Para5-0

Heaviest AFF Student.

After several weeks of planning and actually ordering and building a rig. We managed to graduate a 270Lb. AFF Student. Many safety factors came into play and it took some careful planning. the wing loads on main and reserve were all within student limits. Other factors were the students athletic ability, wind tunnel time, prior static line jumps, and the overall desire to complete the program and become a skydiver.
Further- the student did exceptional and posed no problems suring the program..
Q) Looking for Other larger AFF graduate stories for future refernce.

Can you elaborate on the general body type of the individual? Muscular and athletic vs overweight...

I am one of the larger/taller guys at the DZ - and hence I have been getting some of the larger students... When their biceps are bigger than my leg, I know "helping them" do anything is going to be impossible if they choose to have a tug of war contest with me on the practice pulls, etc... ;) Even then, I think 235 - 6 foot 5 inches, was my max student thus far - but the very short plump 180 pound girl was the fastest...

What did you learn?

WooHOO!!! Another and yet bigger than me Anvil Brother in the neighborhood. So, will you share with us your rig setup? We've just been using HALO rigs, MC4's etc.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Many years ago I saw Lake Wales had a English group in town and they had a near 300 pounder using the RWS Tandem converted to solo (It is in the Vector II Tandem Manual).

The two AFF-I's had on nylon RW suits weight belts and still bowed in half! But they did it all well and the gent graduated by the time we left a month later.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I DIDN'T GET VERY INVOLVED IN THE ACTUAL CONSTRUCTION (MASTER RIGGER DID THE WORK) BUT, THE HARNESS WAS A CAT D, THE MAIN AND RESERVE WERE 288. OF COURSE AAD AND RSL. THE STUDENT WAS MUSCULAR AND INTO MARTIAL ARTS, ATHLETIC BACKGROUND...THANKS
CONSEQUENTLY MOSTLY STANDUP LANDINGS WITHOUT INCIDENT.
WE DID THINK ABOUT ALTERING A TANDEM RIG ALSO...

My heftiest PFF graduate was a woman 5'6" tall and 230 pounds.To say that she fell fast was an under statement!
That was the only time - in my skydiving career - that I have ever worn a weight-belt, ten pounds worth.

The good news was that she had lost 70 pounds over the winter. Her only physical limitation was a poorly-healed ankle fracture from the year before.

Fortunately, she was really bright - rocket scientist bright - an mastered all the tasks for a Canadian Solo Certificate in a dozen or so jumps (average).