freefalle

TI's what kind of suits do you wear

This post is kind of a spin off of another thread that I didn't want to Hijack. But I was curious to find out what other tandem masters are wearing on tandems and why.

I wear black BDU pants and a tee shirt during the summer and a turtle neck during the winter. I have a big baggy freefly suit that I have worn with larger passengers but I find it doesn't slow me down that much. I'm 6'2 230 lbs so I fall fairly fast regardless of what I'm wearing

I wear the bdu pants for 2 reasons 1 they are comfortable and 2 they are cheap. I slide in probably 95% of my landings, so I wear the butt out pretty quickly, Id rather wear out the butt on a pair of 20.00 BDU pants than a 250.00 freefly suit.

I Have just ordered on of the Oragan tandem jackets, they are nice, padded, and baggy enough to provide some drag for most tandem instructors, plus they look warm.

I used to wear my FF suit. Tandems killed that suit. I have a pair of baggy MX pants that I started wearing with a t-shirt. Baggy and tough as nails.

Any more I typically wear what I wore to the DZ. Jeans, t-shirt, that sort of thing. There's a couple of video guys that are little-nothings and have trouble doing 120-125 while getting the right angle for the video, so I'll wear my FF suit on those jumps.

Otherwise, when doing back to back to backs in the summer in TX I found it safer for me to wear comfortable street clothes so I don't over heat. Having had really bad heat exhaustion in the past, I find it very easy to get it again.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Spring and Fall, Firefly freefly pants with a sweatshirt or long sleeve t shirt. Summer, freefly pants with a t-shirt or tank top.

I've done a handful of tandems with my RW suit w/booties when on a short call and no time to change, I don't really have an opinion either way, good or bad about how I flew in an RW suit, only that in the plane I was really hot and uncomfortable.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

$9.99 pair of Rustlers from Wal-Mart cut off at the knee along with a synthetic material Tshirt. It's too hot in the south to be wearing a full suit. I call it my high-tech redneck tandem suit. I slid those bad-boys in 750+ times last year and couldnt hurt them. And if they did wear out, throw em' in the gutter and go buy another.
You have to have the right attitude to wear them though as I get made fun of by my fellow jumpers. I think theyre jealous cuz they paid $200 plus for the suits they wear, that wear out after 500 jumps.

You've videoed me wearing my Ouragan Tandem Jacket but I match it with (big trade secret coming out here) Black Chefware pants. Thick cotton, rugged construction and a whopping $25 a pair! I wear the large size but the draw string waist makes them fit and the baggy pants helps me outfly the big boys!
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Summer: T-shirt and Swoop Pants over regular shorts.
Fall/Spring: Double-zipper jumpsuit (real easy to put on / take off)
Winter: Same, but with jeans and turtleneck pullover

Adjust as necessary for camera.

All of the above: Always get cordura on the knees and butt of every jumpsuit. Add extra padding to the knees of any Tandem outfit. (Cordura's available from the factory for most jumpsuits, but not on the double-zipper models I've seen. Fortunately it's pretty easy to add cordura and padding to those suits.)

As for durability, I get about 500 slide-ins out of the double-zipper suits with cordura butts.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

You've videoed me wearing my Ouragan Tandem Jacket but I match it with (big trade secret coming out here) Black Chefware pants. Thick cotton, rugged construction and a whopping $25 a pair! I wear the large size but the draw string waist makes them fit and the baggy pants helps me outfly the big boys!

Ya, you inspried me to get one of those jackets, they are nice, and when I grow up, I want to me just like you. You are one hell of a person, friend skydiver and a mentor my friend. when are you comming back?

Ya, you inspried me to get one of those jackets, they are nice, and when I grow up, I want to me just like you. You are one hell of a person, friend skydiver and a mentor my friend. when are you comming back?

you must have the wrong guy :P - I won't be back until the fall I'm sure, Chuck. Looking forward to doing some more tandumbs outa the Caravan - the 182's up here are getting kinda crowded..... :S - seriously look into the chefware pants thing. I get them from a food wholesaler up here, 'cause I slide most of them in too!!!!!!!!
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?