MikeFB2764

Good Idea? Bad Idea?

I remember one time when I was gearing up a student and the side connector broke, I just thought for a moment about what could happen if it broke when we left the plane. Amazing how we can get into a mindset that nothing out of the ordinary will go wrong on a tandem. I check them 3-4 times after we're hooked together, before we move to the door, cause it can happen, rare as hell, but can, and I and the tandem are worth it. Just lettin you know,
Those stuck in maya, seek to be seen.

so what happened to this guy? is he still doing tandems? did he ask uspa whats going on?

Strong yanked his rating. USPA yanked his ratings and membership. Not doing tandems anymore.

Don't know if he appealed to USPA or Strong yet. Some people are working on getting petitions signed for that.

Some people are working on getting petitions signed for that

If there is anyone organizing this petition, my membership with USPA is current and I am willing to sign it. Please PM me any details I may need to support Jacko.

Thank you,

Jason Upchurch

Thank you Mark,

I emailed Lisa. Whether you want to adopt Jacko and feed him every day or if you think he is an ass.... ask yourself if the punishment fits. If you feel it is in any way a little harsh based on past enforcements PLEASE show your support by following Mark's guidance.

Thanks again Mark,

Jason Upchurch

based on past enforcements PLEASE show your support by following Mark's guidance.

What makes you think nothing is still going to happen to the others? It's not too late to discipline the other 2.

What is really bizarre about the others is WHY would you want to do Tandems ever again, after losing a passenger.

Jacko should probably get his AFF and USPA membership back, but not his Tandem rating.

J
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Obviosly you are not a TM or you would know why, even after such a tragedy, they would want to take up more students. Of course some TM's don't do it for the same reasons I and other very dedicated TM's do: Because we love the sport and want to train and bring more people into our passion.
Jacko must love doing it to have so many student jumps. I would like to see him be able to take both AFF and Tandem students again. While I do not know him personally his videos show he has the talent and the knowledge it takes to teach and train and be safe and if he convinces the powers that be that he will comform to the industry standards then he should be allowed to take students.

Yea I have a problem with the management of this particular dz but I want all instructors who can meet the requirements and follow the rules to be able to do what we love. Take students on safe and fun jumps.

If petitions will help I will sign one to let the BOD know my support for what I feel is right.

lt
yo
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

the petition asks for all his ratings back - i do think that he should requalify for tandems with an examiner but uspa went to far with the punishment - i also think the video people and s&ta's at the dz that are tandem rated should requalify to keep their ti rating since they let it go on in front of them and said it was safe.

the petition asks for all his ratings back

AFF...Fine, but I am not sure about Tandem. And that would keep me from signing any petition.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

:( I agree that they went too far. This is total BS any skydiver knows that every DZ has s*#t happen that's not so safe but where are the USPA on that stuff. But the fact that some jackoffs can loosly fit TM harness's and have students fall to their DEATH and still have a RATING is just amazing. Do these people have something against the english??? Videos of idiots throwing drogues in a state of panic and having bridal hanging out everywhere or swiping across a students face just seems to get the old awww that was close. What about some of the TM instructors that can't land or fly a damn canopy. YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK you can't just pull one guys ratings and slip back under the rug you people don't regulate S*#T it's harder to become a US postal worker than to become an instructor in this country and the mail man isn't responsible for anyones god damn LIFE... >:(>:(>:(
Share Everything !!!

this is why i think when something bad is seen or done there should be something set up to retrain the instructors. examiners should be able to police the instructors (TI or AFF) even the best istructor will have a close call or 2 or become complacent - we need something set up to retrain. say if something doesn't look right on video uspa or the rig manufacturer can send in an examiner and take the instructor for a coulple jumps and correct the situation before it becomes a problem and pass the expense on to the dz or the ti. after a cople times of this the dzo or ti would defnatly start complying

i did sign the petition even with the ti rating on it because the whole thing has been handled wrong. jacko doesn't like me much because of what i have said on this thread and has told me what he thinks about it and i still stand by my opinion but what was done was wrong and didn't solve the underlying issue of how to moniter and correct problems. so sign the petition and also send some ideas to uspa on how to regulate or fix the situation and maybe this whole thing will get fixed

Your chance and everyone elses chance to change things if you do not like the current USPA BOD is coming up. If you vote then rant. If you don't then you really have no right to spout.
Signing petitions for this incident is fine, but for long term effect find out about the canidates and send in your form. This goes for everyone who has a problem and wants to do something about it...
And if people at this dz said things long before it became public forum stuff and it was rejected because, 1, "you are not a TI so Shut up, or 2, "just shut up", then people did what they were supposed to. Take it to a higher power.
It didn't get handled by the dz S&TA's so someone had to step in and make it right.
You have to agree that something needed to happen to bring the departed back into the fold.
Don't you?
Do you think it is ok to fly a tandem student like that?
lt

Well Tom first of all congratulations you have once again resorted to the anger you still hold from quitting. I have done nothing wrong to you and I will sign the petition. I have done as many tandems as you and have enough experience to have an opinion so go easy on telling me to shut up. We were friends we got our AFF ratings together hung out and then you quit and evrersince then you have some beef. Don't get aggressive on a forum at me. You wanted the guys rattings pulled and now you are all for a petition that's a little backward don't you think? Anyway stop stabbing at me on this forum pm me, call me or hell, you know where I live grow up..... and by the way did you not read the forum when I said it was a bad move and did you read my post when I told makeithappen that I did say something to the guy do a little research back through the thread before attacking. Like I said pm me or something with the personal stuff this thread is not for your attacks.:P
Share Everything !!!

I apologize Scotty. I did not intend to have this sound like a personal attack on you.
In my zeal to get people to vote in the upcoming USPA election you got caught it the crossfire.
My BAd.
I didn't mean to tell you to shut up.
It was about the voting. So many complain and then do nothing when they have a chance to.
Please accept my apology and thanks for calling me on it.
tom

Your chance and everyone elses chance to change things if you do not like the current USPA BOD is coming up. If you vote then rant. If you don't then you really have no right to spout.

Thanks for reading my mind. I would like to make my voice heard on this with my USPA BOD vote. The problem is I do not know who on the board was responsible for the ridiculous punishment.

As far as I can tell, the only USPA director with dirt on their hands on this is Jan Meyer for her Jerry Springer investigation on DZ.COM. Does anyone know the actual board members that decided on the ban for Jacko?

If you feel it is in any way a little harsh based on past enforcements PLEASE show your support by following Mark's guidance

Since this is such a subjective issue and there are bound to be a lot of different opinions, that bolded subordinate clause in my quote is key.

jason

Thanks for reading my mind. I would like to make my voice heard on this with my USPA BOD vote. The problem is I do not know who on the board was responsible for the ridiculous punishment.

As far as I can tell, the only USPA director with dirt on their hands on this is Jan Meyer for her Jerry Springer investigation on DZ.COM. Does anyone know the actual board members that decided on the ban for Jacko?

I do know who on the BOD voted for the outrageous punishment.
It was everyone on the Executive Committee. It was a unanimous vote.
The good news is that their actions are reviewed at the next regularly scheduled BOD mtg.
As I've already said, I think taking away Mr. Jackson's membership and AFF rating was too much.
I am positive that the penalty will be reduced at the next BOD mtg.
In the meantime, Mr. Jackson will have to jump at a non-GM DZ.
Get your facts straight next time you post.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The good news is that their actions are reviewed at the next regularly scheduled BOD mtg.
As I've already said, I think taking away Mr. Jackson's membership and AFF rating was too much.

So for me the people to vote against (or should I say not vote for) are the entire executive committee, namely:

Chair: Glenn Bangs
Members: Marylou Laughlin (regional NE), Madolyn Murdock, Mike Perry (regional Eastern), Lee Schlichtemeier (regional SW), B.J. Worth

(As well as Jan Meyer for her action in stirring the pot)

Thanks for the information.

So for me the people to vote against (or should I say not vote for) are the entire executive committee, namely:

Members: Marylou Laughlin (regional NE), Madolyn Murdock, Mike Perry (regional Eastern), Lee Schlichtemeier (regional SW), B.J. Worth

Dude, get your facts straight.
Madolyn Murdock is not running again. so it makes no difference that way.
Jan Meyer DID NOT ask for Mr. Jackson's membership and AFF ratings to be pulled.
In fact, Jan Meyer sent and email to the FB asking why two TI's that lost their passengers did not have any disciplinary actions taken against them and a TI that did not kill anyone, but may have engaged in some *questionable* activities has had his TI rating pulled AND his membership AND his AFF rating for SEVEN years!
If you ask me the USPA EC, is totally f**ked on the Jackson case.
How that happened is a case of emails going this way and that way among the EC and no one on the EC saying 'Gee, i think this penalty is a bit out of whack.' The EC was essentially *told* what to do by the Chair and they did it.

BTW, Jan Meyer twice asked for the TI rating to be suspended for Mr. Jackson and was twice denied.
So if you knew the facts of this case, you would know that Jan Meyer did not precipatate any of the disciplinary actions taken by the EC as an interim motion. The EC Chair repeatedly dismissed any requests from Jan Meyer. And then on his own accord, based upon different information, told the EC how to vote on such-n-such IM.

The USPA system of checks and balances is out of whack. It is time for a change. Our leadership is not serving the membership well.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

AFF...Fine, but I am not sure about Tandem. And that would keep me from signing any petition.

My stance on this as well.

As soon as someone issues separate petitions for the USPA membership, the other rating, and Tandem, I'll gladly sign two of them.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Or vote FOR them. Which is what I am going to do. Reckless activities involving passengers should not be allowed.

1. The instructor should have known better.
2. The S&TA's should have stopped it.

As it was it required action from a higher body to stop these acts. It should have never gone that far. These people you are so quick to want to vote out have done MUCH more for the sport than *any* ONE instructor.

And if the instructor had been following the rules of the tandem manufactorer, this would never have happend. If the S&T's had done thier job, nothing would have happend. (From what I have been told...If the Instructor had not basicly gone off on a few Directors when they told him to stop this would not have happend either.)

There are three people to blame for this action...In order:
1. Jacko.
2. The two S&TA's
3. The BOD.

I happen to think the AFF and membership is a bit much, but taking his Tandem rating seems right on. And, like I said before, if someone wants to float a petition to get his AFF and membership back, I'll be glad to sign it.

Edit to add:
I would have been much happier if the stunts had never been done, been stopped by the instructor or stopped by the S&TA's long before the BOD had to get involved. I don't care that some think this thread was the reason the BOD got involved (It was not), but I am glad that we all now know that this was a bad idea and we should not be doing it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Guess I made my point about voting.
The EC needs something, I am not sure what...
Since none of us know the real story about who asked him to stop and how long it took him to stop after he was "asked to do so" and why some of them looked the other way for so long and then jumped on him like he was on fire. I heard that Glenn B. had seen this and knew it was happening.
But again if he was asked to stop and he didn't maybe that is why they acted so harshly...
And I give credit to anyone standing up and giving their opinion. That is what this country is about.
I am voting for you Jan!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe you don't want me too but I amB|
Anyway, if we are all a little safer for it...
lt

But again if he was asked to stop and he didn't maybe that is why they acted so harshly...
reply]

Yet again more speculation! The fact of the matter is he was asked to stop only once by a regional director and he stopped immediately! That was three months ago.

Now there is no more need for furthur speculations on this subject!

...and that goes for you too as well Ron