MikeFB2764

Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Being a Tandem Examiner for Strong Enterprises. I would ground this Instructor and then forward all evidence to Strong Enterprises. This is completely stupid and unproffesional. The Tandem jump should be about the student and their experience only! With face shots of the paying jumper.
The video to a non jumper looks as if they are out of control, this not only looks bad for the Instructor, but for the DZ as well.

I wont be suprised if he does'nt loose his rating in light of the recent Tandem accidents.
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

This is not from Skydive Chicago. The stills that I posted as well as the video were from Chicagoland Skydiving (Hinckley). Also, Skydive Chicago uses Vector Tandem rigs and Strong Tandem Rigs are being used in these photos.

I'm pretty sure he meant "people who act responsibly", not "culpable people". ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I would hope that the USPA would do something about this to help protect our sport.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The straps don't have to be loose for this person to fall out, especially when the side straps are this loose. It is inevitable.
People were asking "how could anyone let this happen" when referring to the two students that fell from the harnesses.
They are apparently still letting it happen!
I don't mind people making themselves "learning experiences" but for god sake "be an idiot on your own time" not with someone else!
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

If you are in the region... write to your RD about it ;)

I'm not.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

since we are already talking about possible complications arising from stunts like these ones, i'd like to remind all of us of the following statement, issued on mai 31 in the wake of the ohio tandem incident (see here for further details):

it is imperative that tandem instructors and safety personnel examine and review tandem harness fitting and adjustment procedures available from the manufacturers.

fitting and adjustment of the harness as seen in the pics and the videos provided and shown off proudly on the linked website is is no fucking way in compliance with the rules from the manufacturer. so the real question is not if but when the jumper in question will get his ass chewed from strong enterprises and his rating will be pulled
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

jan what's going on with this guy? Did USPA do anything?

There were complaints filed with USPA.
The action that the RD took included pulling the S&TA appointments from the 2 DZOs and writing a letter to the TI that basically slapped the TI on the hand and said, "Don't do that again" and threatened him with disciplinary action if it (the hopping over to the side of the student) happened again.
One of the complainants has appealed the RD actions for review by the Executive Committee.
That is currently 'in progress'. I do not have a timeline on when that appeal will be discussed by the Executive Committee.
The complainant wants a more severe penalty imposed for the TI.

This information comes from one of the complainants, who gave permission to the status of this action to all that may inquire.

Please also note that the RD may not comment on this action as it is still in progress, as specified in the Gov. Manual Sec. 1-6.5.F.2

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Pulled the S&TA status for both DZO's, huh sounds like a big deal to me. Hope everyone in the chicago area sees this and thinks twice about going to this dz...Seems like poor management to me and very dangerous...
just my opinion...
yo
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

Pulled the S&TA status for both DZO's, huh sounds like a big deal to me. Hope everyone in the chicago area sees this and thinks twice about going to this dz...Seems like poor management to me and very dangerous...
just my opinion...
yo

I agree. I would NEVER recommend this person OR the camerman for agreeing to this. The TI, possibly the cameraman and that guy in the yellow in the video at the end are complete jackasses.

writing a letter to the TI that basically slapped the TI on the hand and said, "Don't do that again" and threatened him with disciplinary action if it (the hopping over to the side of the student) happened again.

If you look at the videos on Realxstream from the weekend he seems to have stopped although the laterals still look pretty long.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Not only is it a "bad idea" its negligent !!That is the one thing for sure that will void a release of liability (waiver) form.
If that TI were at this drop zone I would have 2 words for him.."Your fired!"
No discussion, no second chance.

Totally!.... and in this case, the dzos CONDONED this activity by posting these things in their weekly updates over and over! They need to fire themselves!

Ok... I'm done...

Just in case anyone missed it, MicDon has "split" this thread and put some of his own thoughts that he feels don't belong in this thread in General Skydiving

I locked the thread in General so that this important conversation doesn't get split between two threads in two different forums. cpoxon's pointer with the clicky link will remain so we don't lose MicDon's solid input on the subject.

A reminder that anyone (not just instructors) can post in this forum - as long as the content targets the subject of skydiving instruction.

Thanks,
Arrive Safely

John

Can anyone say why Ted Strong will/has not gotten involved in this "incident"? Isn't that why they have I/E's and waivers to sign for different manufacturers?
So we can police our own. I have heard it quoted from this ti that he has more tandems than alot of people have jumps. So he must be good. But we all need to look at the big picture, and realize the scrutiny we are ALL subjected to. What if all the little tm's out there decided they wanted to try it?

Just in case anyone missed it, MicDon has "split" this thread and put some of his own thoughts that he feels don't belong in this thread in General Skydiving

I locked the thread in General so that this important conversation doesn't get split between two threads in two different forums. cpoxon's pointer with the clicky link will remain so we don't lose MicDon's solid input on the subject.

A reminder that anyone (not just instructors) can post in this forum - as long as the content targets the subject of skydiving instruction.

Thanks,

tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

Geezz!! My first post and I get locked out of the playgroup.Do you mind if I repost the post here?This clicky thing from one forum to the other gives me a headache. I feel very strongly about this and for the life of me I can't understand why the TI only gets a slap on the wrist.This will only allow other TI to think that this behaviour is not being frowned upon by the USPA and Strong Enterprises and it is OK to do this kind of thing.Our livelyhoods are at stake here.I'm surprised some lawyer for the girl he took on the tandem hasn't gotten invloved and go after the Dz for "endangerment" or something stupid they can think of. Also can't understand why this DZ will keep this guy on staff and try and stand behind him against the Regional Director.Thats just digging the hole they are in ,deeper.My opinion of course.Hope this turns out OK

There has been a very interesting thread going on in the “Instructors’ forum (Good idea, Bad idea). I personally think this belongs in the General Discussions where more people can form an opinion. Maybe someone can make it sticky or link. There should also be a Poll on whether this so called “instructor” should get his ratings yanked.

As an Instructor with over 2400 Tandems and also a person in the Legal field I want to put in my two cents. This could potentially hurt a lot of us and Dropzones .I think we dodged a bullet with the last two tandem passenger fatalities. This guy could potentially have shut the door on tandems and therefore take away my and many other instructors income. Not to mention the millions generated by tandems for Dropzones.

We have been closely watched over the last year when it comes to tandems and the risk the customer takes. We have lost two customers in hundreds of thousands of jumps. In my opinion it was the instructors fault in both cases. Taking this in consideration and all the attention and talk it has drawn, I can not imagine that this instructor was not aware of the added scrutiny. What did he think was going to happen if someone saw the photo and video? What did the DZO think will be the reaction of fellow jumpers and the general public after seeing the photos he e-mailed out to everyone on his mailing list and posting it on his website? If you go to the DZ’s website it calls itself the safest DZ in the Midwest and has a promo video trailer. Why not put this video as your promo trailer?

My safety input: This was in my opinion a reckless and irresponsible jump.(Apparently he has done a lot of them this way) I think that the instructor was playing with fire and was putting the customer’s life in unnecessary danger. I have seen the opinions in the other thread whether tightening the side straps are necessary or not. If they are there then they are important. The warning from the manufacturers after the last two fatalities was that they were important. Sh…t happens. What would the instructor have done should any of the following scenarios happen while standing next to the customer? Drogue bridal breaks, Customer pulled her legs up, bag comes out of the container and worst of all, premature reserve deployment. All videos from the manufacturer show you that the reserve will clear the bridal in a normal position .With this instructors standing up; he has just put that reserve straight into the bridle. Again, the unforeseen happens.

Professional input: This customer bought a video to view her jump. We as instructors all do the necessary to make their jump fun and give them your full attention. We all make jokes and fool around. We all make faces for the camera etc. Besides the fact that this video sucked (Cameraman is all over the place with his hand in the way).This guy totally wanted the show to be on him. This customer will show the video to her family and friends and all they will want to know is who the clown was and why he is doing what he was doing. It is her day and her achievement. I’m not even sure if he gave her the opportunity to pull, which in my opinion is what most customers are the proudest of after a jump. No wonder the retention rate of tandem customers is so low and the country in a whole is experiencing a decline in the growth of experienced jumpers. I think he should join the circus if he wanted the show to be on him. I don’t think he should be called a “Instructor’ He taught her nothing.

Legal input: This guy is a walking liability for this DZ and DZO. The DZO got his S&TA designation pulled. In any way you look at this, this is a disciplinary action taken by the USPA for allowing this conduct and will be seen that way by any lawyer or, if it should ever come to that, a jury. If this guy as so much as stump a customer’s toe on landing and a good ambulance chaser gets hold of it, it will be the easiest case ever handed to him. They got sanctioned by the governing body which is a guilty verdict by itself. From what I understand, they got their designation pulled because they did not want to take action against the instructor per the request of the RD (USPA Designee).I could be wrong. Even though Ted Strong does not want to take action against this, he will have a hard time defending his stance for this guy in a deposition, after the USPA took a different opinion regarding his conduct. The DZO should seriously think about getting some legal advice on this.

Dude…… Has your mother never taken you by the ear and say “THINK BOY,THINK”

That’s my two cents. Flame away
MD

Geezz!! My first post and I get locked out of the playgroup.

That sounds like you owe beer, twice over ;)

I feel very strongly about this and for the life of me I can't understand why the TI only gets a slap on the wrist.This will only allow other TI to think that this behaviour is not being frowned upon by the USPA and Strong Enterprises and it is OK to do this kind of thing.

I agree with you 100%.
I have heard from a number of jumpers about this situation. All of them say that they want to see the TI rating pulled.
I have asked people to email the Executive Committee or the full board and state their views and experiences with the said jumper.
You can easily email the entire USPA BOD at
Uspabod_AT_skydivehard.com replace _AT_ with @
You won't even be considered as a 'whistle-blower'. There is already a formal complaint filed that is currently in an appeal process. The FB already knows about this situation. They have been forwarded the following:

Riva *flv Viewer - needed for the links below

Realxstream links - goes directly to *.flv file

7 Aug 2006 - Ryan Meschez
6 Aug 2006 - Wojciech Powalka
6 Aug 2006 - Patricia Zoetveit
5 Aug 2006 - George Paleologos
5 Aug 2006 - Lisa Stuart
5 Aug 2006 - Premal Muni
5 Aug 2006 - Prashant Nisar
5 Aug 2006 - Cathy Cook
6 Aug 2006 - Rob Pritts
4 Aug 2006 - Vandana Gandhi
4 Aug 2006 - Jordan Jones
4 Aug 2006 - Lauren Milbourne
4 Aug 2006 - Gary Finn
29 Jul 2006 - Yukari Ohtomo
29 Jul 2006 - Jessica Oehler
29 Jul 2006 - Fernando Cepeda
30 Jul 2006 - Charity Spargo
30 Jul 2006 - Jennifer Jabczmski
30 Jul 2006 - Kyle Kavanough
28 Jul 2006 - Lindsey Carmichael
30 Jul 2006 - Robert Forler
29 Jul 2006 - Tomoko Nakao
28 Jul 2006 - Paul Peterson
28 Jul 2006 - Jenelle Chapman
27 Jul 2006 - Dawn Welch
23 Jul 2006 - Kyle Duff
23 Jul 2006 - Robert Kobuch
23 Jul 2006 - Liz Burns
23 Jul 2006 - Colleen Fanning
23 Jul 2006 - Michael Breedlove
23 Jul 2006 - Kurt Hoover
23 Jul 2006 - Jennie Kallembach
23 Jul 2006 - Gregorz Rusztowicz
22 Jul 2006 - Linda Sullivan
22 Jul 2006 - Tyresa Dixon
22 Jul 2006 - Antoine Stuckey
22 Jul 2006 - Dan Reyes
22 Jul 2006 - Peter Finlley
23 Jul 2006 - Boris Shogan
21 Jul 2006 - Tracy Mizera
21 Jul 2006 - Joe Pulichenc
23 Jul 2006 - Loni Wiedemann
16 Jul 2006 - Amanda Motz
16 Jul 2006 - Nickolas Clemens
16 Jul 2006 - Jean Ann Jordan
16 Jul 2006 - Karolina Szotko
15 Jul 2006 - Mary Buth
15 Jul 2006 - Michael Cumbee
15 Jul 2006 - Mackenzie Rakers
15 Jul 2006 - Anthony Miaoulls
15 Jul 2006 - Kim Blake
15 Jul 2006 - Ying Hsu
16 Jul 2006 - Catherine Warren
16 Jul 2006 - Judith Bilitzki
16 Jul 2006 - Kelsey Brown
13 Jul 2006 - Shelley Ostrom
13 Jul 2006 - Vanessa Buckley <- This one is the most scariest.
14 Jul 2006 - Heather Hall
13 Jul 2006 - Frank Daly
15 Jul 2006 - Paul Merrey
9 Jul 2006 - Brian Urbanczyk
8 Jul 2006 - Meghan Thompson
8 Jul 2006 - Jennifer Kalmus
8 Jul 2006 - Steve Minogue
8 Jul 2006 - Yuri Kaplansky
8 Jul 2006 - Leanne Bender
8 Jul 2006 - Michael Staehlin
8 Jul 2006 - Joe Dumovich
6 Jul 2006 - Jeff Griffin
6 Jul 2006 - David Griffin
6 Jul 2006 - Shawn Savage
5 Jul 2006 - Stephanie Friedlund
4 Jul 2006 - Jay Vinas
5 Jul 2006 - Tiffany Ketelsen
3 Jul 2006 - Sriram Srinivasan
4 Jul 2006 - Amanda Bradley
1 Jul 2006 - Sean Flahavis
1 Jul 2006 - Timothy Marks
3 Jul 2006 - Vijayarvnar Rangarat
4 Jul 2006 - Leon Mcneil
1 Jul 2006 - Inka Waly
2 Jul 2006 - William Murray
1 Jul 2006 - Patricio Aguilar
1 Jul 2006 - Scott Gira
1 Jul 2006 - Wendy Jurinek
30 Jun 2006 - Don Shearer
30 Jun 2006 - Ryan McKenna
29 Jun 2006 - Armin Teuchtmann.at
29 Jun 2006 - Eric Goll
29 Jun 2006 - Meghan Ginnan
30 Jun 2006 - Jennifer Brockway
26 Jun 2006 - Sam Talarczyk
6 Jul 2006 - Ray Gerrity
24 Jun 2006 - Keli Goddard
24 Jun 2006 - Katie Enright
19 Jun 2006 - Nick Horween
23 Jun 2006 - Renardo Gist
19 Jun 2006 - Denise Olsen
6 Jul 2006 - John Zinzer
17 Jun 2006 - Keegan Kok
19 Jun 2006 - Mike Clark

My safety input: This was in my opinion a reckless and irresponsible jump.(Apparently he has done a lot of them this way) I think that the instructor was playing with fire and was putting the customer’s life in unnecessary danger.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker