MikeFB2764

Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Does anyone know who it is and maybe ask what happened?

I know a few years ago there were a couple of instructors playing with a body position similar to that and apparently it was super stable and rock solid under the drogue. That TI is probably goofing off for the camera, which is fine, but look at what its doing to the harness...personally it really bugs me when I see laterals that long.

However, I was not on that jump, I don't know that TI and we're forming an opinion from 1/10th of a second in the skydive. So who knows for sure.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

taken down? why? are they not supposed to be doing that?

...don't know. I got came across the picture as part of the newsletter they send out. Shortly after this post, it was taken offline.

I came across this link that shows a video of the same tandem master (I think) doing the same thing.

http://www.realxstream.com/?XStreamID=28589

I think someone at Zhills (?) got their rating yanked for doing something similar a number of years back. Doesn't look like a great idea, but I'm not a TI, so I can't really say. I can say I think it makes the video more about the TI and less about the student. If I brought a friend or family member out to do a tandem, I wouldn't want the TI to be doing this with them.

EDIT: You might want to move this to the instructor's forum - you'd get more responses.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Holy c***,Have not seen anything like thet before. I am a TI and still learn a lot. I would not want to be in that spot. Laterals Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!. Its all about the student.Is that maybe a Photoshop edit?Jokes. I dont think it is a good idea but thats just me.I walk with no limp:o
TQ
I am me and you are you, so deal with it!!!
www.skydivepe.com

First of all as a TI I would never consider having the laterals that loose on my passenger, any number of things can go wrong. Second of all, apart from being a stupid thing to do, the TI should be showing of for the camera like that. The focus of the whole video is the student not the TI trying to upstage the student or be the centre of attention. The passenger pays a lot of money for there videos it should be all about them not what the guy on the back can do to show off.
Personally i think any TI who is stupid enough to do that should have there TI rating pulled

That picture clearly shows that the laterals are only pulled in a few inches at the most. Correct me if I'm wrong since its been a few years since I've had a tandem rating but wasn't loose laterals found to contribute to Side spin fatalities?B|
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Oh hell no.

1. The laterals have to be loose to pull that little trick off. This can cause a problem and loose laterals have been linked to side spins.

2. The jump is for the student, not for the TI to show off.

An instructor I know did have a rating pulled years ago for this kind of thing. And then was talked to by another rig company.

It is just a bad idea all around.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I seriously doubt that the TM paid for all the slots for the ammount of photos and video there is of him doing this. I counted at least 9 videos of this online. In 2 different pictures and in the video it is all different people. Looking through the RealXtreem videos this TM is doing something similar on every one of his jumps. In one while he is going drogueless he invites the video flyer in for a dock then tosses the drogue while the video is still holding on. In another the Video flyer takes a dock on his outstreched foot while off to the side. In a few I was able to see the laterals flapping since they are all the way loose. :o

All the videos I've seen show that the TM is clearly the focus of the video and not the student. [:/] At no point is there any instruction going on other then showing the altimeter into the students face and moving their hand to the ripcord.

I am just shocked that this is allowed as a normal tandem jump at this DZ... :o
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I completely agree with you. I believe the "TI paid for the slots" is not enough exscuse to risk anyones well being. I am not here to persecute anyone but EVEN IF the passenger and the TI were both experienced jumpers the TI still has an obligation to the USPA, the company that issued the rating and to his or her DZ to keep the jump within "as safe as possible conditions" The side spin is an almost uncontrollable condition in which once it starts it is extremely difficult and in some situations impossible to recover from. What is controllable to a point is the situations that caused the side spin. Leaving the straps this loose is an extremely bad decision and thankfully for the people doing it they have gotten away with it so far. I just pray that they have seen the pros and cons and have fixed their harness tightening procedures.
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

Then I retract my prior politically correct statement and replace it with. Damn, Thats Dumb!
You would think with the current events in tandem jumping, someone would have the sense to tell him...Hey maybe that isn't the best Idea.
Where have all the responsible people gone?
This is simply my opinion.
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

Damn, Thats Dumb!

Check out this video

Couple of freeze frames from that video attached here.

I think the responsible people, out in that area, are over at Skydive Chicago.

Please - someone tell GoFast that 'Australian Honey' falls into the category of 'five syllable words'.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

That last shot is a bit scary, if the butt strap were loose, that person could potentially slide out on opening. I started my tandem instruction at CSC, they were always safety obsessive then. The owners are good people and I am sure they will maintain a safe operation.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Damn, Thats Dumb!

Check out this video

Couple of freeze frames from that video attached here.

I think the responsible people, out in that area, are over at Skydive Chicago.

Please - someone tell GoFast that 'Australian Honey' falls into the category of 'five syllable words'.

This is not from Skydive Chicago. The stills that I posted as well as the video were from Chicagoland Skydiving (Hinckley). Also, Skydive Chicago uses Vector Tandem rigs and Strong Tandem Rigs are being used in these photos.

-Mike