated here. The important thing is to realize where your limits really are and then to stick within them.

"Here, hold my beer....watch this!"

Aaron
“God Damn Mountain Dew MotherFuckers!”

I've done 6'8" 230lbs out of a C-206P(I could have used a can opener and a shoe horn). I also pulled a 7'1" 225lb guy out of a C-208(this one was easy) doing the sit and pivot. Both guys did great in free fall. The landings looked hilarious(I'm 5'11") with me standing straight up behind them squating down. The 206 exit was a work out for both of us I'm sure. I had the guy put both feet over the trailing edge of the step(at least I told him to do so,I couldnt see) and then rocked out toward the tail. When we landed he did not have any skinned up shins and both cows,I mean shoes were still on his feet. I took a 18 year old kid 6'7"190lbs out of a DC3 that was a nightmare. Such a huge plane with such a small door(I love DC3's) and this guy was trying to hang on to everything. I would say "are you ready to skydive or not" and he would say "hell ya". I would peel his hands off the door jam and he would try to stand straight up. I would get him sqauted down and he would grab the door jam again. Meanwhile the planes flying along at about 110MPH or better and Oh yeah! my video guys hangin outside in the propblast. I finally get him out the door and he pulls a jack knive. I pull a barrel roll off and get the drogue out nice and clean,look down,look at my video and wave off and pull at 10K. The DZ is along ways away. It's a long canopy ride and the kid starts getting sick at about 4K. WE all make it back to the DZ OK,but I'm covered with taco time chunks(this kid was like a rainbird sprinkler) and he's passed out. I hook his legs from behind with my feet and swing his legs out and sit down. As I am unhooking him he regains consciousness and pukes on my left foot. I look back on that one as one of my favorite tandems, for pure comic relief. I'm covered in puke,his whole family is watching him puke on my foot,his dad is howling with laughter and his mom is crying. It was awesome.

I wish they could get a tandem rig built that would handle more poundage. I think it would be alot more fair to the smaller instructors and I'm sure much easier for the larger instructors to take all the heavy passengers. I would gladly take a 300 pounder if the rig could take it,especialy if you could get more $ for doing it.

$30 TM fee
$30 Rig fee (his own)
$10 packing
#28 (Dude was 248#s)

Now I can see that if you use your own rig it could age the system, and it is harder work for the TI, thus money well earned...

But I guess I have a fundamental problem with this...

It encourages people to push their comfort zone for money.

In a perfect world, everyone would say, "I will not take anyone that is over this size" and stick with it...

But then a slow day comes, the rent bill is due, the brakes on the car need to be done, and this really big person walks in and wants to do a tandem... You are next on the rotation...

It is all about knowing your limits and sticking to them. To follow your same reasoning, the same guy with all the bills pressing his finance would most likely still take the tandem over his limits whether he was paid extra or not.

As for the example I told about, the TM weighs about 140 pounds. He can take the guys I cant't. I weigh 225#s.

steveOrino

It is all about knowing your limits and sticking to them. To follow your same reasoning, the same guy with all the bills pressing his finance would most likely still take the tandem over his limits whether he was paid extra or not.

No, because assuming there were more customers in the rotation, and there was someone who could do the "United 747 Heavy coming in for landing" better, they could trade with no financial repercussions if there is no extra money involved... But if this heavy guy was the only customer left for the day, or no one was willing to trade, then you have a valid point...

PS: Wish I had a pic. Would be nice to get paid by the pound. :P

$30 TM fee
$30 Rig fee (his own)
$10 packing
#28 (Dude was 248#s)

At the two DZ's I've done most of my tandems at, I've gotten $1/lb over 185 (now 190) and $2/lb over 200. My biggest tandem to date was probably a 6'4", 245 lb guy. He happened to also be gay, and grabbed my ass from canopy opening till landing... and with the $90 "fat fee" I was getting, I didn't mind. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Not have money invovled.

A DZO asked me if I could take a passenger over their limit (220lbs) I said how much and the person was 240, OK I can handle that (I have had bigger and the system is still in limits plus a good wind).
The DZO at the end of the day said they don't pay extra for heavy students (but they did charge!).

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!