martz

TI : Do you control the passenger

Remember there are always TWO none drogue falls each jump.

fixed it for ya: Remember there is always ONE none drogue fall each jump when you jump strong gear

*smartassmodeoff*
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Get big and out fly them.

I will re-emphasize that point! For many areas of skydiving, body motions need to be subtle to avoid overcontrolling. When dealing with the mass and unintended control inputs of a tandem student, it can be useful to lunge out with arms and legs, grabbing as much air as possible. (Edit: To be precise, it's not just the force of air, but also distance from center of mass for greatest torque.)

Think about how agressively style jumpers grab air. A tandem instructor shouldn't just lie there in a boxman position, tilt their legs and upper body a little bit as for a conventional solo turn, and complain about how the student was turning them.

I also hook the legs for the opening. Something about watching those feet fly up over their heads gives me the heebie geebies.

Aaron

I'm so far from an instructor that it's not even funny, so I know I should stay outta here--BUT, given that I'm doing my first tandem on the 19th, I really appreciate you saying something about there being a way to keep legs from flying around like mad. That creeps me out in watching other tandem dives and now I know there's something I can request so it doesn't happen to ME.
TPM Sister #102

I'm so far from an instructor that it's not even funny, so I know I should stay outta here--BUT, given that I'm doing my first tandem on the 19th, I really appreciate you saying something about there being a way to keep legs from flying around like mad. That creeps me out in watching other tandem dives and now I know there's something I can request so it doesn't happen to ME.

Wow Woman! You’re a girl who does her homework! Must be the lawyer in ya.

I wouldn’t be comfortable hooking you at deployment; it’s just not something I do. Skydivers will tense at the hips on deployment, it’s not something that I think about, but seems to come naturally. Why don’t you ask your TI to give you a good indication that he’s about to deploy (whatever he/she’s used to), or if YOU start the main deployment you’ll obviously know, then just “un-relax” a bit. My guess is that if you know you’re about to deploy, you’ll automatically tense up a little naturally.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

You’re a girl who does her homework! Must be the lawyer in ya.

I can't help it. I'm thinking AFF (too much wind tunnel time will do this to you) and so I'm obsessing about wanting to know it all--RIGHT NOW! (Which again proves that lawyers are nothing but trouble.) Thanks for an alternative suggestion. I (eh-hem) like control!

TPM Sister #102

I'll do whatever it takes to control the student and as a wise man once told me, the battle is won on the ground before we ever board the aircraft.

If the student deviates from what I taught them, then I worry about outflying them. It doesn't have to be pretty, only safe. Leg wrap them, get big...whatever works for you.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

I'd just mention something about the concern to your TI, as hooking your legs may not be his preferred method. The pivot that causes that whip-like reaction starts with being head low as the canopy deploys. Not being head low means the rotation only goes to approximately vertical.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'd just mention something about the concern to your TI, as hooking your legs may not be his preferred method. The pivot that causes that whip-like reaction starts with being head low as the canopy deploys. Not being head low means the rotation only goes to approximately vertical.

Blues,
Dave

I think that's the approach I'll take--thanks! It's helpful to know this, and hopefully I'll connect with a TI who knows what they're doing. I have my short list of things to discuss before we get on the plane and this will definitely be one of them! As I said, I just appreciate knowing that there are options and ways to minimize the leg-snap.

Sorry, guys, I didn't mean to de-rail the conversation but I definitely appreciate the input!
TPM Sister #102

I don't ever "hook" their legs. The closest I get to that is if in droguefall their legs are off to one side of mine, I'll "scoop" them back in between mine or reach down and push them with my hand into a more normal position. I don't ever hold their legs with mine though.

If we are in a turn I'll compensate with my body position unless it gets to be too bad at which point I'll release the drogue a little earlier. I've noticed that these turns tend to happen more often when there is a camera in their face, so they're probably focusing more on the camer than on a relaxed arch.

If they pull their knees up on exit and overrotate us (back flips from 182) I'll just hold it a little longer until I have more airspeed to work with before throwing the drogue.

Works for me...

SkydiveAllegan.com