carpenter

Sidespin a good spin

Being a TI, I beleive that there is much to learn. One of those; being on your side in a spin. The biggest lie is that you should "arch" out the situation. Relax, and it should eventually belly out, if not for a second or two. Being out of control is learning. if you are constantly feeling in control, get out of control, feel what it's like to be completely out of control. Then relax, you have more time than you think. Don't take it into the dirt, but relax.

It would be great if you would fill out your profile. I am not sure what tandem training course you went through but I know part of the Strong tandem course is a video that goes over how side spins start and how to correct them. A side spin is created by the student dearching and the instructor arching(this creates 4 blades of a propeller) as the pair starts spinning faster the space between the instructors body and the student increases. The video is very clear that once in a side spin the best way out is to wrap your arms and legs around the student (this will eliminates the blades in the propeller. The video also suggest prior to getting your rating you put yourself in a side spin and get use to getting out.
Kirk

And doesn't Bill say word to the effect of; Staying in control at all times? Stay ahead of the Student in the dive and avoid getting out of control?

I agree with you that this would be an easier discussion is I knew the original posters back ground and then could understand where they are coming from.

Every jump is a learning experience. But to purposely get "out of control" to practice getting in control is just as bad an idea as the lat issue in the other thread (IMO).
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I hope you do not mean with a student attached to you? Attempt to go unstable,,,,maybe with a examiner or qualified skydiver, but do not attempt to learn at the expense of the students safety, who I believe would decline if he knew what were going on. unless I misunderstood. If so elaborate a bit?

I hope you do not mean with a student attached to you? Attempt to go unstable

In the Strong video, Bill Morrissey demonstrates getting into a side spin as a solo jumper and subsequent recovery techniques. If I recall correctly, he recommends the practice as a solo endeavour so as to learn the sensation of entry into the sidespin.
I qualify my statement in that I am not a tandem instructor (the FAA did not like the plate in my neck :P)

Foggy

I qualify my statement in that I am not a tandem instructor (the FAA did not like the plate in my neck )

Is that something to disqualify you for Class III medical?

https://www.tdcparole.com

Kirk, It's justin From SDO. I didn't mean to sound incompetent, But I'm over in Guam, and we fly a navajo. It has a shitty door. and flies like a cesna. Anyway, I have tried various exits from this plane, and none works better than a gainer. I got in my first sidespin exiting this airplane, it aint no otter, or caravan exit. You just huck yourself out. So being in a weird situiation, you just have to improvise. Thats all I'm saying. Relax and things usually turn out good.[:)

Relax and things usually turn out good.[:)

Hi Justin, I totally agree with that statement. Hell, with the amount of talent and experience you have, I am sure you can handle anything toss at you. Knowing now who you are and your experience and rereading your original post it makes a whole lot more sense and I really see the point you were trying to make. Hope Guam is treating you great.
Kirk

I qualify my statement in that I am not a tandem instructor (the FAA did not like the plate in my neck )

Is that something to disqualify you for Class III medical?

Long story short....yes