steveorino

New Tandem Instructor -- any advice guys?

Have, fun. Enjoy waht you do, when you stop enjoying it quit. A tandem is NOT just another skydive. REVIEW malfunctions frequently and how to respond to them. Always assume your passenger is going to try to kill you. Dont let people lurk who you aren't 100% sure of. Know and trust your camera flyer. Don't take a student that you dont think you should. don't fly in weather or winds that you are not 100% comfortable with. Just because another tandem instructor will do something, or take a student doesn't mean you are any less of and instructor. Don't use the drogue to get stable. But dont forget to throw it.

I agree with every thing freefalle said. Set your limits and stick with them. Whether it winds, students, or who can lurk or shoot video with you. I know you have shoot a bunch of tandem video as did I before I got my rating. I learned alot from watching others. Some taught me what to do and others taught me what not to do. Use what you have seen to help you be the best TM you can. Remember to fly YOUR body, if you fly yourself it won't matter what your student is doing. Have fun.

Ugh. You shoulda never have done that. Now you 'll have to go and fly camera at other dropzones.

Honestly, I love camera flying and sometimes like doing tandems. I have a serious 4 way team I fly camera for, but they are off my home DZ. Same for the Holiday Boogie when I was doing that.

Do your best to stay in the camera rotation.

JP

I think it is really important to remember the safety concerns you have learned while getting you ratings.

when I first got my rating I was working with an older guy who had 10000+ jumps and had his tandem rating since the 80's.

complacency had slipped right in to his programme and he would constantly hassle me for continuing with what I had been taught. it was a real battle sometimes,for example he would allow customers to take large SLR's and Video cameras etc whe i most definately would not. i restrict them to small digital cameras with a long string hoop attached, the camera goes under the jumpsuit and under the chast strap! my work buddy however insisted that the camera goes above the chest strap. we were jumping a C185 and alot of the time the customers were friends. Some were annoyed with me because thier friends were allowed to do things they were not.

he was the one that had the problems with cameras coming out in freefall! busted zips on the jumnpsuits etc. there are many other examples but the moral of the story is that don't let complacency be a part of your jump, even if the experienced guys are doing things you think is unsafe! it can be a real fight sometimes but there is no compremise for safety!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I'm very fortunate that my Evaluator, Terry Goode, places no compromises on tandem safety. I have been videoing him for 8 months prior to me taking the Tandem Cert course. It was like having 8 months of ground school.

"This is NOT just another skydive!" Terry Goode

steveOrino

Always assume your passenger is going to try to kill you.

that's one of the lines that alway strikes me as BS. Maybe and most definitely some pax' is going to give you a freaking hard time. but if they were really into killing you... they'd find a better way than jumping out of an aeroplane strapped tightly to their target:S

as for the rest: agreed. plus check your handles. everytime.
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

here's what works for me:
from the boarding area until we have left the landing area NOTHING is more important in my life than my students safety.

second most important is that i do my best to make this day as special as it can be for my student.

if you ever notice yourself thinking about anything except those two things you have not done your best for your student.

rule 1 is mandatory, but i have had days where i forgot rule 2. i can tell you for a fact, the job doesn't feel like a job when you are helping the student get the most out of the experience.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin

My advice is to set your limits early, and let your DZ know your limits. I have a 220lbs student limit. That puts me about 10-15 lbs under the max weight. I orginally made the mistake of not clearly letting the DZ know my limit and they had issues with me turning away 240lbs people. (Do the math... Over the max weight of the tandem system).

Like others have said... Remember you, and only you are responsible for bringing your student back safe. It is a huge task that you have to take seriously, but IMHO, the pay off is well worth it!

Enjoy!

I took up my first "paying" students this weekend. I think I'll like throwing the drogue! Here is my second tandem. He passed out about 20 feet above the ground. I saw his feet drop and his head slump. I kicked his feet foward and prepared to slide, but I pulled out a stand up landing.

steveOrino

are you allowed a camera flyer on your first few tandems? in new zealand we have to do 20 without first to save the distraction!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I am not the most experienced TM out there - just over 150 tandems now. I agree with all that has been posted and add 1 more comment - a relaxed instructor makes for a relaxed student. Make the pax feel at ease and it makes the TM's job a lot easier.

:)

Odd!
That is the exact opposite of Perris Valley Skydiving School's old policy. PVSS routinely assigned videographers to new, problem, difficult, struggling, etc. TIs as a means of quality control. This gave the chief instructor quick feedback on how they were performing.

are you allowed a camera flyer on your first few tandems? in new zealand we have to do 20 without first to save the distraction!

When I did mine they said for the first few DONT take a small girl, out of a small plane with video......guess what my first tandem was?????? Yep tiny lady, 182 with video and stills......

My only advice would be able to interact with anyone who is to be your student. Gauging attitudes,states of mind etc, through indirect questionning, helps me a lot to ensure a good experience for my student.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

Your only purpose from the time you decide you will take that person on a skydive untill they walk away safe is their safety.
I love to tell them that they will be ok because if it happens to them it happens to me and that gives tham something tangable to think.
We know that isnt true.
Never take someone you think you can get down safe.
You better fucking know.
I am prepared to do everything uncluding give my life to protect them.
You will understand when they shove their feet at the ground on landing or go fetal out the door.
There should be nothing that they can do to cause you problems.
Learn from every jump and be ready for anything. I still experiance new stuff all the time.

Yes the money can be great but tandem is about the passenger not a paycheck. If you are too tired to be 100% sit your ass on the ground and never let a DZO intimadate you into doing one if you are not 100%.
IT WILL HAPPEN AND YOU AND ONLY YOU WILL BE RESPONCIBLE WHEN YOU HURT SOMEONE.
All that said remember if you are tense they will know it. You can get almost anyone out of the plane if you take the time to interact and impart confidance into them. Share something about you or your family with them and dont be afraid to shut the up jumpers down if they are fucking with someone who is already scared and waivering.

Chris.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions any time at
[email protected]

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

Yep, good advice. The kid dropped his legs 15 feet off the ground. I saw his head drop too, and I knew he passed out. Obviously, I had never experienced that before. Instinctively, I kicked his legs forward as we landed. Preparing to slide, I even surprised myself when we stood up. In training, my evaulator, Terry Goode, kept reminding me, "This is NOT just another skydive!" He was right in so many ways! :)

steveOrino

The recomendation is to NEVER have a new Tandem Instructor and a New Video Flyer together. When I first started flying video (before I got my TI), there was a new TI. We had to keep working with Manifest to make sure we were never paired up until we both got a lot more experience.

I guess the bottom line is, a new TI can benifit a lot from an experinced video flying with him.

Congrats on your rating and the ability to recognize that there is good recommendations out there.
Just from looking at the photos, I would like to put in some constructive criticism in if you would like it?
I would say that the one thing most instructors don't realize until later in their career is that arching is not overrated. The vast majority of tandem instructors that have just gotten their liscences try to fight the wind and to struggle with the student. I tell my TI candidates that if you are buffeting around alot 90% of the time it is your fault. TI"S fly with knees down and try to constantly grab the wind with their hands and push down.
Try this if you ever find yourself severly potato chipping with a student.....
1. Stop what are doing,
2. Take your arms and rest them on the students shoulders.
3. Exaggerate the arch (Knees up)
Try and fix the problem but first make sure the problem isn't you!
Good luck and be safe and always care!
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"