efs4ever

For TIs with Skyhook chops and non Skyhook chops

Just curious if you've had unusual reserve deployment issues with Skyhook deployed tandem reserve as opposed to without.

On my one Skyhook chop the canopy was out quickly, but the slider hung up too high for comfort. It took a while to get it down.

I've heard a story of more extreme stalling / rocking of the reserve canopy than typical. Most of us should be aware that the PD reserve opens rocking, but this report indicated it was extreme.

Thanks for input
https://www.tdcparole.com

I've had two reserve rides since I started doing tandems, one with a skyhook one without. The only difference I noticed between the two was the speed of the reserve deployment. I don't think that the slider hanging up on the reserve had anything to do with the skyhook deployment, but rather the canopy itself

I would argue that it DOES have something to do with the SkyHook deployment. The airspeed of the deployment is suposed to be so low that there may not be enough force to bring the slider down all the way. Simple to pump the brakes and get the slider down, doesn't sound like a big problem, but it is related.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I've only had one Skyhook tandem chop, and aside from the speed of the reserve opening, it was no different than the three non-Skyhook chops (all sub-terminal. slider all the way down, no issues with the reserve canopy).
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Well, The skyhook beat my EP's. I knew my reserve was deploying but I still pulled the reserve deployment handle out of habbit. The PD reserve did in fact rock forward and backward. I was told that this "phenomon" is due the the fact that the canopy was out, but the cells have not finished pressurising.
What ever. The skyhook may not be perfect but I like it for tandems. The sigma has many features that complement the skyhook to create one of the safest, userfriendly systems on the market..

Anyway I didn't mind the skyhook doing my job for me. I consider myself a redundent system.;)

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

he PD reserve did in fact rock forward and backward. I was told that this "phenomon" is due the the fact that the canopy was out, but the cells have not finished pressurising.

All RWS/PD tandem reserves do that after deployment regardless of the Skyhook or not. It has to do with, as far as I understand it, how deep the brakes are set on the reserve. Once you release the brakes the rocking goes away and the reserve flies great.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've had three reserve rides all on Sigma Systems with SkyHooks. All have been sub terminal, and all three times the SkyHook was quick and effective, twice I had a slider up situation, but a good pump on the brakes sorted that out no worries.

The SkyHook is a great invention, and a very good addition to any Tandem System, we all know that noting is fool proof, bit the SkyHook does add alot a safety into a reserve ride on a tandem.

My one concern was the low speed deployment of the reserve in light of pressure knots on the reserve lines (this has not happened to me, nor do I know of any case thereof). I suspect with the quick reserve deployment on the SkyHook system, that possibility is low.

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

Adam, had one today on the skyhook system,no delay, quick deployment of the reserve, no problems with the reserve. Only problem was that of the twelve tandem rigs we have online at the moment this was the only one that Adam, the staff rigger, didn't pack.Kudo's to Marcelo,chop from line twists. Blue Skies, Dave

* * * chop from line twists

Icarus, right? I've never heard of a chop from a Sigma b/c of line twists.

Icarus 365,I had one saturday with 9 twists in it.Couldn't kick out by myself so I had my student help and with a little effort it unwound.

I had my first tandem reservw ride 2 weeks ago.is there somthing I should know about the 365.I hadabout 3ft of line twist before I looked up.about 1.5 seconds from trapdoor to oh s..t.I was also on a sigme rig.

I can't give you a comparison since the Icarus canopy is the only one I have jumped at SSM with the exception of the Firebolt which I jumped twice and the toggle pressure was, in my estimation,at least 50% greater.Canopy, the Firebolt, has been grounded because of 3 cutaways,due to inabilty to release the toggles.Two where by our S and TA.I have never cutaway from the Icarus from line twists,although I have come close. Russel why did you peg the Icarus? Blue Skies, Dave

Russell why did you peg the Icarus?

Because I've almost had to chop one becuase of line twists more than once. I love the way they fly and land, but line twists have been an issue. I've heard feedback from others too.

https://www.tdcparole.com

blame your packer!!!

i have more than 350 icarus tandem jumps and only a couple of line twists, and they came out by themselves every time.

and NEVER a hard opening!!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix