MikeFB2764

Good Idea? Bad Idea?

First of all yes I did say something and as for the jump numbers the web site is not always kept up to date as I still have 3000 jumps on that page. You seem to be asking me why didn't he have the sense or intelligence, mind set blah blah blah but I am not he so ask him yourself and while your at it why don't you put some info about yourself on your profile like stated before COME OUT OF THE CLOSET. I know for a fact people in the caliber you refer to have seen this and did nothing I was simply stating that some of the blame lies with previous places. You obviously missed the message of my statement and instead propetuate rage and hostility. That's your cross to bare...BLUE SKIES WHO EVER YOU ARE.

I had a similar exchange with Jan before I met her and knew her CV. Jan is very direct and forthright and it can sometimes (I did initially) be interpreted as hostility or condescenscion (there's no way I spelled that right).

Anyhow. Read through the percieved bluster and her analysis is just about always right on.

JP

Let me clarify...What I was trying to say was that higher ups have said naught (as you ascertained) when learning of this previously. I'm not going into the details of who, when, where, and why, becuase frankly it's not my place. Hence, the problem is deeper than the individual and may be evidence of a larger problem with the community. It's interesting to me that the forum itself brought this situation to light, when other agencies have not afforded this attention in the past. However, I do believe that this is now being dealt with by said agencies and should be left to them, not to the building angry mobs.

Beyond that mate, what I want to say is that I've said my peace (and so has every other c#nt). In all, the situation was brought to a forum--discussed--analyzed--behavior was changed--and authorities brought into the matter. It is now being dealt with by the people who have made it their careers to deal with these matters. If that is your lot in life (which I am guessing it may be) then great. Get busy. Educate the public. And change our system of checks and balances.

But personally, I do not think tearing a person to shreds on a forum is the best way of dealing with the situation. It is difficult to see someone you know being ripped apart publicly, especially when you feel as though they are being held up as the scapegoat (as many, in many different arenas, and levels, of the skydiving community have witnessed personally and have done nothing). I do not agree with the vendetta and witch hunt, which I see brewing at the time being.

For me, skydiving will always be a supportive community, not a divisive one. I hope your experience is the same. Because its a legendary family. As a member of this family, I feel compelled to speak my peace and stand up for them.

Honestly mate, I wish everyone all the best. But I can not take the vibe that's going on now.

As some of you may know, I am an Ozzy...and we have a great reputation for saying it like it is. So...to all of the instructors out there wanting to spice up your tandem days...stop f#cking with the industry and DO MORE FUN JUMPS to push the envelope.

Blue skies, Scotty
Share Everything !!!

Let me clarify...What I was trying to say was that higher ups have said naught (as you ascertained) when learning of this previously. I'm not going into the details of who, when, where, and why, becuase frankly it's not my place. Hence, the problem is deeper than the individual and may be evidence of a larger problem with the community. It's interesting to me that the forum itself brought this situation to light, when other agencies have not afforded this attention in the past. However, I do believe that this is now being dealt with by said agencies and should be left to them, not to the building angry mobs.

I would count me as part of the 'said agencies' and not part of the 'angry mobs'.
A lot of that 'who, what, where, when, how' stuff is not completely known to said agencies. If you, or someone else, won't tell the said agencies, who will?

Beyond that mate, what I want to say is that I've said my peace (and so has every other c#nt).

Glad to see you are not propagating the hostility.

In all, the situation was brought to a forum--discussed--analyzed--behavior was changed--and authorities brought into the matter. It is now being dealt with by the people who have made it their careers to deal with these matters. If that is your lot in life (which I am guessing it may be) then great. Get busy. Educate the public. And change our system of checks and balances.

Exactly.

But personally, I do not think tearing a person to shreds on a forum is the best way of dealing with the situation. It is difficult to see someone you know being ripped apart publicly, especially when you feel as though they are being held up as the scapegoat (as many, in many different arenas, and levels, of the skydiving community have witnessed personally and have done nothing). I do not agree with the vendetta and witch hunt, which I see brewing at the time being.

If it comes across like that, perhaps it is because the 'authorities' do not have the information you have.

As some of you may know, I am an Ozzy...and we have a great reputation for saying it like it is. So...to all of the instructors out there wanting to spice up your tandem days...stop f#cking with the industry and DO MORE FUN JUMPS to push the envelope.

I'm not an Ozzy, but I think I have the same reputation.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Dear Jan,

With all due respect...you are the authorities...and with the comments and videos you have attached, I believe that you have plenty of knowlege regarding this topic. I don't believe that this is the place for your investigation. And I will not publicly engage in this debate any more. Peace, love, unity and all that good stuff.

Blue skies,
Scotty

P.S. By the way, the word "c#nt" is purely farmiliar and not hostile (at least where I am from)
Share Everything !!!

Tom said:

This is related to the other thread about what is happening to skydiving in general.

When I posted those comments, I did it in such a way that people who knew me would know exactly what I was talking about (and now we all know) and those who didn't..... well, I got pm'd after that by people thinking it was their own dz. I even had someone pm me and think I was talking about Ottawa (I guess they saw my location). That really made me laugh because back before the old man put himself in, yeah, everything I said totally applied there. Now, believe it or not, I keep hearing about things changing for the better over there.

Ok.... but the point is, there's questionable crap going at lots of places, not just at Hinckley... which leads me to what...

...Scotty said:

Three dropzones have allowed this behavior in the past with seemingly no consequences.

Scotty, you've got a very important point here!

Personally, being the old, jaded, crotchety, self-righteous, vindictive SOB that I am... I want 'em all swinging by their family jewels!!! hehehe....

Yeah, we know what happened at these other DZs. From the perspective of the authorities, all they have is hearsay evidence, which is insufficient for enforcement, although I think Jan had a still or something from CK, right? BUT, with the Hinckley case, even without the public lynching in progress, the videos alone show the magnitude of what has been happening that is so outrageous and over-the-top, that I really believe USPA and Strong's hands are tied here and there's no leeway for showing any forgiveness.

And now I'm gonna write that again a little differently: when you have a single still or video from a DZ, you can argue that nobody else knew about this, and even consider the fact it was a one-time incident and simply warn the TI. Here, we have a hundred videos spanning months, that when taken together, put this in a whole new light, showing the systematic recklessness, and the number of people actively participating in it. It is a "whole new ball game."

Scotty my friend, I'm happy to read your post where you say you haven't worked there in a few months so that way you aren't pulled into this mess.

BTW, IMHO, Jan is doing the right thing here because her posting here is enabling her to get new leads for her investigation that she otherwise has no other way to get because dropzone.com has pretty much become THE way to reach the masses! ;-)

This is a witch hunt, there are many TIs doing this, and it takes alot of control to be able to do so.
USPA and strong cannot act on this as they have known for many years it was going on and commended the individual in question whilst standing with him and watching the videos and praising him for being such a talented instructor.

This is a witch hunt, there are many TIs doing this, and it takes alot of control to be able to do so.
USPA and strong cannot act on this as they have known for many years it was going on and commended the individual in question whilst standing with him and watching the videos and praising him for being such a talented instructor.

You know what... you are totally right.... this thread is done. The topic has been discussed ad nauseum and there isn't anything to be learned here anymore. Now let's just leave it to the authorities.... Have a nice day! ;-)

Hey Scotty,
Don't get so angry dude. Some of the posters here won't even put up thier name. How passionate can they feel anonymously.
I applaud you for standing up for what you think, misplaced as that may be;):P:o.
Did anyone notice that when you had your problem you were pulled off the website right away and they still have (the dzo's that is) themselves listed as S&TA's. Isn't that false advertising??????
Wish I had the money to buy them out...again.
Keep up the work...
yo
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

Jacko is a sdu coach!At the coach courses at crosskeys we also used him as an evaluator.
The sdu website is often out of date, i know first hand as my listing on there is also completely wrong.
I have been on staff at Crosskeys since 2002 and i havent even made the staff page yet!!!
Kimberley Worthington SDU campus director
DeLand campus 2001-2003
Crosskeys campus 2003 onwards.

Jacko is a great Instructor ....I think this whole thread has got out of hand.

Yo Tom...There was no agression. I just saw an angry pattern forming and would hope someone would defend me if I was ripped apart publically. We're family yo. Also, I understand that a certain person was just doing their job, but like I stated they had lots of videos and pics on their first post. Joining the which hunt was not necessary. Peace.
Share Everything !!!

You know what, If they take his ratings it will be VERY hypocritical... not to mention unfair... His safety record is impeccable.
Take his ratings along with at least 16 other TI's that i know of doing this on a regular basis.
If you make an example of one you must make an example of all.

ScottyReedman . The problem is that the "authorities" aren't doing their job. As usual they are as inconsistent as always. Down here in Fl the rumor mill is already working overtime as to why this particular instructor is so untouchable. Something to do with being buddies with whoever is on top of the CK staff list (Just rumor though)Beware if it was some instructor in Kansas with 200 tandem jumps who did this. I doubt seriously if he would this kind of protection.(Nothing against Kansas)

Scotty :Your opinions in my eyes, are a bit bias. You are on the CSC staff, your livelihood as a TI is not affected as you are not a USAP TI anymore and both of you are Aussies (I though the TI in question was British. Somehow I got that wrong)

Let’s give you this scenario. I drive my car down A1A with an unsuspecting passenger and gets pulled over for DUI. My explanation to Mr. Policeman. Please let me off with slap on the wrist. I did wrong and I know it now. I have driven drunk 7500 times and never caused an accident. I’m very experienced and know how to drive. Just think for a minute what that officer answer will be. Every action has a consequence

Secondly you say that thinking "this will affect my livelyhood"is absurd. May a ask you to think again. One more tandem fatality this year. Media gets hold of this, USPA get questioned, FAA gets involved and overrules the USPA, Senators get involved and a mandatory hold gets put on Tandems until an investigation is completed .I can't sell my Tandem Rig on Ebay for $10 bucks. I'm still making payments on it. So, to get back to you. You are not doing tandem for living anymore, thus this disqualifies you to tell me it not a concern. Every action has a consequence, whether good or bad

As I said previously. I don't think the USPA will do anything. We are supposed to police our self and they are supposed to protect my interest too. Obviously thy are very selective who's interest to protect. I’ll retract this statement if they surprise me and actually do somthing

Think man,Think

HI!
Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth on this subject, and by doing so I will leave this forum and never return.

I met Jacko about 4 years ago, and seen him do these things over and over again.
Jacko is one of the BEST skydivers I have ever met, be it while instructing, coaching doing a tandem, freeflying, belly flying or what ever else you can do in the skydiving world, including flying the planes.
At no point did I ever consider what he did to be unsafe, on the video in question the student is safely in the harness, and yes there is a lot of seperation between the student and Jacko, but all 4 conector snaps are in place and the drogue is out.
I am a Strong and Vector/Sigma rated Tandem instructor, and I jump the Strong system all the time, you can ask anyone that has used this equipment and they will tell you that the students harness system slips all the time no matter what you do, something that doesn't happen on the verctor harnesses because the webbing is doubled.
I have had a student snug to me and in freefall had them slide away (the lower conector slip).
I have done the move in question in the past, and because of this situation stopped.
I think that people should stop and think before they write, they should check information and maybe even play with a Strong student harness and see the slipping problem I am talking about, all the hardware on a strong student harness slips, including the leg straps on the Tandem rig itself...

Thanks.

Yonatan Ran

You know what I don't have that many tandems only about 1200 or so and I can tell you that my student harness has never slipped to the degree that these harness's are off their students and the ti.

And since I check all my straps and stuff before we leave the plane I can say my student or my harness for that matter hasn't slipped to the degree that you describe. And knowing they slip why would you want to put that much more slack in the system???
The slack needed to do these maneuvers!
Makes no sense to me at all. And I agree that just looking at his vids he has alot of experience and talent. But again you must look at the big picture and right now we do not need the scrutiny.
And I have personall knowledge of one of his students that was slightly hurt and sick from the jump she did with him...
But not knowing any better she didn't want to make a big deal out of it...
And I agree with the post about teaching people to skydive and giving them a taste of what it is really like and it ain't like that...most of the time anyway...
peace out
yo
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

BTW, IMHO, Jan is doing the right thing here because her posting here is enabling her to get new leads for her investigation that she otherwise has no other way to get because dropzone.com has pretty much become THE way to reach the masses! ;-)

This is just grand. We have an elected director doing an investigation in Skydiving's equivalent of the Jerry Springer show. Says a lot about her credibility to me.

Now for our ace witnesses on the Jerry Springer show....err....i mean trial.

Hello witness #1, do you have an axe to grind with the DZ? Good. Let me ask you this question: How many times did you drink a beer or smoke a joint before taking up a tandem. Wow...there goes your credibility as someone only concerned about safety.

Hello witness #2. You are only concerned about safety as well, right? Good. How many thousands of jumps have you made with the sole intention of jumping through thick clouds? Rumor has it you would not even jump unless the clouds were a certain thickness....say 5,000 feet or more. Blue skies = stay on the ground for you. That doesn't sound safe. As a matter of fact it sounds like an FAA violation.

Welcome to the Jerry Springer show where our only concern is safety. Sure. [:/]

This is just grand. We have an elected director doing an investigation in Skydiving's equivalent of the Jerry Springer show. Says a lot about her credibility to me.

Now for our ace witnesses on the Jerry Springer show....err....i mean trial.

Hello witness #1, do you have an axe to grind with the DZ? Good. Let me ask you this question: How many times did you drink a beer or smoke a joint before taking up a tandem. Wow...there goes your credibility as someone only concerned about safety.

Hello witness #2. You are only concerned about safety as well, right? Good. How many thousands of jumps have you made with the sole intention of jumping through thick clouds? Rumor has it you would not even jump unless the clouds were a certain thickness....say 5,000 feet or more. Blue skies = stay on the ground for you. That doesn't sound safe. As a matter of fact it sounds like an FAA violation.

Welcome to the Jerry Springer show where our only concern is safety. Sure. [:/]

What tree did you fall out of ???

I have one questions and then I will go and grovel in my Corona

WHY ?? Why does this instructor have to do this ??????

For the life of me I do not see the necessity. Why does he have to do this ?? Does it give the student something?? Does it bring more Tandem Students to the DZ? Because he can ??? .Does it make for a better video for whuffos (I personally detest the word whuffos ) Why I ask you ?? What is the benefits of this. Please someone explain this to me. Why ???Is it showboating or plain boredom ???

I don't get it. Does he only do this on video or what ???

All you guys that are confessing to what a great guy he is . Please explain to me why this is necissary

OK. One more time :

You guys that are standing up for this guy

WHY ???????? . Why is he doing this . Please explain explain to me why this is necissary ? It is a simple question. Please don't tell me he has to explain it ,because you know he won't.

Telling me he is a nice guy doesn't cut it

You know what, If they take his ratings it will be VERY hypocritical... not to mention unfair... His safety record is impeccable.
Take his ratings along with at least 16 other TI's that i know of doing this on a regular basis.
If you make an example of one you must make an example of all.

I know of 26 peolpe who were speeding and were never caught, I know of 11 people who were evading taxes and were never caught ,I know 9 guys who cheated on their wifes and were never caught. This guy got busted. He and his DZO bragged about it all over the web and other media and got busted .

What is your point ?? It's hypocritical for not pointing the others out