freefalle

T.I.'s Do you or would you allow your camera flyer to grip the students chest strap on exit

One con would be the fact that it probably takes away from the experience for the passenger.

Not probably... I can guarantee it takes away part of the experience.

A good video is nice to have, but the passenger is there entirely for the skydive, not to make a video of themselves and have fun in the process.

I'm sure there are other cons too, but I won't speculate since I am neither a TI nor a tandem vidiot.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

As a first time tandem student, I would rather have a wide shot of the entire airplane and me leaving it. But that's just me. I know what my face looks like, and my friends who are watching the video know what my face looks like.. I want to see airplane.. and sky.. and me in it. After all, that's why I am there.

As a photographer you would want the closeup, because it's better photography.

Who's more important?

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

At that point they don't know better, they'll do anything you tell them.

What's the point anyway? It dsoesn't take a tandem instructor, video guy, 10,000 jump wonder or rocket scientist to know that the risk is not worth the reward.

Ya Ya.. you haven't seen so and so fly, he's got a million jumps and he can do it safely.... whatever.. shit can happen and it's not worth it.

I was trying to dispel the original argument that it makes for better video, which renders the debate of whether or not it is safe pretty useless.

It's unnecesary.. if you need to hold on to the passenger or harness to get a good closeup exit shot, then you are not a good enough flyer to be holding on to the passenger.

i have done this exit once - it was with my daughter but i also had a normal video also - it did take a great shot of her face but the normal video was better in all other areas - i also had a video guy that was very good but would not recommend this on a normal tandem because it did loose some video on the transition after release nor would i want to expose a student to the dangerous posibilities

That exit also puts more stress on the tandem rig, and accelerates the tandem pair even more quickly than normal. Finally if the drouge wraps, the camera guy is fucked as well.
Daniel
Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones
Tasers - Pepper Spray - Stun Guns and more!
www.dallassecuritysupply.com